• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    So the first handgun I ever shot was my fathers M&P in .40 when I was 14. I was a very small kid and the recoil physically hurt to handle. I think this paved the way for me developing a terrible flinch. Now 7 or 8 years later I can hit anything with my ruger mkII but when you put a 9mm in my hands I turn into a limp wristed fairy who flinches all over the place. Im much much bigger now so wrist strength is not the issue, its all psychological. How do I get over this? Ive been practicing with 9mm but havent got much better. Should I buy a lighter kicking gun in a smaller caliber to help work my way up to something bigger?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Lots of dry fire practice at home. Be sure to use a firm grip. Also load and shoot one round at a from a mag, then dry fire a couple rounds between single shot loadings. From there you should go to a ball and dummy drill. The ball and dummy drill is one of the best for detecting and helping to alleviate flinches and poor form.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    So the first handgun I ever shot was my fathers M&P in .40 when I was 14. I was a very small kid and the recoil physically hurt to handle. I think this paved the way for me developing a terrible flinch. Now 7 or 8 years later I can hit anything with my ruger mkII but when you put a 9mm in my hands I turn into a limp wristed fairy who flinches all over the place. Im much much bigger now so wrist strength is not the issue, its all psychological. How do I get over this? Ive been practicing with 9mm but havent got much better. Should I buy a lighter kicking gun in a smaller caliber to help work my way up to something bigger?

Sgt Preston here...

This is NOT a new problem...

Lots of people have had it...

The soloution is very simple...

Step 1. Buy a set of snap caps...

Step 2. Make sure that the pistol is empty & clear...

Step 3. Using the snap caps, hold the pistol in you hand & without looking at the sights, very slowly squeeze the trigger = Dry Fire to learn the "feel" of the trigger...

Step 4. As you confidence builds up look at the front sights, they should not move or flinch when the hammer falls...

Step 5. After you have mastered getting the feel of the trigger (this could take a week or more), take the gun to the range & focus on squeezing the trigger & making perfect shots, do NO pay much little attention to the sights at first, just don't flinch..

Step 6. Practice, Practice, Practice...

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Snap caps help. However, until you get over the idea of recoil, you're going to flinch. You need to become comfortable and familiar with it. Going to the range everyday for a week and firing a thousand defense caliber rounds worked for me.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    What kind of 9mm do you have? Some of the small ones have a worse kick than larger .45's. If you want to meet at Myrtle Grove, I can let you try a few of my handguns, and try to help you with your problem.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm sorry. But snap caps do NOTHING for you getting used to muzzle blast and recoil.
    Bad trigger finger/control has nothing to do with how you react to these pistol explosions.
    Snap caps or empty brass loaded with live rounds in a magazine just tell you if you flinch anymore or not.

You need someone coaching you through shooting this pistol while you are shooting it, along with you just getting used to it after shooting it for awhile.
    You are flinching during the recoil and you are landing bad shots. You see these bad shots and are getting discouraged and angry because of a poor group. Then you get tired and give up and go away upset.

A lighter recoil .22 pistol is not going to help you with a larger caliber pistol.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Use a revolver and only load a couple of random cylinders. Spin it before you close it. No don't do a hollywood and slam it.
    Fire it on single action. You won't know when a round is coming up. Keep practicing.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'm sorry. But snap caps do NOTHING for you getting used to muzzle blast and recoil.
    Bad trigger finger/control has nothing to do with how you react to these pistol explosions.
    Snap caps or empty brass loaded with live rounds in a magazine just tell you if you flinch anymore or not.

You need someone coaching you through shooting this pistol while you are shooting it, along with you just getting used to it after shooting it for awhile.
    You are flinching during the recoil and you are landing bad shots. You see these bad shots and are getting discouraged and angry because of a poor group. Then you get tired and give up and go away upset.

A lighter recoil .22 pistol is not going to help you with a larger caliber pistol.

This is the correct answer. You must have a coach. We all have shooting deficiencies, some more than others. Your issue needs coaching and LOTS of randomly placed snap caps in each magazine.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Im shooting a styer s9 but I do the same thing with a beretta 92. I dont flinch when I dry fire because im not anticipating. But if I were to load a bad round or snap cap mixed in with live rounds you would see me flinch and jerk up. Its not an anticipation of that soft 9mm recoil but of the sound and muzzle blast. Im considering selling my styer and buying a really heavy .357 then working my way up with .38 special loads

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Im shooting a styer s9 but I do the same thing with a beretta 92. I dont flinch when I dry fire because im not anticipating. But if I were to load a bad round or snap cap mixed in with live rounds you would see me flinch and jerk up. Its not an anticipation of that soft 9mm recoil but of the sound and muzzle blast. Im considering selling my styer and buying a really heavy .357 then working my way up with .38 special loads

I have seen young shooters who don't like the report. A different gun isn't the answer, I would get better hearing protection and then shoot as much as possible to get used to it. Read the article I suggested, it should help. Bottom line is getting used to the noise and muzzle blast. I come from a "loud" family and quite honestly enjoy the noise of shooting, it masks the other noises I am used to hearing. lol If all else fails, get married...after a while you will get used to loud annoying noise!

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Use a revolver and only load a couple of random cylinders. Spin it before you close it. No don't do a hollywood and slam it.
    Fire it on single action. You won't know when a round is coming up. Keep practicing.

This will do it. Make sure you take a few buddies with you to the range so they can laugh and ridicule you when the gun wiggles all over the place without a round going off.:D

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I have seen young shooters who don't like the report. A different gun isn't the answer, I would get better hearing protection and then shoot as much as possible to get used to it. Read the article I suggested, it should help. Bottom line is getting used to the noise and muzzle blast. I come from a "loud" family and quite honestly enjoy the noise of shooting, it masks the other noises I am used to hearing. lol If all else fails, get married...after a while you will get used to loud annoying noise!
    This might be it
    try doubling up your ear protection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom