Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 11th, 2019, 06:55 AM #1

Press ram play

So I've been using my rock chucker press since 1983 and recently I watched a video where the person replaced his older press because of play in the ram. He claims he was getting flyers because the ram had play and therefore his loaded rds weren't concentric or perhaps they weren't consistant would be the better discription. Looking at my old press with the ram fully extended there is some play forward and back and side to side but I've not noticed any flyers or for that matter any irregularities in my loaded rounds. I must say that I recently acquired one of lymans small c frame presses for use as a decapper etc. This press has no play what so ever in the fully extended ram. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:49 AM #2
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

For the rounds to not be concentric it would seem to me that there would have to be something wrong with the die, not the ram.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:06 PM #3

I was kinda leaning that way myself but I thought it would be good to hear other opinions.thanks
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:58 PM #4

I’ve been watching “precision shooters” replace the rams on their Rock Chuckers for 30 years. I never understood the reasoning. The brass floats in the shell holder anyway, so any play you remove from the ram is far overshadowed by the play in the shell holder to brass fit. The brass self centers in the die anyway.

Still... some guys swear it improves the precision of their hand loads.
GunBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 01:39 PM #5
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
So I've been using my rock chucker press since 1983 and recently I watched a video where the person replaced his older press because of play in the ram. He claims he was getting flyers because the ram had play and therefore his loaded rds weren't concentric or perhaps they weren't consistant would be the better discription. Looking at my old press with the ram fully extended there is some play forward and back and side to side but I've not noticed any flyers or for that matter any irregularities in my loaded rounds. I must say that I recently acquired one of lymans small c frame presses for use as a decapper etc. This press has no play what so ever in the fully extended ram. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks
Load a batch with each press and see if the results are different. The targets will tell you if it makes a measurable difference. Be sure to post the results.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:17 PM #6

A test firing sounds like a good idea. I might order up a concentricity gauge and check the runout on loads from both presses.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:19 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBum View Post
I’ve been watching “precision shooters” replace the rams on their Rock Chuckers for 30 years. I never understood the reasoning. The brass floats in the shell holder anyway, so any play you remove from the ram is far overshadowed by the play in the shell holder to brass fit. The brass self centers in the die anyway.

Still... some guys swear it improves the precision of their hand loads.
And some measure the charge to 1/100 a gram. Sometimes to less than one granule of powder.

Most would be better served by SHOOTING more and reloading less.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:38 PM #8

I am die hard <5mil concentric guy.

I have looked into it for 30 years. The shell hold is usually the culprit. You want a floating shell holder. What I do I to touch the bullet with the ram and lift off a time or two, seat in .1" and pull off. Then seat. It centers the round. Faster then you think.

Some rounds that have a bunch of freebore, it really makes a difference. Some not so much. But I figure why be mediocre at anything I do. I have proved over and over to folks that rounds with <.005" of wobble will outshoot ones that have >.01"

Thats the fun of it.
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 08:09 AM #9

I've seated the bullet about half way and then lowered the ram and turned the round 180 degrees and then seated it the rest of the way but right now I don't have way to check my results...I think I need another tool.
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:08 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
My thought is, maybe he actually discovered that the neck and bullet portion of his chamber had been initially reamed to a diameter larger than the precision part of a cartridge, the bullet and aggregate wear in the throat is becoming evident, resulting in inconsistency.
Saami specs for some reamers are already oversize .001-.005 than bullet diameter to accommodate cartridge necks, leaving the cartridge case as the only thing to support the bullet as it enters the bore.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading