• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Sadly, these days the law provides for them to arrest you if they conclude you are carrying outside your restrictions. You are just Joe Blow with a gun at that point. No longer are restrictions a function of administrative code.....

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I go to www.handgunlaw.us and print out the state page for every state I'm gonna be in when traveling.

If I read the NC page correctly, you must inform the officer upon approach or if addressed if you have a permit. You don't even need to be carrying.

strange but that's what I read it as.

I read this stuff when I went to the OBX last July.

No, you only have to cop to it, if you are carrying one.

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
    Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds good. I'd personally choose to not disclose it in places where it's not a requirement, but your stop sounds like it went exactly as they normally go when you're polite.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    I am from md. My bio is a little fake. Keeping NSA working hard.

I gave the officer my carry permit as a courtesy.
    Thanks for replying. Also curious if the Officer made any kind of inquiry as to if you were engaged in company business ( assuming that would be the likely restriction) or anything to that effect. Knowing what happens ( or may happen ) in these situations can be very valuable information to the rest of us here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sadly, these days the law provides for them to arrest you if they conclude you are carrying outside your restrictions. You are just Joe Blow with a gun at that point. No longer are restrictions a function of administrative code.....

Scary, isn't it? They love making new criminals, even if it means f%cking the most law abiding of our citizens. :sad20:
    Thanks for replying. Also curious if the Officer made any kind of inquiry as to if you were engaged in company business ( assuming that would be the likely restriction) or anything to that effect. Knowing what happens ( or may happen ) in these situations can be very valuable information to the rest of us here.

I have had interactions with LEO a few times while carrying. Never been asked if I was engaged in business.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD

No, he did not ask me if I was engaged in company business. Being a business owner I am always engaged in company business when I am carrying my gun, other wise I would not carry it because I would be outside my restrictions.

I think we should all remember something here for a moment. An officer cannot arrest you unless he has probable cause to do so.

If he ever asks me am I engaged in company business and I say yes, then what is his probable cause to say I'm not. A cop can't pull you over and ask you have you been speeding today? You answer no and he say's "I don't believe you, you are under arrest." What's the charge? I know in my gut he was speeding at some point today?

Also remember, we carry concealed. The only way an officer would know I was carrying is if he came up and grabbed my ass and felt my gun.

Other than that, the only times that it would come up that I was carrying a gun would be at a traffic stop. And in that situation it's up to my discretion whether or not I wish to disclose that I'm carrying.

Last edited:

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    The only way an officer would know I was carrying is if he came up and grabbed my ass and felt my gun.

Good post. Wholly on-point. I only quoted this because it made me laugh.

Something to keep in mind guys, if you're carrying pettycash, a checkbook, or anything else of your business, you're probably inside of your restrictions.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

How would this be valuable info to other permit holders here? So they can have a story ready and be well prepared if asked during a stop that would be outside of their carry restrictions?

That what you mean? IF not, explain please. Thanks.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    How would this be valuable info to other permit holders here? So they can have a story ready and be well prepared if asked during a stop that would be outside of their carry restrictions?

That what you mean? IF not, explain please. Thanks.

Seriously with this? MSP has always been vague with restrictions. Other experiences with situations like these help others with permits have some semblance of an understanding as to how LEOs are interpreting them.

Get a grip.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Seriously with this? MSP has always been vague with restrictions. Other experiences with situations like these help others with permits have some semblance of an understanding as to how LEOs are interpreting them.

Get a grip.

I don't need a grip. Some dude asked how permit stops go down. I simply asked why? Does it fcking matter if you are legit?
    Do you even have a permit?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I don't need a grip. Some dude asked how permit stops go down. I simply asked why? Does it fcking matter if you are legit?
    Do you even have a permit?

That's just it. If you have $50 of work cash are you engaged in business? If you work at a gun store and aren't working but may have to respond to an alarm, are you working at all times? Are business owners always working? What defines 'legit'?

Yeah, I have two. Do you want pictures too?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's just it. If you have $50 of work cash are you engaged in business? If you work at a gun store and aren't working but may have to respond to an alarm, are you working at all times? Are business owners always working? What defines 'legit'?

Nobody should need to know how a "stop went". So you think that every stop is the same from every leo throughout Maryland? Again, tell me how that would help you?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

2? Funny. There's a whole thread about how there is only one Maryland permit for everything. You have two. Oh, you must mean a Utah or Florida which means zilch here in Maryland.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Nobody should need to know how a "stop went". So you think that every stop is the same from every leo throughout Maryland? Again, tell me how that would help you?

'Need' to know? Who are you to say what I NEED to know? What difference is it to you if someone asks how a stop went? Does that bother you? Are you a LEO?

Did anyone ask how all stops by all LEOs involving permit holders went? Not that I am aware of. If you can't follow my points about how restrictions can be interpreted by various LEOs, I can't help you. It seems pretty clear that the more information out there about how restrictions are perceived helps people. Then again, I apparently don't NEED to know that according to you.

Mr H

Banana'd

Here's how I see that sort of information working against us...

Folks start sharing details of their interactions among each other.
    Commonalities are noted (both good and bad).
    Eventually (whether it's intended or not), the stops take on a common theme.
    Cops start sharing details of their interactions among each other.
    Commonalities are noted (now itr's all bad).
    Stops all now take on a common theme, and everyone is looked at as a potential problem.
    Media gets wind of it, and the 2A community (particularly NRA) is blamed.
    5-10 years of hard work is now pissed away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom