• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Looking at buying a redot for my AR15 started looking at aimpoint seeing if anyone has an opinion between the Pro vs Micro T2 vs CompM4S. Thanks for the help.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    My honest advice- save your money and go w/ a tasco red dot for $40. optics don't make you a better shooter, save your $.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    My honest advice- save your money and go w/ a tasco red dot for $40. optics don't make you a better shooter, save your $.

Depending on what he wants to use it for, though, that Tasco might not cut it. (And I own both Aimpoints and $50 Bushnells.)

OP, as far as the Aimpoint goes, what are you going to use the rifle for? You can't really go "wrong" with an Aimpoint product, IMO, but the three of them are slightly different in various ways. For most "regular guys," I would say that the PRO is a great choice - it's several hundred dollars cheaper than the other two and has all of the main features that both of them do.

Unless you really need the small size of the Mico, or really need the extra NVG settings (the PRO is NVG compatible too, just less settings) or silly long battery life (the PRO has a 3+ year battery life, but the other two are even longer) of the Comp or the Micro, the PRO is a great deal.

I have one on one of my rifles and really love it.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Looking at buying a redot for my AR15 started looking at aimpoint seeing if anyone has an opinion between the Pro vs Micro T2 vs CompM4S. Thanks for the help.

The Pro would suit you just fine. Great deal for the money. I have the T-1 which is virtually the same thing as the T-2 and I can tell you it's not worth a couple more. It's just smaller and looks cooler. I personally like a wider field of view. Have you ever thought about getting an MRO? They aren't much more than the Pro.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I bought my red dots with ruggedness in mind so I opted for an Aimpoint comp m4 and T1. You can always move them around and repurpose them if you like. I have the Comp m4 on a bolt action slug gun for deer hunting at the moment. I'll move it back to an AR-15 or an AR-10 platform at another time.

The rugged design & implementation of the Aimpoints allowed me to do this. So cost might seem high and it might make sense to pay the Aimpoint price depending on your situation.

Just my 2 cents.

As to your original question: Either is great. The M4 is a bit easier to see through in that is has a bigger picture for me. I also mate it with a 3x magnifier. I would go with the M4 or M4S personally.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD

There's a difference in price between the three mentioned. I would go with the one that suits your budget. If weight is an issue, then the t2. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    The lower priced red dots work for range time and possibly hunting. I used one for about 6 months, and even though I tried to remember to turn it off (and did) the battery life was so short that I honestly wasn't sure when it would turn off. I've also had folks show off their new red dots at the range only to discover that the battery had run out and they would then ask if I had a spare.

I want piece of mind, especially if it's going to be on self defense rifle or a hunting rifle. I don't want to be lined up for a shot on a hog, only to have the battery die, or to be up in a tree stand and realize the battery is dead.

I'd buy once and cry once. I went with the PRO.

There's an added benefit: my wife can shoot a pistol very accurately but she can't shoot a rifle with iron sights or a scope. She can shoot with a red dot. We will always have at least one AR with a red dot.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Speaking of which, it's time to change the battery in my PRO. It's been in there about three years.

Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am all about the saving money aspect but lets just say i am in a field where one day my life or yours may depend on this red dot. So that being said Aimpoint has a hell of a reputation so i am willing to put out the money for that quality.

Big country

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    I bought my red dots with ruggedness in mind so I opted for an Aimpoint comp m4 and T1. You can always move them around and repurpose them if you like. I have the Comp m4 on a bolt action slug gun for deer hunting at the moment. I'll move it back to an AR-15 or an AR-10 platform at another time.

The rugged design & implementation of the Aimpoints allowed me to do this. So cost might seem high and it might make sense to pay the Aimpoint price depending on your situation.

Just my 2 cents.

As to your original question: Either is great. The M4 is a bit easier to see through in that is has a bigger picture for me. I also mate it with a 3x magnifier. I would go with the M4 or M4S personally.

BigSteve57 you notice any difference in the glass between the two? I know they claim the T2 is supposed to be clearer with better glass and less of a blue tint.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

I couldn't disagree with this more. Pay for quality it is worth it. Buy once cry once. And generally, red dots get you on target faster than iron sights, which does in fact make you a better shooter.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am all about the saving money aspect but lets just say i am in a field where one day my life or yours may depend on this red dot. So that being said Aimpoint has a hell of a reputation so i am willing to put out the money for that quality.

Definitely spend the money then.

I don't know if you've seen it, but Aimpoint has a product comparator thing on their site:

http://us.aimpoint.com/products/product-finder/

Pick the products and hit compare.
    The main differences between the PRO and the CompM4 are battery type (AA for the Comp, 3v lithium for the PRO), battery life (7 years for the Comp vs 3 for the PRO, rounded), number of settings (Comp has more brightness settings for day - 9 vs 6 - and NVG - 7 vs 4 - than the PRO).

All of the shock proof, waterproof, vibration proof stuff are the same between the two.

They both now come with similar mounts (the QRW2 mount on my PRO will lower 1/3 co-witness when it's on my VLTOR CASV rail, which adds some height to the top of the upper).

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I agree to spend the money on an Aimpoint, you will not regret it. If you are going to go with a Micro and don't need the NV feature, look at the Aimpoint H1 micro.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    BigSteve57 you notice any difference in the glass between the two? I know they claim the T2 is supposed to be clearer with better glass and less of a blue tint.

I never noticed a clarity difference. Not saying there isn't one, rather I just never saw any meaningful difference.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a CompML3 and a T1. I like both, but prefer the FOV of the ML3. Maybe it is because I have much more time on the ML3 than the T1.

I am considering the Trijicon MRO for a future carbine optic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom