• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I am considering sending a letter to our new superintendent of the Maryland State police requesting that my restrictions on my carry permit read "for all lawful purposes"

What are the thoughts of the rest of you who have been fortunate enough to have been granted carry permits. Are you going to request a modification of your restrictions?

To be clear, I will wait until he is confirmed.

I also will be writing a respectful REQUEST to the new Super. No demands, etc. I am not married to the “all lawful purposes” just wording that basically encompasses that sentiment.

I think it will be interesting to see the response and justification for denying my request, if that is indeed the outcome.

My request is not unreasonable, the restrictions are! I have been background checked, close friends interviewed, turned over my medical histories, financials, anything and everything they wanted.

The restrictions basically say that I am to be trusted here and in this circumstance but outside that my character and rational are suspect and therefor I am no longer allowed to carry.

I have been to Annapolis, spoke at the hearings ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjDcmZyFLY ), gathered with my fellow 2A brothers and sisters to support our rights.

I think that the time is NOW. Once confirmed the new Super either knows or he doesn’t which way he is going to come down. A refusal letter will require him to articulate his position and then the rest of you will know where you stand, no more guessing.

I am hoping that he will agree to my REASONABLE request and then a new day for the 2A community will be upon us.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I am considering sending a letter to our new superintendent of the Maryland State police requesting that my restrictions on my carry permit read "for all lawful purposes"

What are the thoughts of the rest of you who have been fortunate enough to have been granted carry permits. Are you going to request a modification of your restrictions?

Isn't that the problem now? The state decides what "lawful purposes" are, and for we that don't rate to get them, that is what they hang their hat on. That phrase btw is boiler plate in establishing a business under a LLC.

Mr H

Banana'd

Pallozzi made comments yesterday that he is focusing on Hogan's budget and other priorities at this point. Bombarding him with permit issues could be a real turnoff.

Personally, I think holding off a bit would be helpful... but that's just me.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Pushing the new superintendent or the Governor, especially this quickly out of the gate, will not help the cause. Best way is to publicly show overwhelming support for the bills which seek to make Maryland a shall-issue state

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Pushing the new superintendent or the Governor, especially this quickly out of the gate, will not help the cause. Best way is to publicly show overwhelming support for the bills which seek to make Maryland a true shall-issue state

Fify:innocent0

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    give it a few weeks. the new super is going to most likely rearrange command staff and place his people in command positions, like command of the licensing division. he still needs to be confirmed.

in the meantime, public support for bills like the repeal of the ballistics fingerprinting, and sb100 and hb767, would go a long way to convincing both the legislature and the governor's office that something needs to change.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    as Jaybeez says support the bills if they fail then I think 4/14 would be the best day to apply :) .

As training exempt I will gladly be a test case (still will do the training with the wife though)

we need a new group of "365'ers"

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

This session, I say we act like good little boy and good girl serfs.

Wait and see how events unfold. Let those installed get a feel for the reins before dictating terms.

Next session however.....

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    if you want to write letters, there are two whole committees that need letters in support of sb100 and hb767.

if you want to make requests, show up for gun bills days amd request passage of self defense as a good & sunstantial.

that will have more impact than a letter to an unconfirmed appointee.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Will be writing as soon as he is confirmed. He needs to understand the magnitude of the feelings on this issue. Will not be waiting.

Would like to hope that someone that spent 26 years in the MSP would already understand the magnitude of feelings on this issue....but he serves at the pleasure of the Governor....if an issue is a political hot potato for the Governor it's a hot potato for his appointees........

Mr H

Banana'd
    This session, I say we act like good little boy and good girl serfs.

Wait and see how events unfold. Let those installed get a feel for the reins before dictating terms.

Next session however.....

Going to disagree a bit.

What we need to do this session is pressure the GA as we normally do, but hold back on the Administration until after sine die.

If legislation doesn't get through, that is far from the end of the world. There is still 9 months to push for changes through COMAR, and failing that an EO... THEN revisit all fronts next session with all 4 feet.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Going to disagree a bit.

What we need to do this session is pressure the GA as we normally do, but hold back on the Administration until after sine die.

If legislation doesn't get through, that is far from the end of the world. There is still 9 months to push for changes through COMAR, and failing that an EO... THEN revisit all fronts next session with all 4 feet.

Completely agree.

Was just saying writing venom laden letters to unconfirmed or even newly appointed people could come across as rude as unproductive.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    As predicted...

Better wait. It's not worth working on all fronts now. Better to hold back and wait until next session. Blah, blah, blah.

Sounds like a strategy crafted by Obummer and Jen Psaki. Sure to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Half the folks on this forum will be telling you to wait until after the legislative session before pushing on Hogan or the MSP. Apparently we can't walk AND chew gum.

A week before your first day on the job you are given the firm's biggest problem in years to solve. How would you feel about your new employer? Would you even show up next Monday?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    A week before your first day on the job you are given the firm's biggest problem in years to solve. How would you feel about your new employer? Would you even show up next Monday?

I'm not certain that I understand the analogy, but my actual job IS solving major problems, turnarounds and dealing with uncertainty, so maybe it's lost on me. But yes, if I was hired to solve problems and clean up after a sloppy predecessor, I'd show up on Monday.

I don't see any harm in pursuing all available paths with respect to regaining our rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I would wait for two reasons:

1. wait until he is confirmed.

2. until he gets his feet under him and his priorities set.

I'm not saying don't do it, and I'm not saying wait forever, but doing it now, will only result in a denial letter from licensing (where he will send the request to, if his office does not return it and advise you to send it to licensing.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom