• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    I started looking for a semi-autos quite a while ago (trying to pick a 9mm good for a beginner), but the process got side-tracked by sequestration. That's the short story, let's just say that there are some issues at work right now, so I never spent the money. But with the new laws that our benevolent rulers have bestowed upon us, looks like the time is now to go get something.

To that end, I went and test drove two Rugers at On Target Sunday. I tried the P95 first, then the SR9. I wanted to try an M&P, but they didn't have one available. Since I'm on a budget, I wanted to like the P95 better, but Murphy's law applied so of course I liked the SR9 better. To a beginner like me, there wasn't much difference functionally - Load mag, rack slide, pull trigger - but the trigger pull was so much nicer on the SR9. It was smoother and more predictable, and the results on the target were noticeably better. I had a much tighter grouping with the SR9. That's not a completely fair comparison, since it had been over a year since I fired anything I wasn't exactly in the groove with the P95. Might have done a little better with it had it been the second one I tried.

Anyway, I guess the point of my rambling is that between the issues at work killing my budget and watching the GA pass awful legislation, the fun had been sucked out of the shopping process. I'm so glad I actually did some shooting this weekend, it brought the fun right back! Now let's cross our fingers that I get out there and find something to buy this weekend.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    A little over a year ago, I did the exact same thing. Went to On Target to look for a P95 (prior to the craziness) and the salesperson asked if I had tried the SR9. I had never held one, and when he placed it on the counter, I fell in love. I also shot much better with it and it became mine in 8 days :)

Good luck with your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom