• ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I have the 22/45 Mark 2...

A couple of quick thoughts...

#1. Check your sights, are they loose..?

#2. Try CCI Round Nosed Mini Mags, these are: reasonably priced, fool proof, very accurate ammo & powerful enough to cycle the action. The CCI Mini Mags are my exclusive go to ammo...

#3. I'm not a perfectionist, but I really do like to hit stuff that I shoot at...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    bore kleen #10 with a plastic brush and switch to a different ammo and see if it happens again. not sure what you cleaning procedure is but bore kleen and kroil cleaned what i thought was already clean.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I still have 1500 rounds of this crap to go through. What do you think of mixing the rounds with the Federal I have? Do you think by shooting some of each it will help keep the lead from building up?

ankrklankr

Thunderbolt ammo is known to cause this. I had coils of lead coming out my barrel from that crap.

I didn't have coils but I put 50 rds through my Ruger Single Six one morning then ran a bore snake through the barrel while it was still warm. Got it home and let it sit a couple days then ran the snake down the barrel again and lead came out in small chunks and one piece 1/2" x 1/4", curved by the barrel down the long measurement. And each section of the cylinder between the flutes was coated in lead as well as the connecting bar above the gap between the cylinder and the barrel - it looks like the lead cut a groove the width of the gap there (I checked the gap w/a feeler gauge and it was w/in Ruger tolerances). This happened a month ago and I'm still cleaning it.

I'd heard about how dirty the Win T-bolt was but wrote it off to one excuse or another until the above happened. I'll not be putting that stuff through any of my firearms again, if I can help it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Any of you with Thunderbolt, that are unhappy with it, send it to me. I shoot almost nothing else but Thunderbolt through my Mark II. I have done it for years. I have never had a problem with it. I clean my Mark II about every 5,000 rounds.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Any of you with Thunderbolt, that are unhappy with it, send it to me. I shoot almost nothing else but Thunderbolt through my Mark II. I have done it for years. I have never had a problem with it. I clean my Mark II about every 5,000 rounds.

Are you willing to make a trade? I have 3 500 round boxes.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Remington makes the worst production ammo there is, IMO. I dont touch the stuff.

I've got a 10/22 with a heavy barrel and Tech Sights that as long as it isn't windy will hold 10 shots inside of 4" at 100 yards with no problem with Remington bulk pack from Bass Pro (back when they actually had ammo to sell.)

When a gun like the Ruger MK II just suddenly loses accuracy the first thing I'd look at is the rear sight assembly. Make sure everything is tight and good to go. If on the other hand the accuracy returns when you clean it, then goes away when it gets dirty again, I'd suspect a rough barrel that is causing lead deposits to build up.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I shot a few hundred cci standard three days ago and some more yesterday. The barrel only had a few tiny specs of dust as opposed to the big flakes of lead clinging onto it that it had with thunderbolts. I can see that the amount of lead buildup I had was not normal and was the cause of the problem. I dont know if I got bad ammo (the lot number was not the same as the recalled ammo) or if all thunderbolt is like this, but it seems to be an ammo related problem.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I put 300 rounds of copper coated CCI tactical AR through my brand new 22/45 and the barrel was very clean when finished. I did have the front sight come loose and I think the rear adjustment was backing out.

I figured since it came apart I'd machine it for a light pipe.
    DSC01682_zpsadf172df.jpg

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I put 300 rounds of copper coated CCI tactical AR through my brand new 22/45 and the barrel was very clean when finished. I did have the front sight come loose and I think the rear adjustment was backing out.

I figured since it came apart I'd machine it for a light pipe.
    DSC01682_zpsadf172df.jpg

very nice !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom