• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Not only was it just a boot, my foot wasn't even in it...I was pressed for time because my two-year old was waking up from a nap :-)

LineofSight - I was looking at the Loaded as well - three things stopped me - the relative unavailability of Springfield 1911s in MD, the fact that they disappear from the shelves almost immediately after they're up for sale, and the fact that I bought an XDM .45 the month before so money was an issue.

I understand. I haven't seen them anywhere but I was more interested in my XDm .45 which I am completely satisfied with. I've only been able to track the Loaded model on gunbroker.com. She's still a beauty regardless.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Since the .45 is a large, slow bullet, it is very possible to see it in flight. When my wife shoots her 1911 I can stand right behind her left shoulder (she's a southpaw) and watch the bullets fly through the target.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Very nice.. Do they make a model that doesn't have the back strap safety?

It's called a grip safety and as noted, it wouldn't be a 1911 with out it. At one point, before lawyers scared the gunsmiths, some would pin the safety down, so it was always "ON". Most gunsmiths if they see a gun like that will either refuse to work on it or require the owner to permit them to make it functional.

A Spanish company, Star, made some 1911 style handguns that didn't have a grip safety. Star went under in 1997 or so. The Star models were not true 1911 style guns, but decent.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Just a heads up...
    I had a Mil Spec 1911 and I could only feed it FMJ's. If I put in a semi wad cutter it would jam up like a mo-fo. Hollow points in my experience... not much better. The gun will work great with FMJ rounds but for me... it did not work well with anything else. YMMV. Good luck.

Chris

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Just a heads up...
    I had a Mil Spec 1911 and I could only feed it FMJ's. If I put in a semi wad cutter it would jam up like a mo-fo. Hollow points in my experience... not much better. The gun will work great with FMJ rounds but for me... it did not work well with anything else. YMMV. Good luck.

Chris

You sure yours was an actual Mil-Spec and not the GI model? Many sellers like to interchange the terms, and call GI models Mil-Spec models. Makes for a better sale.

There are two very distinct, easy-to-spot differences between the two. GI models have a standard ejection port and vertical serrations at the back of the slide; Mil-Spec models have slanted serrations and a lowered/flared ejection port.

I had a stainless GI that only liked Hornady hollowpoints and FMJ; all others FTF'd like crazy. Traded it for my P220R carry, which then got sold for other needs. Now I'm coming full circle and looking into a Loaded model from SA via their military sales program. :)

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm not sure if Topher's problem was the same as mine.

My Mil-Spec fed JHPs just fine when they were rounds 2-7 in the magazine - loading round number one from a locked-back slide didn't work, so I replaced the first round with an FMJ - no problems after that (the JHPs were Remington 185gr. UMC).

2A should be getting some Hornady rounds in "soon." I'll give them a try.

kmartin370

Feb 22, 2011
    Arnold
    It's called a grip safety and as noted, it wouldn't be a 1911 with out it. At one point, before lawyers scared the gunsmiths, some would pin the safety down, so it was always "ON". Most gunsmiths if they see a gun like that will either refuse to work on it or require the owner to permit them to make it functional.

A Spanish company, Star, made some 1911 style handguns that didn't have a grip safety. Star went under in 1997 or so. The Star models were not true 1911 style guns, but decent.

good to know. I just don't really like the feature. Is it illegal to pin the grip safety?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    good to know. I just don't really like the feature. Is it illegal to pin the grip safety?

No it isn't illegal. Pinning the grip safety has been done before, but I don't see much reason to do it. I've been shooting 1911s for years and I've never once gone to shoot one and had it not fire because I had failed to disengage the grip safety. Your hand automatically disengages the safety as soon as you grip the gun.

I definitely wouldn't recommend disabling the grip safety if you plan on carrying the gun. If somehow the thumb safety gets disengaged while the gun is in the holster, now you have a cocked and locked gun with one in the pipe and no safety standing between you and the gun firing unless you have a firing pin safety, which I don't believe the Springfield's do.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Very nice.. Do they make a model that doesn't have the back strap safety?

Not so much a 1911, but Argentina made the Ballester Molina, looks just about identical to a 1911, but internally is pretty close to a spanish star pistol.
    For me shoots just about the same as a 1911, gives me 1911 hammer bite and everything.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

I have heard that the range officers for the various shooting games, IDPA, etc, have been making sure safeties are functional and disqualifying guns if they aren't.

Illegal, no, but a potential issue for you and your lawyer in a negligent discharge case. You are intentionally disabling a safety device.

I definitely wouldn't recommend disabling the grip safety if you plan on carrying the gun. If somehow the thumb safety gets disengaged while the gun is in the holster, now you have a cocked and locked gun with one in the pipe and no safety standing between you and the gun firing unless you have a firing pin safety, which I don't believe the Springfield's do.

People do carry Browning High Power pistols and they don't have the grip safety. You can also carry a HK USP, Variant 1, in a cocked and locked mode, without a grip safety. I don't remember if the USP has a firing pin block.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I have heard that the range officers for the various shooting games, IDPA, etc, have been making sure safeties are functional and disqualifying guns if they aren't.

Illegal, no, but a potential issue for you and your lawyer in a negligent discharge case. You are intentionally disabling a safety device.

People do carry Browning High Power pistols and they don't have the grip safety. You can also carry a HK USP, Variant 1, in a cocked and locked mode, without a grip safety. I don't remember if the USP has a firing pin block.

True enough people carry the Browning cocked and locked, (and the CZ for that matter), but if the thumb safety on a Browning were to become disengaged it is a bit more forgiving considering the trigger pull is much heavier and has more creep than the typical 1911. Also the thumb safeties on most Brownings aren't the super wide ambidextrous aftermarket tactical whiz bangs like on so many 1911s that could be more prone to accidentally getting swiped off while in the holster.

I get what you are saying, and with a proper holster it really shouldn't matter either way. Personally, I like the extra measure of safety the 1911 offers with the grip safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom