• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll be coming to vistit Maryland in June.

I already know that my gun(s) will have to triple-locked in a titanium safe at the farthest reaches of my vehicle. :)

I do have a Texas Concealed Handgun License (not valid in the MDSSR).

If I want to go to the range, will I have to jump through any hoops to do so?

If I recall, I can only transport my Evil Instrument of Evil directly from the house to the range and back...locked away, of course.

Any other wacky, yet legally-enacted, rules that I need to know about?

Thanks,

Mike

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    You pretty much got it covered. I'd keep ammo and firearms separated. However, and although I do not recommend it, there is a AG opinion floating around that states loaded magazines are NOT illegal to transport in your vehicle. So if you want to preload that's okay, but keep them separate from the firearm. Some ranges from upon preloaded mags, so I'd keep them in a separate bag. It's not illegal to posses or use 10+ capacity mags provided you didn't purchase or manufacture them in Maryland after Oct. 1, 2013. So you can bring all plus 10's, 20's and 30's you want and use them at the range.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    nothing new same as it was!though getting a bite to eat is alright many do so after hitting the range and to keep things simple,keeping the ammo separated from the firearm/s is fine even loaded magazines but of course separated from the firearm/s

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    Yes, you can transport them locked and unloaded to the range and back. Even if it isn't loaded, there should also not be a loaded mag near you in the car such that you could load quickly.

You should check out the county rules where you will be visiting. I am in Montgomery county and I think the range I go to is the only one in the county. Montgomery country rules do not allow you to bring your ammo to the range, you have to buy it there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP refered generically to "Guns" . Three different discussions if we are speaking of : 1. Normal rifles and shotguns 2. Handguns 3. Cosmetically Evil Looking Rifles .

Catagory #1 is no sweat.

Catagory #2 the main issue is justification for transport at a particular moment. Cross border , proceede to your temporary domicile while staying in Md. When not specifically going to/ from range ( or other aproved destination) , they must remain behind at your temporary domicle while you are out and about. If staying at trusted friends or relatives , you're probably good. Hotel/ Motel , might need to think that thru some more.

Catagory #3 is complex enough , you need to give us more specifics.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Make sure you leave plenty of sales tax money as an offering to Omalley as a way to make up for bringing an evil death machine into this utopian state!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My Daughter and Son-in-law just came for a visit and he brought his scary looking AR with him. We went to the AGC yesterday without incident and right now they are on their way home to America. If you are paranoid and act ashamed of having a gun you will probably survive a trip to Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Loaded mags are fine in MD-nothing prohibits them from being anywhere in your car or even on your person. As long as not inserted in the firearm.

AG ruling attached.

Google MD 4-203 to see the transport statute.

IANAL

Attachments

• MD AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 82

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    One more thing. Not sure where in MD you are going, but stay out of DC with your firearms and ammo. Don't even drive through the district if you have them in your car. Go around. This includes empty shells. Bad mojo.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'll be coming to vistit Maryland in June.

I already know that my gun(s) will have to triple-locked in a titanium safe at the farthest reaches of my vehicle. :)

I do have a Texas Concealed Handgun License (not valid in the MDSSR).

If I want to go to the range, will I have to jump through any hoops to do so?

If I recall, I can only transport my Evil Instrument of Evil directly from the house to the range and back...locked away, of course.

Any other wacky, yet legally-enacted, rules that I need to know about?

Thanks,

Mike

Wow! You already have a good case of BGOS (Battered Gun Owner's Syndrome), and you haven't even gotten here yet!

Handgun doesn't have to be locked up, just in a case or an enclosed holster.

Law doesn't require "direct" travel to the range and back.

More here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1806734

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The "out of reach thing" is totally bogus. Same with the separation of ammo from the gun. As long as it's not loaded, you're legal in MD.

The ammo does not to even be separate from the gun when traveling interstate. As long as ammo and firearm are separate from you (trunk) you're legal. In the case of a vehicle with no trunk either the ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom