• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPQM

May 21, 2014
    https://www.thegunwriter.com/23473/open-letter-nra-board-directors-past-president-marion-hammer/

DATE: October 9, 2017
    RE: Misinformation and Distortion Anger Me
    In 1934 the first federal gun control law in America was passed. The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) became the law of the land. The NRA was asleep at the switch. Most of us hadn't even been born then. It is not of our making but like all good, honest, law-abiding Americans, the NRA obeys the law. The NFA regulates fully-automatic firearms and has done so for 83 years.
    The "bump-stock" device, used by the killer in the Las Vegas shooting, converts a semi-auto rifle to a full-auto rifle. Anyone who has ever used a bump-stock or watched a video demonstrating its use, can only conclude that it is a converter.
    If you listened to an audio recording of the shooting during that horrific massacre, you must have concluded that it was full-auto fire. You were not alone, many firearms experts and law enforcement professionals came to the same conclusion. It was not until later that information was released disclosing that bump-stocks had been used to convert semi-automatic firearms to perform like full-auto firearms.
    In spite of the seemingly noble reason the manufacturer claims for developing it, the bump-stock circumvents federal law. Regardless of the quality and reliability or lack thereof of this device – it converts a semi-auto to full-auto when installed.
    Do you have any idea how many people were shocked out of their minds when ATF decided bump-stocks were not subject to regulation and APPROVED them for sale and use? That was under the Obama administration for crying out loud. Your mind is forced to run wild wondering why.
    Once the ruling was made, what would you expect NRA to do? Do you think NRA should have said, Oh! No, ATF is wrong, ATF made a mistake?
    It doesn't matter what laws the NRA doesn't agree with or doesn't like, the NRA must abide by the law. For decades, over and over again when the enemies of the Second Amendment have tried to capitalize on tragedies by calling for more gun control, NRA has called for enforcing existing law. That is exactly what we are doing now.
    Make no mistake, the NRA has NOT cleared the way for more regulation. If it were not for ATF's wink and nod to the manufacturer of the bump-stock, it would already be regulated under federal law. NRA has tossed it back into ATF's lap where it belongs. NRA has not agreed to any new legislation nor has NRA said we agree with any existing NFA legislation. NRA has not agreed to a ban. NRA has not agreed to anything. NRA simply insists upon enforcing existing law.
    The enemies freedom and the Second Amendment are spewing hysteria from the podiums they have planted in the blood of innocent victims. These anti-Second Amendment heretics are using these victims as their stalking horse to get some new gun control legislation on the floor of the Congress.
    These victims have fallen and are suffering because of the evil acts of a deranged madman who could have carried out his destruction even if bump-stocks were not available under ATF's approval. He would have found another way.
    Don't blame bump-stocks, don't blame ATF, don't blame anybody but the evil people who perpetrated this crime. No law, no regulation stops those with evil in their hearts.
    The frantic cries from antagonists who want to take your freedom are intended to stampede you and Congress into supporting more gun control.
    But it doesn't stop there. Is it not clear to you that, just like the media, some members of the NRA Board are misinterpreting what the NRA has said?
    Additionally, there are "Trojan horse members" who are deliberately misinterpreting what the NRA has said. Just like having an (R) after your name doesn't make you a conservative Republican, having an NRA membership card doesn't make you an honest member.
    Be very careful of anti-NRA people claiming to have many supporters who are merely standing in a hall of mirrors and seeing their own reflections. Don't be fooled.
    This fight is not about the personal financial interests of NRA Board members. This fight should not be used by any individual Board member to attack NRA as a means elevate their own popularity with dissidents and "Trojan horse members."
    This particular fight is about following existing law. If you don't believe that bump-stocks convert semi-autos to full-autos then you have not seen what I have seen. While the conversion may be reversible by removing and replacing the device, it none less makes a semi-auto perform like a full-auto when installed.
    We do not need new legislation, we do not need new regulation, we simply need ATF to review its previous approval and enforce existing law. That's what NRA said. That will render bump-stocks irrelevant. There is no need for Congress to be stampeded into doing anything else. No matter how you twist it, or what your own personal agenda may be, the NRA has not compromised.
    If ATF won't do it on its own, President Trump should order ATF to review its ruling made under the Obama administration.
    We should stand united. We need to enforce existing law. We don't need any new gun control legislation. Any member of Congress who wants to sacrifice more of our freedom under the pretense of providing safety should know that we don't forgive the betrayal of freedom or the Second Amendment and we won't give a wink and a nod to political eye wash as a substitute for backbone.
    The only legislation we need to see on the floor of Congress right now is carry reciprocity and elimination of suppressor regulations.
    Marion Hammer
    NRA Past President

In 1934 the first federal gun control law in America was passed. The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) became the law of the land. The NRA was asleep at the switch. Most of us hadn't even been born then. It is not of our making but like all good, honest, law-abiding Americans, the NRA obeys the law. The NFA regulates fully-automatic firearms and has done so for 83 years.

LINK

GENERAL RECKORD. We believe that the machine gun, submachine gun, sawed-off shotgun, and dangerous and deadly weapons could all be included in any kind of a bill, and no matter how drastic, we will support it.

We feel that if H.R. 9066 is amended so as to be applicable in all of its provisions to machine guns only and is further amended as suggested by our association to bring within the Federal jurisdiction the interstate transportation of firearms of any type by previously convicted felons and to prohibit the interstate transportation and pawning of stolen firearms of any type, no further Federal legislation concerning firearms will be necessary.

We can pledge the whole-hearted support and cooperation of the sportsmen in this country with the agents of the Government in the apprehension and conviction of criminals under the laws above mentioned and under H.R. 9066 if amended as we request. We do not believe that the general inconvenience, the resentment in many cases, against unnecessary Federal supervision which would be caused by the registration requirement of H.R. 9066 will add anything worth while to the Federal police jurisdiction insofar as the actual suppression of crime is concerned.

The Attorney General in a syndicated newspaper article under date as late as April 29 indicated that H.R. 9066 was intended to cover machine guns. The Attorney General was quoted as saying that the intention of the Department of Justice and the needs of the Department were "expressed by a series of bills now before Congress, with the endorsement of this Department. The first in order may not be so important in the long run as some of the others, but we need it in order to meet an immediate emergency. It is the one having to do with machine guns." The Attorney General described the provisions of this bill to considerable length, mentioning the tax provisions and the licensing provisions for manufacturers, dealers and consumers. He then briefly described the provisions of the other bills which have already been placed before the Senate and the House. But at no point did General Cummings refer to the ordinary pistol and revolvers. It would appear from this nationally broadcast statement that the Attorney General himself did not consider the pistol and revolver provisions of this act as being of any great importance.

It may be of interest to the members of the committee to know that only a week ago, at the request of Mr. Hoover's bureau in the Department of Justice, our association furnished that Bureau with a list of men, all sportsmen and members of the National Rifle Association and all trained rifle and pistol shots, offering them as volunteers to work with Mr. Hoover's special agents, instructing them in the proper use of the pistols and revolvers issued them by the Department. The local police could not in most cases train the agents of the Department who are charged with the duty of shooting it out with John Dillinger and others of his kind, because the police in most cases do not themselves know very much about marksmanship. In this emergency, as in 1918, the Government of the United States has turned to the civilian shooters organized under the National Rifle Association to furnish instructors and teach marksmanship in the case of a National emergency. I mention this as an indication of the value of arming and training our average reputable citizens instead of discouraging and restricting their armament and proper training. I also mention it as additional proof, if the committee needs any additional proof of the earnest desire of our association to cooperate in every practicable way in the suppression of armed criminal activities in this country.

The amendments which we now propose to H.R. 9066 are accordingly to eliminate pistols and revolvers entirely from the bill, confining it to machine guns, sawed-off shot guns and mufflers or silencers and not otherwise changing the bill except to strike out section 10, the interstate transportation section, substituting therefor the following language:

SEC. 10 (a). Whoever shall transport or cause to be transported in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm theretofore stolen or taken feloniously by fraud or with intent to steal or purloin, knowing the same to have been so stolen or taken or whoever not being a common carrier, shall so send or transport, or attempt to send or transport, or cause to be sent or transported any such firearm, under such circumstances as should put him upon inquiry whether the same had been so stolen or taken, without making reasonable inquiry in good faith to ascertain the fact, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by imprisonment of not more than 10 years or both.

You know who said that in the NFA hearings in 1934?

STATEMENT OF ADJT. GEN. MILTON A. RECKORD, ADJUTANT GENERAL OF THE STATE OF MARYLAND, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, WASHINGTON, D.C.

GENERAL RECKORD. Mr. Chairman and gentlemen: My name is Gen. Milton A. Reckord. I am the adjutant general of Maryland and the executive officer of the National Rifle Association of America.

MR. DICKINSON. Will you please give us your address?

GENERAL RECKORD. I have an address at the capitol in Annapolis, as the adjutant general of Maryland, and in the Barr Building, Washington, D.C, as the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association of America.

We have asked to be heard on H.R. 9066 because of the fact that for many years our association has been interested in legislation of this type.

THE CHAIRMAN. What is your position with the National Rifle Association?

GENERAL RECKORD. I am the executive officer, the executive vice president, the active head of the National Rifle Association.

MR. TREADWAY. May I ask, Mr. Adjutant General, whether you are appearing as an official of that association or as adjutant general of your State? You seem to hold two positions. How are you appearing here, in what capacity?

GENERAL RECKORD. I am appearing in both capacities.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just like the Republican "establishment" that stands in the way of moving conservative principals forward, the NRA too has an "establishment" element more concerned with limiting the volume of criticism they receive than advancing the cause of liberty. I never cared for Hammer much when she was president, and care for her even less now. I'm getting VERY close to letting my membership go and devoting all of my support to GOA.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Why is this full retard? How is she wrong? One person testifying in front of congress could very well mean that the NRA was asleep. Maybe they thought it would never pass and didn't go into full tilt lobbying mode? Maybe it was too little too late, especially if this statement is all they did?

The very last thing we need is for Congress to ban bump stocks. Let the BATFE make them restricted.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Why is this full retard? How is she wrong? One person testifying in front of congress could very well mean that the NRA was asleep. Maybe they thought it would never pass and didn't go into full tilt lobbying mode? Maybe it was too little too late, especially if this statement is all they did?

You know who else testified at the hearings for the National Firearms Act?

GENERAL RECKORD. Mr. Doughton, if I may, I would like to present Mr. Karl Frederick, who is the President of the National Rifle Association of America. He is the vice president of the United States Revolver Association. He is a member of the Campfire Club. He is also a member of the New York Fish, Game, and Forest League and is vice president of the New York Conservation Council, Inc.; a former member of the Commission on Fire Arms Legislation of the National Crime Commission.

You basically have the NRA's top guys testifying at the NFA hearings.

And guess who went organ grinding against the NRA?

LINK

In a recent meeting at Hot Springs. Arkansas, the General Federation of Women's Clubs heard the Assistant Attorney-General of the United States. Joseph B. Keenan, say that the National Rifle Association had proved more powerful than the Department of Justice. It seems that the association had pistols and revolvers deleted from a Federal bill to regulate the sale of firearms, before the Ways and Means Committee of the House. Mr. Keenan said that the measure, as written originally, would have done much to check crime. He wanted to know who was running the Government.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    I'm getting VERY close to letting my membership go and devoting all of my support to GOA.

DON'T.

Are you a member with five years' standing or more; or a life member (or above?)

Stay in the NRA; because you have voting powers to vote out the current Board of Directors.

Second, cancel your subscription to whatever NRA magazines you receive.

The NRA in 2013 received $24.4 million from "advertising" and $3.6 million in "subscriptions".

Cancelling your NRA magazines will send a very powerful message; particularly since NRA gets ad money based on subscriptions == more eyeballs on the magazine == more money for NRA.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County

The very last thing we need is for Congress to ban bump stocks. Let the BATFE make them restricted.

Yeah, I actually agree with that. I've shot full auto and it's a lot of fun. I don't see the difference between using bump stocks and popping in a full auto sear.

I don't want to give up anything, but I want to be pragmatic.

The NRA needs to defend the defendable. I don't know that bump stocks are defendable. The fact that bump stocks were approved in the first place is surprising given the current climate.

Showing how easy it is to skirt the NFA (whether you agree with it or not) isn't going to help those of us with semi-auto. Other posts showing how to do it will not help us in the long run. Someone will ruin it eventually.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Yeah, I actually agree with that. I've shot full auto and it's a lot of fun. I don't see the difference between using bump stocks and popping in a full auto sear.

I don't want to give up anything, but I want to be pragmatic.

The NRA needs to defend the defendable. I don't know that bump stocks are defendable. The fact that bump stocks were approved in the first place is surprising given the current climate.

Showing how easy it is to skirt the NFA (whether you agree with it or not) isn't going to help those of us with semi-auto. Other posts showing how to do it will not help us in the long run. Someone will ruin it eventually.

So are you a Fudd, Infringer or closet anti liberal ?

(:D J/K , wanted to beat the rush)

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So are you a Fudd, Infringer or closet anti liberal ?

(:D J/K , wanted to beat the rush)

Figured I'd take a beating for that. :-)

I waited over a week to allow me to form a rational opinion on the whole thing. Didn't want to speak on it until now.

I'm no Fudd. Hell, I love shooting full auto.

I don't think defending the bump stocks helps our overall position. Call me what you want, I think the NRA took the correct position on this turd of a situation.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    A ban from congress will be very broad and overreaching, and will ban all kinds of gun parts and accessories. We can't let congress legislate this. Let the BATFE make a decision while Congress works on National Reciprocity.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I must be missing something. Is the OP challenging the NRA's role in the NFA or the point Marion Hammer is trying make? I see no "full retard."

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    I must be missing something. Is the OP challenging the NRA's role in the NFA or the point Marion Hammer is trying make? I see no "full retard."

Hammer said:

The bolded, underlined part is demonstratably false. The NRA was a major driving force in the NFA that we got.

Originally, pistols and anything with more than 12 rounds would have been classified as NFA weapons as "machine guns", but the NRA brokered a deal -- they would agree to machine guns being regulated under NFA, if pistols and anything over 12 rounds was dropped from NFA.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hammer said:

The bolded, underlined part is demonstratably false. The NRA was a major driving force in the NFA that we got.

Originally, pistols and anything with more than 12 rounds would have been classified as NFA weapons as "machine guns", but the NRA brokered a deal -- they would agree to machine guns being regulated under NFA, if pistols and anything over 12 rounds was dropped from NFA.

Sure. That was a different NRA. They changed tactics and objectives much later.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    A ban from congress will be very broad and overreaching, and will ban all kinds of gun parts and accessories. We can't let congress legislate this.

Except that the NRA has pretty much shot itself in the foot.

Now every anti-gunner can argue, using the NRA's own words, that certain weapons or accessories are too dangerous to be unregulated.

That bolded part is catastrophic.

Various anti-groups are arguing in Kolbe v Hogan that semi automatics are just as dangerous as automatics. NRA has just given them a gift from heaven to cite in legal briefs.

And the NRA leadership current/former just can't stop putting it's foot in it's mouth...

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Sure. That was a different NRA. They changed tactics and objectives much later.

Only after the 1977 "revolt"; and even then, the NRA advised Reagan that it was OK to sign FOPA, because they could get the Hughes Amendment thrown out in court.

Only, FOPA turns out to not have been worth the paper it was written on.

It's been a long, persistent problem with the NRA and their views on anything "unusual" -- I have the American Rifleman issue where they announced that they were banning advertising containing NFA items and Destructive Devices from their pages following Kennedy's death.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Only after the 1977 "revolt"; and even then, the NRA advised Reagan that it was OK to sign FOPA, because they could get the Hughes Amendment thrown out in court.

Only, FOPA turns out to not have been worth the paper it was written on.

It's been a long, persistent problem with the NRA and their views on anything "unusual" -- I have the American Rifleman issue where they announced that they were banning advertising containing NFA items and Destructive Devices from their pages following Kennedy's death.

Thanks. Please share.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    January 1964 American Rifleman; found for cheap in a antique shop in West Virginia last year.

I misspoke about DDs -- l have to see if they still allowed 20mm Solothurns for sale. But I'm pressed for time tonight.

Attachments

• January1964_Rifleman_Ad_Limits.jpg
      January1964_Rifleman_Ad_Limits.jpg
      79.9 KB · Views: 345

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads