• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    No LEO that I know needs a permit to carry off duty. Some choose to get one for personal preference reasons, such as what they want to carry while off duty.

Are you a LEO?
    Do you carry under LEOSA?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Of the two, Miller is more likely to play than Busch.

Might be true, but of all the "top" dems in the state, electorally, he is the most vulnerable.

In his district, he was 3rd of 3, topped by 2 Republicans. A serious "anti-Mike" campaign will easily knock him out of office. He did not have that many more votes than the 4th place candidate.

If Busch continues to play hardball, he may find himself thrown out of the game

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Are you a LEO?
    Do you carry under LEOSA?
    I am not, but have relatives and many friends that are, and they all carry off duty without a permit. They meet the definition of "Qualified LEO" or "Qualified Retired LEO" and carry under LEOSA.

Why would any current LEO or retired LEO in good standings need a permit to carry? They might choose to get one, but why would they need one? How could they not be eligible to carry under LEOSA?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I am not, but have relatives and many friends that are, and they all carry off duty without a permit. They meet the definition of "Qualified LEO" or "Qualified Retired LEO" and carry under LEOSA.

Why would any current LEO or retired LEO in good standings need a permit to carry? They might choose to get one, but why would they need one? How could they not be eligible to carry under LEOSA?

Too many reasons to list right now.
    Maybe a few will chime in.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Why would any current LEO or retired LEO in good standings need a permit to carry? They might choose to get one, but why would they need one? How could they not be eligible to carry under LEOSA?[/QUOTE]

Some current sworn LEO's do not have powers of arrest so they can only carry while on duty. The only way they can carry off duty is with a carry permit.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have it on good authority that Frosh, after willing the AG election, went to licensing and told the dept to scrutinize active police permits as much as ordinary citizen permits. So an officer looking for a permit to carry while off duty needed to pass the G&S just like the rest of us. How crazy is that? Now, whether or not they listened to this is another story.

I can only wonder how that made the MSP management and line Troopers feel? The new AG, Frosh, a/k/a "The Mustache," telling LEO to figure out a way to screw fellow LEO's out of a way to obtain a carry permit they shouldn't need in the first place. I am guessing they listened politely then muttered "eff him" as he left. However, maybe that kind of BS will help them to understand the situation most of us are in, and that they could easily find themselves in one day.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I can only wonder how that made the MSP management and line Troopers feel? The new AG, Frosh, a/k/a "The Mustache," telling LEO to figure out a way to screw fellow LEO's out of a way to obtain a carry permit they shouldn't need in the first place. I am guessing they listened politely then muttered "eff him" as he left. However, maybe that kind of BS will help them to understand the situation most of us are in, and that they could easily find themselves in one day.

Pretty much. The troopers did not appreciate it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty sure LEOSA would fix that. Also after talking to MSP they will not issue a permit to an officer if they qualify under LEOSA and they will not issue LEOSA credentials unless you are MSP or fire marshal. I could be very wrong but I don't think an off duty officer needs a permit to carry.

Well, many get them in case they go out on a medical, admin or called up for active duty. Most depts neuter (take gun and creds) officers for such things and not just disciplinary action.
    Also, many get them so they can carry a pistol they want that may not be "approved" for off duty.

So there's a couple reasons why off duty cops would want a permit.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Well, many get them in case they go out on a medical, admin or called up for active duty. Most depts neuter (take gun and creds) officers for such things and not just disciplinary action.
    Also, many get them so they can carry a pistol they want that may not be "approved" for off duty.

So there's a couple reasons why off duty cops would want a permit.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom