Digital Scales (your reviews and opinions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Hey,
    I am not a high volume reloader.
    im using a beam scale, which i think is not too bad, but not too accurate??...dunno, so im just reaching out to double check my measurements so i can set my Dillion reloader correctly.

I still consider myself a beginner/new-bee and i have been away from the hobby for a few years. so now im revisiting the hobby and i want to step up my skills and accuracy.

Thanks

Interesting thought......

Beam scales are plenty accurate...just slow and a little tedious.

Yes maybe it depends...

This... beam scales are accurate and the scott parker tuned beam scales are super accurate. They are however slow. The RCBS chargemaster or the lite help speed things up but lrocing starts to climb.

If you want to go all out, there is always an autotrickler (in jest)

https://www.autotrickler.com/autotrickler.html

Have a Dillon Digital and another no name one. But my beams are my go to scales, Old USA made whether
    they be Ohaus 10-10, RCBS 10-10 or a Lyman M5, have em all. Most "tuned" by Scott Parker, great work,
    repeatable and accurate. You can have digitals and everything that goes with them, just my opinion or .02
    worth, digitals are faster, but why is everything have to do with speed and time?? ..anyway...
    Still like my beams no matter what call me old school but there are times that they just plain out work...
    But bottom line it's your money and buy what you want......

-Rock

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    From what's he's said, he's wanting to check if his powder measure on his Dillon progressive is set right and likely check periodically. Almost zero reason to get a digital scale for that. Any decent beam scale will do that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From what's he's said, he's wanting to check if his powder measure on his Dillon progressive is set right and likely check periodically. Almost zero reason to get a digital scale for that. Any decent beam scale will do that.
    Absolutely. I use my RCBS beam scale to not only check my Dillon, but my RCBS Chargemaster too. Gravity never lies.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    If you have check weights to test your digital scale would you still need a balance beam scale to check your digital scale too?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you have check weights to test your digital scale would you still need a balance beam scale to check your digital scale too?
    I do if I'm doing a long session, or if I take a break. I just don't trust digital. It's quicker than recalibrating the digital.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    thanks to everyone- thus far- for chiming in on this topic.

I do find it interesting that some of you check your digitals with the balance beam.

I just was not sure how spot on my beam was.

-
    Don

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Absolutely. I use my RCBS beam scale to not only check my Dillon, but my RCBS Chargemaster too. Gravity never lies.
    That's not completely true. Gravity across the globe has variances - according to this article as much as 1% of your body weight at extremes - translated, a 200 lb person would weigh up to 2 full pounds more or less at those extremes, although I can submit that this change is probably negligible when talking about the difference in a tenth or two of a grain.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24068-gravity-map-reveals-earths-extremes/

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That's not completely true. Gravity across the globe has variances - according to this article as much as 1% of your body weight at extremes - translated, a 200 lb person would weigh up to 2 full pounds more or less at those extremes, although I can submit that this change is probably negligible when talking about the difference in a tenth or two of a grain.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24068-gravity-map-reveals-earths-extremes/

That ever so crucial 16 milliseconds of hang time:

"These differences mean that in the unlikely event that you found yourself falling from a height of 100 metres at each point, you would hit the surface in Peru about 16 milliseconds later than in the Arctic." :lol2:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

"These differences mean that in the unlikely event that you found yourself falling from a height of 100 metres at each point, you would hit the surface in Peru about 16 milliseconds later than in the Arctic." :lol2:
    I realize that it's only academic, and for reloading it's not going to matter - the point was that the force of gravity isn't constant and it depends on where you are on the planet.

I still trust my Frankord Arsenal digital scale. I'll continue to check it here and there, but I've had it for years and it hasn't been wrong yet.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I realize that it's only academic, and for reloading it's not going to matter - the point was that the force of gravity isn't constant and it depends on where you are on the planet.

I still trust my Frankord Arsenal digital scale. I'll continue to check it here and there, but I've had it for years and it hasn't been wrong yet.

That’s pretty much how I feel. I use my check weights whenever I use the scale which means whenever I mess with the loader. If the scale reads the check weights correctly why wouldn’t it do the same for the powder?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That’s pretty much how I feel. I use my check weights whenever I use the scale which means whenever I mess with the loader. If the scale reads the check weights correctly why wouldn’t it do the same for the powder?

The sensor could have linearity issues. That's why it needs to be calibrated at zero and then multiple weights. Even then, there could be nonlinearities in between check weight values.

Once I set a weight on my RCBS Chargemaster Lite, I double check the first two or three charges it throws against a beam scale to verify accuracy at the specific weight I'm loading with.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    The sensor could have linearity issues. That's why it needs to be calibrated at zero and then multiple weights. Even then, there could be nonlinearities in between check weight values.

Once I set a weight on my RCBS Chargemaster Lite, I double check the first two or three charges it throws against a beam scale to verify accuracy at the specific weight I'm loading with.

So you trust your beam scale more than the check weights? Do you check the calibration of the beam scale with check weights?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

So much for a good night's sleep...:eek:

:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

...but if you never checked it, how would you know? :rolleyes:

That's all we're saying. :shrug:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    [/B]...but if you never checked it, how would you know? :rolleyes:

That's all we're saying. :shrug:
    I thought I mentioned in my first part that when I first started using it, I'd check it against a balance beam scale and it was always dead nuts accurate. I take very good care of it, so I don't see a reason for it to ever be off.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The only time I've had a beam scale fail me was when some steel filings got trapped by the magnet and were impinging upon the copper damper plate. Not really the scale's fault.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only time I've had a beam scale fail me was when some steel filings got trapped by the magnet and were impinging upon the copper damper plate. Not really the scale's fault.

My caliper did that to me this week. It wouldn't close all the way to zero it. Finally saw a minute steel flake in it.
    That's why we always check everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom