• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm moving to Virginia and have a ccw already. Being a Marylander I have never carried and don't know where to start. The only gun I own that I believe is suitable for carry is my 3" S&W model 36. I have a clipdraw for it but that puts the cylinder right behind my belt and makes it uncomfortable to carry.

eWeCJNn.jpg

For those that have carried 3" J-frames how do you do it and what do you use?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How do you like to carry your pistols generally ? Pants pocket will be problematical with the 3in , but all your other options are open. Ok , some ankle holsters the bbl will dig into your ankle , but that varies with specific holster and specific leg shape.

How I most frequently carried a 3in J Frame is not currently in vogue , and will cause an outbreak of dirision and laughter, so I won't openly explain. But then it was always a 2nd or 3rd gun.

But for a default recomendation , the time honored strong side hip ( usually just behind hip). Some people can do IWB , some people find them torture devices (me). But a good pancake works for just about everyone.

As a purist , I favor the ride and angle of Roy Baker's origionals. But every maker makes a version , and the subtle differences are less noticable with J Frames than with most larger pistols. If you have the opportunity try on a cpl , but in general don't get too high of a ride, they will tend to over balance , and actually stick out farther from the body at the grips.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    I have a 3" Sp101 and have a Fobus paddle holster for it. This time of year, heavier clothing will provide the concealment...jacket..sweater....vest...etc

Mr H

Banana'd
    If you're looking to CC, then it's IMO about your build.

If IWB digs into you (even @ 5:00 carry), then maybe look into a shoulder rig.

Otherwise, the paddle is always a good choice, then you have the option of a cover garment.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    How do you like to carry your pistols generally ? Pants pocket will be problematical with the 3in , but all your other options are open.

I've never really carried before. IWB feels like it makes the most sense but I'm really open to anything at this point. In the oversized pockets of Lee brand Jeans I can actually fit the entire gun. In regular fit levis the whole grip sticks out. Either way it leaves me with an odd bulge in my pocket even if its not gun shaped.

If you're looking to CC, then it's IMO about your build.

I'm 5'11" 160 pounds. I'm a younger guy and dress like one. Untucked shirt and jeans or kakis pretty much 100 percent of the time. Although I agree that I can get away with a lot this time of year I don't like the idea of changing carry methods or carry guns with the weather.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm 5'10 and about the same weight.

YMMV, but IWB just doesn't work for me. It does while standing, but sitting or driving - forget it.

OWB, don't rule it out. I carry a full-frame M&P strong-side OWB. Good belt/holster and shirt or jacket, you'd never know by looking at me that I was carrying.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Whatever you do, do not carry in a pocket without a holster. If you do carry in a pocket the only thing that goes in that pocket is the gun, no keys, cell phone, pens, etc... For a gun that size you would need really large pockets, maybe the bottom pocket of cargo pants but then that thing would bang your leg constantly when you walked.

OWB for me is the most comfortable, I only IWB when I need to stay concealed.

Since you are in VA, OC is fine so don't worry about printing or having the wind blow your cover garment and exposing the gun.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    When I carry my J Frame, I use a DeSantis E-Gat Slide holster. The way the belt loops are configured on the holster keeps the gun grip tight against your body and gives good support. It also works well with both 2 1/4" and 3 " barrels.

J Frame.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I say ditch that clip and get an owb belt holster.
    If I knew I would be standing mostly like out shopping, I'd crossdraw that bad boy, front left appendix. Assuming you're right handed. The clip would work well with that I think.
    Revolvers are tough to iwb. Other alternative is a belly band. Not using it in your waistband, but actually higher up with the gun at your belly or lil higher. But they eventually slide and move around and you'll keep tugging at it.

But again, I would owb holster it under a thin fleece type vest since the weather is cooler.

Good luck. You'll figure it out. :thumbup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I say ditch that clip and get an owb belt holster.
    If I knew I would be standing mostly like out shopping, I'd crossdraw that bad boy, front left appendix. Assuming you're right handed. The clip would work well with that I think.
    Revolvers are tough to iwb. Other alternative is a belly band. Not using it in your waistband, but actually higher up with the gun at your belly or lil higher. But they eventually slide and move around and you'll keep tugging at it.

But again, I would owb holster it under a thin fleece type vest since the weather is cooler.

Good luck. You'll figure it out. :thumbup:

Yes, this.

I recommend folks that are new to carrying, carry an unloaded gun around your house for a few days first to practice. Wear it the way you plan to carry in public (legally), sit down, climb stairs, go to bathroom, etc., practice first. You don't want it to be too uncomfortable, overly print, or fall on the floor when you go to sit on the toilet. I discuss all this and some techniques during training I give.

Some folks have carried dummy guns in public for a while too, before carrying a live firearm in public.

I recommend a good leather or kydex outside the waistband holster on your strong side hip; this is how the vast majority carry - it works best for most people. Especially for revolvers.

Good luck, stay safe!

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    What other handguns do you have? I had issues with carrying my SP101, which had the 3" barrel, which is why I don't own one anymore.

A Beretta 21 which I can pocket carry easy enough, A Ruger mkII and a Beretta 92 which I would never imagine carrying.

OWB feels like it couldn't possibly conceal well enough, especially in the summer time when I cant wear a jacket. Even if open carry is legal I don't want to draw unwanted attention to myself

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I've been wearing an Aliengear iwb for about a week with a Model 60 2 1/4".No complaints so far,I really wanted to try a Cross breed but was afraid to drop the coin on something I wouldn't like.I'm 5'8" 160.HTH

How is the cylinder situated to the belt line? does it sit above or below it?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just an FYI, I used to carry a full sized CZ-75b IWB with a rugby shirt over it. Same with a full sized single-stack and a double-stack 1911. It doesn't quite work with a t-shirt, but then I switched to a small, single-stack 9mm for that. The revolver cylinder is what makes it tough to carry IWB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom