• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Are there any large (or well stocked small) retailers near Frederick that carry a variety of belts, holsters and mag pouches?

I'm completely new to the gear aspect of competitive shooting and would like to get my hands on the stuff as opposed to hitting Amazon or whatever.

Would the best bet be a police supply store (are there any and can civvies shop there's)? Or just saw screw it and do all of this online?

Thanks!
    -chad

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    first, what is ispsa, is that a combo of idpa and uspsa, ahahaha

but really, hit a few matches WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. even if you have to put magazines in your back pocket. ask around and see what is working for everyone, and where they got their stuff. unfortunately i have seen no to little true competition gear at any of the gun stores i have been to. shootersconnectionstore.com is one of the online favorite stores. dawsonprecision also.

also check out brianenos.com. they have tons of discussions on what gear works and what doesn't, as well as talk on everything related to action shooting.

trust me, if you just go out and buy a buncha stuff, it won't be the right stuff. learn from some of my mistakes.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    first, what is ispsa, is that a combo of idpa and uspsa, ahahaha

but really, hit a few matches WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. even if you have to put magazines in your back pocket. ask around and see what is working for everyone, and where they got their stuff. unfortunately i have seen no to little true competition gear at any of the gun stores i have been to. shootersconnectionstore.com is one of the online favorite stores. dawsonprecision also.

also check out brianenos.com. they have tons of discussions on what gear works and what doesn't, as well as talk on everything related to action shooting.

trust me, if you just go out and buy a buncha stuff, it won't be the right stuff. learn from some of my mistakes.

Sweet, a new shooting sport I've never heard of either!

JK>

Check out Comp-tac or BladeTech for the most popular gear.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'd recommend:

Belt
    Holster
    Mag pouches (2 minimum)
    Gun
    10 mags
    Mag loader
    cleaning kit
    range bag
    hat
    shooting glasses
    Ear plugs and electronic headphones
    gloves
    water bottle
    small towel
    ink pen
    sharpie
    bandaids
    tourniquet
    shot-timer
    long pants/shirt
    comfortable shoes
    bubble-gum

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'd recommend:

Belt
    Holster
    Mag pouches (2 minimum)
    Gun
    10 mags
    Mag loader
    cleaning kit
    range bag
    hat
    shooting glasses
    gloves
    water bottle
    small towel
    ink pen
    sharpie
    bandaids
    tourniquet
    shot-timer
    long pants/shirt
    comfortable shoes
    bubble-gum

NO

In order to kick ass you must be all out of bubble gum.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    New to ISPSA, where to buy gear?

NO

In order to kick ass you must be all out of bubble gum.

To be fair he was going to do both. He just happened to be out of bubblegum
    71fd0ae3cc3ac9da19f5730c51d7de39.jpg

But yeah. Good post. I chortled.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not sure what you mean by ISPSA. Do you mean IPSC or USPSA or IDPA. The first 2 are the same, just that IPSC is the rest of the world and USPSA is the US organization for it. IDPA is more CCW oriented while USPSA is more game oriented although all of them are games to a greater or lessor extent. On equipment there are big differences. IDPA assumes its for CCW so holsters for every division have to meet the rules of being close to the body in a particular area on your belt. USPSA/IPSC Production is the same as it was introduced so that IDPA shooters could shoot their IDPA gear and firearms without having to compete against the racegun guys with their speed holsters. There are so many divisions in USPSA/IPSC its hard to tell what is going on without a score card. Here is a rough outline (don't hold me to everything)
    Open: unlimited pistols with every kind of mod allowed. Only real rule is the max 170mm mag length which can hold from 26-30 rounds or so depending on caliber. Holsters can be anything that is safe and covers the triggerguard and can be well off the hip facilitating quick draws. Must make major power factor to get maximum targets points. Most common calibers are 38 Super, 9x23mm, and 9 Major because they can get more rounds in a 170mm mag than something like .40, 357Sig, or .45.
    Limited: Iron sights (or FO or any combination) and not much else except any internal mod, same mag size limits as Open, magwells are OK, same holsters allowed as Open, think of it as raceguns with iron sights. Limited is a division aimed at .40 S&W. Only a gun shooting a bullet .40" or larger is allowed to shoot Major for points. Every other caliber smaller shoots Minor regardless of how much power factor the load has.(I think 357Sig is allowed now because it loads the same number of rounds in the mag as a .40 so it has no advantage).
    Production: I think its any firearm allowed in IDPA SSP division. Can't be a custom pistol as most things have to be stock, although trigger work is allowed up to a point. Holster rules like I said like IDPA, meaning a carry type holster not a race one.
    Carry Optics: like Production in some ways but allows slide mounted optics that are mounted integral to the slide (no slide mods other than factory type) like S&W CORE type mini red dot mounts. Same holster rules as Production I think.
    Other Divisions:
    ISR: Iron Sight Revolver (limited division for revolvers)
    OSR: Open Sight Revolvers ( open racegun division for revolvers)
    PCCO: Pistol Caliber Carbine Optics (9mm-.45 caliber carbines and rifles with red dots)
    PCCI: Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron (same as above just iron or FO sights)

So the point is where to start. If you want to shoot IDPA then just use your gear in USPSA Production. Some kind of belt holster and at least a double mag pouch would be fine. Lots of holster choices but you may end up buying a number of them looking for the "perfect" holster. I suggest one of the Uncle Mike's, Bladetech, or Blackhawk holsters with adjustable angle setups. Some clubs don't allow anything but vertical holsters and you may find you like some angle for carry (ha ha in MD on that). I use holsters in the vertical position for IDPA, but have not shot USPSA pistol in a couple of years so I don't know about that. I suggest just buying MD legal 10 round mags because you won't often get a chance in IDPA to load more and USPSA Production is limited to 10 in the mag anyway. There are some USPSA stages that go up to 32 rounds so buying a 4th mag is advised although you won't need it for IDPA unless you want to shoot a gun in CCP (Compact Carry Pistol) or BUG (Back Up Gun), or some other gun with less than 10 capacity.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Most of Minuteman's list is true but everything below about halfway down is speculation at best.
    This stuff is what you need to start with:
    Belt
    Holster
    Mag pouches (2 minimum)
    Gun
    10 mags (4 is good enough to start unless you decide you want to shoot Steel Challenge, also, then I recommend 5-6)
    Mag loader
    cleaning kit
    range bag
    hat
    shooting glasses

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bladetech or comptac holster and mag pouches
    double alpha or cr speed double layer velcro'd belts. shooters connection also has their private label a little cheaper and works fine.

but again, hit some matches first and look and ask around.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not sure what you mean by ISPSA. Do you mean IPSC or USPSA or IDPA. The first 2 are the same, just that IPSC is the rest of the world and USPSA is the US organization for it. IDPA is more CCW oriented while USPSA is more game oriented although all of them are games to a greater or lessor extent. On equipment there are big differences. IDPA assumes its for CCW so holsters for every division have to meet the rules of being close to the body in a particular area on your belt. USPSA/IPSC Production is the same as it was introduced so that IDPA shooters could shoot their IDPA gear and firearms without having to compete against the racegun guys with their speed holsters. There are so many divisions in USPSA/IPSC its hard to tell what is going on without a score card. Here is a rough outline (don't hold me to everything)
    Open: unlimited pistols with every kind of mod allowed. Only real rule is the max 170mm mag length which can hold from 26-30 rounds or so depending on caliber. Holsters can be anything that is safe and covers the triggerguard and can be well off the hip facilitating quick draws. Must make major power factor to get maximum targets points. Most common calibers are 38 Super, 9x23mm, and 9 Major because they can get more rounds in a 170mm mag than something like .40, 357Sig, or .45.
    Limited: Iron sights (or FO or any combination) and not much else except any internal mod, same mag size limits as Open, magwells are OK, same holsters allowed as Open, think of it as raceguns with iron sights. Limited is a division aimed at .40 S&W. Only a gun shooting a bullet .40" or larger is allowed to shoot Major for points. Every other caliber smaller shoots Minor regardless of how much power factor the load has.(I think 357Sig is allowed now because it loads the same number of rounds in the mag as a .40 so it has no advantage).
    Production: I think its any firearm allowed in IDPA SSP division. Can't be a custom pistol as most things have to be stock, although trigger work is allowed up to a point. Holster rules like I said like IDPA, meaning a carry type holster not a race one.
    Carry Optics: like Production in some ways but allows slide mounted optics that are mounted integral to the slide (no slide mods other than factory type) like S&W CORE type mini red dot mounts. Same holster rules as Production I think.
    Other Divisions:
    ISR: Iron Sight Revolver (limited division for revolvers)
    OSR: Open Sight Revolvers ( open racegun division for revolvers)
    PCCO: Pistol Caliber Carbine Optics (9mm-.45 caliber carbines and rifles with red dots)
    PCCI: Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron (same as above just iron or FO sights)

So the point is where to start. If you want to shoot IDPA then just use your gear in USPSA Production. Some kind of belt holster and at least a double mag pouch would be fine. Lots of holster choices but you may end up buying a number of them looking for the "perfect" holster. I suggest one of the Uncle Mike's, Bladetech, or Blackhawk holsters with adjustable angle setups. Some clubs don't allow anything but vertical holsters and you may find you like some angle for carry (ha ha in MD on that). I use holsters in the vertical position for IDPA, but have not shot USPSA pistol in a couple of years so I don't know about that. I suggest just buying MD legal 10 round mags because you won't often get a chance in IDPA to load more and USPSA Production is limited to 10 in the mag anyway. There are some USPSA stages that go up to 32 rounds so buying a 4th mag is advised although you won't need it for IDPA unless you want to shoot a gun in CCP (Compact Carry Pistol) or BUG (Back Up Gun), or some other gun with less than 10 capacity.

Holly ch@t Batman, I have never seen such a long response by someone that didn't even understand the question! Good for you for trying to cover all bases!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can't buy just anything till you know what class/division you are going to shoot and what you are allowed. I understood the real question first. You can't buy race gear except on line. So if you want to play the game you have to know the rules of your particular game.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Most of Minuteman's list is true but everything below about halfway down is speculation at best.
    This stuff is what you need to start with:
    Belt
    Holster
    Mag pouches (2 minimum)
    Gun
    10 mags (4 is good enough to start unless you decide you want to shoot Steel Challenge, also, then I recommend 5-6)
    Mag loader
    cleaning kit
    range bag
    hat
    shooting glasses

Yep.
    I started off sincerely, then had fun with it.

Great write up, near perfect summary of the differences, and excellent advice.

It's true, the bubblegum is totally optional. :)

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks guys. Sorry for the initial confusion. I'll take the ribbing.

Production is what I'm planning on. I was just hoping to get a line on a local place with a decent selection of belts and holsters and stuff.

Thanks again.
    -chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom