• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I just picked up a vz24 that I love but 8mm ammo is not as cheap and available and not nearly the quality that it was before.
    I almost dropped 260 bucks on 900 yugo 8mm rounds but I dont want to pay 30 cents a round for corrosive ammo known for hangfires and duds. I looked into buying my first press with the money I would of spent on ammo and worked out without brass I could reload 8mm for a little less than 40 cents a round. However the 8mm brass ive seen is pretty pricey and would bring the costs way up. I have some decent surplus brass and im sure a lot of other people do too. Does anyone reload 8mm surplus brass with berdan primers?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Before you do anything else make sure you can purchase Berdan primers of the correct size. These primers come in many sizes and are not like US large and small primers. You will also need a decapping tool. This one I used to reload 7.62X39 before boxer primed brass was available.

Last edited:

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    After some googling Ive found some people using the same berdan primers made for surplus 7.62x51 to reload 8mm. As long as I can remove the primers I cant see how this wouldnt work out. The tool might be the most reasonable option. But I saw a video on youtube where I guy drilled the flash holes of the casing larger so he could just punch them out with a steel rod. Is it safe to enlarge the flash holes of these cases? It would simplify and speed up the depriming process a lot.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have only heard about enlarging the primer pocket but not the flash hole. I recommend using boxer brass. Other methods are time consuming and may turn you off to reloading.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Hey man. People have reloaded Berdan 8mm Mauser before with mixed results. First you have to get your hands on Berdan primers, which aren't always easy to get. And depending on who made the ammo, the primers could be a different diameter.

I'd suggest that you either keep shooting surplus and cleaning really well or size down .30/06 brass to reload 8mm Mauser.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Before you do anything else make sure you can purchase Berdan primers of the correct size. These primers come in many sizes and are not like US large and small primers. You will also need a decapping tool. This one I used to reload 7.62X39 before boxer primed brass was available.

That decapping tool sucks

The tips breaks and it yields poor results too often

The hydraulic method yields much better results....even if its a little wetter

Google hydraulic decapping berdan primers

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Once ago I tried to get my arms around reloading Berdan brass. It was a major PITA to decap the cases. Then finding Bredan primers was a bigger PITA. I threw in the towel on the project.

Surplus ammo is still cheaper than reloading boxer 8mm brass with JB's. An alternative is casting .323's. Gas checked CB's aren't hard to make and shoot nicely in all my 8mm mausers. Granted, they're not the same as full power rounds, but they're a lot cheaper and make for fun plinking. CB's are another option.

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    First, I've successfully reloaded several types of Berdan-primed 8x57 -- Turkish, Czech, and Iranian -- and Swiss 7.5x55. Bottom line is: it is easier to buy Boxer primed ammo/cases. I bought my Tula-brand Berdan primers at Graf and Sons brick and mortar store in Missouri. Possible, sure. Pain in the ass, oh yeah. Worth it, no.
    Second, the RCBS Berdan depriming tool works fine WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED. I, too, broke a tip before figuring it out. RCBS's instructions are useless. Now I amaze other reloaders by showing them how and letting them pop out some Berdan primers.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Once ago I tried to get my arms around reloading Berdan brass. It was a major PITA to decap the cases. Then finding Bredan primers was a bigger PITA. I threw in the towel on the project.

Surplus ammo is still cheaper than reloading boxer 8mm brass with JB's. An alternative is casting .323's. Gas checked CB's aren't hard to make and shoot nicely in all my 8mm mausers. Granted, they're not the same as full power rounds, but they're a lot cheaper and make for fun plinking. CB's are another option.

I havent even considered Casting my own bullets, but I have seen that cast bullets can be bought for less half the price of others. Why can rounds with cast bullets not be loaded to full power?

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Get the boxer brass. The simple fact that you will be able to shoot accurate rounds will/should out way the couple extra dollars It cost for brass. If you are happy hittin a pie pan, carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom