• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just moved to New Market and I am looking for a good place to buy a safe in the area. Any suggestions would be helpful. It’s got to go into the basement of a townhouse so wouldn’t mind having it installed. I was looking at a safe from Costco but was worried about trying to get it into the basement. Not trying to spend an arm and a leg either.

https://m.costco.com/Bighorn-24-Cu-Ft-Gun-Safe,-70-min-Fire-Protection.product.11468049.html

Included the link of what I was looking at from Costco.

Thanks in advance!

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I don't know anything about Bighorn but that seems a little pricey for that size safe. I would keep looking, and if not in a big hurry wait for sales. Memorial Day is just around the corner.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think Thompson safe is in your area, worth a look.

There are also take down ones which can be moved easier and ship to your house. Some are lighter than a "safe" but if bolted down work well depending on your threat/risk. They are what I would do if I had it to go over and they had made them years ago as moving my safe has been a pain over the years and many moves.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hit the next chantilly gun show. guessing an hour maybe 1:15 from frederick. steve's safes is there, i and my BIL bought safes from him, good prices and service. at least one other safe company has been there also.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I bought my safes from my good friend Jeff, owner of RJ LOCK in Hagerstown.... highly recommend him. he will deliver too....

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'm migrating to snap safes for my second string stuff. Good design, decent fire rating (though I doubt any gun will survive unscathed in a serious burn) and you can disassemble and move it as needed.

https://www.snapsafe.com/

You are in a townhouse, if you plan to upgrade homes in 5 years or so this could be a good option. Plus I like their Titan XL with its broad back which is great for milsurps.

I'm sort of the same, thinking it may be time for a new home or relocation in 5 or less (about 8 years in and finally have recovered from the drop and built up enough equity to make it worthwhile).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm migrating to snap safes for my second string stuff. Good design, decent fire rating (though I doubt any gun will survive unscathed in a serious burn) and you can disassemble and move it as needed.

https://www.snapsafe.com/

You are in a townhouse, if you plan to upgrade homes in 5 years or so this could be a good option. Plus I like their Titan XL with its broad back which is great for milsurps.

I'm sort of the same, thinking it may be time for a new home or relocation in 5 or less (about 8 years in and finally have recovered from the drop and built up enough equity to make it worthwhile).

I've been contemplating a Snapsafe as well.

k2dac9.jpg

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I’ll throw a recommendation out there for safecracker here on MDS. He usually has the heavy duty stuff you won’t find at a box store.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I bought a safe made by Superior Safe from Jake at Safes and Signs based out of York PA. He gave me a great price (better than any of the local dealers), his delivery fee was less than anyone locally, plus he did not charge me any sales tax. It was a no brainer to buy from him. He brought 4 guys to help him move the safe into my basement. They probably spent 45 min strategizing (spelling?) how to get it into the basement and less than half that time actually doing it. I appreciated all the upfront thinking they did because once they started the move, it went very smoothly. I got the name of this company from another MDS member who bought two safes from them. Highly recommended.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom