• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    And your real life experience with these is? Tell us these are your words and not a copy n paste.

Real world experience on how the mechanisms work? Owned a couple, worked on more, discussed in armorer's courses for other makes:shrug: They are my words, if I quote I'll use the grey box

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I'd like to know what DA action does not? Those that don't would make them single action, right?
    Double action refers to pressing the trigger makes the hammer go back, right?
    If a slide doesn't go back locking the hammer back, the hammer would still be forward, right?

So, there are double actions that disconnect the trigger from the hammer if it's a non strike and that doesn't allow the slide to charge the hammer?? So, no slide, no trigger?

Interesting. Please tell us what those pistols are. In order to avoid a costly mistake.
    My S&W Bodyguard .380 has second strike capability without slide. Have done it with certain ammo before.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Second strike means another trigger press actuating the trigger to strike again against the firing pin to hit the primer to get that bitch to explode to fire the round.
    Do you really need to know how it works?

He said how often does it work not how does it work.

And that is a good point, some of the rounds I have had that didn't go off after the first strike also didn't go off the second time they were chambered either.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Glock 30S all the way if I could only have one handgun.

ayup. Good times.

If you want all the benefits of the glock's striker-fired system and still want second strike capability in a compact package...enter the p99as compact...
    http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/p99/

You get a gun with a cold hammer forged barrel that has one of the most ergonomic grips in the industry, with everything tennifer treated, with the PPQ trigger in single action, but the ability to decock it or second-striker with a DA option, ambidextrous mag releases, fully adjustable sights(front replaces with tall or short for elevation and rear ajusts against a detent for windage), good capacity with the ability to accept full-sized mags, in a gun that comes with a proof target at 25M(mine in the full-sized p99as was a 1.5" 25M proof target). The gun is absolutely flawlessly reliable. The only gripe I have is the slide is a bit tall, but no moreso than an xd. Fantastic gun.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well crap. Let me go sell all my shit and replace the garbage with Glocks.

Who said the sigs were crap? I think most people here are just giving their preference one way or the other and then listing some reasons why, but they're both solid guns. The advice for the OP to try to shoot them both and see what strikes his fancy seems to be the predominant theme. Jer and I both favor the glocks for reasons we provided...of course he has had a few sigs and I know he's quite fond of his 220 too. I Like sigs as well, but have always personally shot better with m&p's...I still have a hard time getting over the stock glock triggers but can shoot them well too...especially my brother's glocks with the trigger work he's put in.

Your opinions and experience are of course valued and likely weighted more than those giving opinions without as large of a history to draw from. No need to get all dramatic about stuff.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Saw the Sig 229, bought the Sig 229, went to the range, can't hit sh*t with it, rented a G23, liked that a lot. Think first, try, then buy.

You have a couple of nice choices there and it is great hearing the opinions and getting other advice. My advice is shoot them both and your decision will be easy. The Sig is heavier and harder to conceal if that is important to you. I love the metal, the feel and the look of the Sig. So, I keep practicing and I am getting better with it. Grip angle is different than the Glock. What I need is the taller rear sight and I think I will be fine.

pittsaero

Mar 29, 2013
    I own both & they are for different purposes. As a carry gun I prefer the Glock 30. As a fun shooter I take to the range & teach people to shoot with it's the 229 all the way. So it depends what you are planning to do with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All of the S&W metal framed ( Three digit and four digit Mdl numbers) DAO don't have restrike capability. It is possable for an Armorer to use factory parts to create a full hammer travel (and full trigger movement) DAO with restrike capability, but no such pistol ever left the factory in that configuration.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The G29/ G30 are labeled "Subcompact" in Glock's literature, by in real life they are *Compact* pistols, and comparing them to a P229 is not unreasonable.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I'd like to know what DA action does not? Those that don't would make them single action, right?
    Double action refers to pressing the trigger makes the hammer go back, right?
    If a slide doesn't go back locking the hammer back, the hammer would still be forward, right?

So, there are double actions that disconnect the trigger from the hammer if it's a non strike and that doesn't allow the slide to charge the hammer?? So, no slide, no trigger?

Interesting. Please tell us what those pistols are. In order to avoid a costly mistake.

For real, or the way ATF classified them?

When ATF did the evaluation of the Glock for import they rated the semi-cocked striker action as double action, because pulling the trigger moves the striker a bit towards the rear before it is released forward.

If it wasn't for their interpretation of double action, the G17 would not have had enough points to be imported.

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/guides/importation-verification/policy-procedure-atf-f-4590.html

G17 scores:
    Length (7.28") 5
    Weight (24.79oz) 25
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Total 80

And I am not saying that a glock is a true double action, just that ATF scored it as one.

For the OP:

The 229DAK is a very good gun. I really like the fact that you have the exact same trigger pull every time, unlike the DA/SA version. I also like that the trigger pull is much lighter than SIGs DAO version.

If it is in decent shape and at a fair price, scoop it up before it is gone. You can always find a glock.

I must be losing my mind, because I forgot to add this earlier...

If you do get the 229DAK, please make sure you remove the slide and give a close look at the recoil spring to make sure it hasn't kinked, or the individual wires that make up the coil have separated.

I am not sure if this also happened with the 9mm, but with almost all of the three dozen or so .40 229DAKs that we purchased when they first came out, the springs started to kink because one of the wires that made up the coil separated from the others within about the first 18 months of use.

Sig replaced all of our original recoil springs, and I don't recall there being any problems with the replacement springs afterwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom