• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Im looking for an accurate 16" or 18" complete upper in 223/556... Ideal would be something with a nice slim front handguard and flat top rail similar to the Ruger AR556 MPR. Any suggestions on a reliable build or complete purchase would be awesome! Links are great...

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    There's about 10,000 different combo's out there so Google around. There's literally too much to even begin to give good advice on without a better description of what you want and how much you are willing to spend. Also value per dollar is all over the place since so many folks are making or assembling AR parts now.

Browsing gun.deals will show you some other sites to search through too.
    https://gun.deals/category/gun-parts?page=1&caliber=1571

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Accuracy and reliability under $400... That should narrow it down. Flat top rail slim handguard....

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    I can't find any complete uppers in 16" or 18" with flat top rails... Everything is out of stock it seems like. Any ideas?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Let’s see, you’ve got a thread looking for a complete upper, and a thread looking for a complete lower. Did I miss the one looking for a complete AR? Just buy a complete AR, less hassle and you get a warranty. Or get a stripped lower and build the one of your dreams. Also without knowing where you’re located what you want may not be state compliant. As in Maryland.....only Hbar.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I can't find any complete uppers in 16" or 18" with flat top rails... Everything is out of stock it seems like. Any ideas?

Google search "flat top upper" and hit enter. 5.9M hits according to my quick look. If you are having trouble finding one you will really suffer trying to figure out which you want.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Deltateamtactical.com, Thundertactical.com, Palmetto State. Be forewarned...a buddy bought a complete kit from Delta Team and the firing pin hole in the bolt is grossly oversized...blew the primer out on second shot. They are cheap and we're seeing that there's a reason for that. Take the advice DA gave me and build your own.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Not sure what you are looking for, application wise, but check out whiteoak complete uppers. They shoot NICE.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I agree with most in this thread. Building is the only way to go at that price point.

Your biggest issue is finding a MD compliant, accurate barrel that would allow you to stay under $400 with all the other parts. Even if you find that complete upper, you should disassemble and make sure everything is kosher as quality has been lacking with many manufacturers lately. You would be surprised how bad it is. I had an Aero Precision BCG that was staked incorrectly. Fortunately it was caught in the SOTAR class I attended and repaired.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I agree with most in this thread. Building is the only way to go at that price point.

Your biggest issue is finding a MD compliant, accurate barrel that would allow you to stay under $400 with all the other parts. Even if you find that complete upper, you should disassemble and make sure everything is kosher as quality has been lacking with many manufacturers lately. You would be surprised how bad it is. I had an Aero Precision BCG that was staked incorrectly. Fortunately it was caught in the SOTAR class I attended and repaired.

Yeah, what he said X2 :thumbsup:

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    My biggest hurdle is trying to find something Maryland compliant with an HBAR but if I build a complete upper I still have to find an HBAR so I don't understand the difference really.... Sorry about the separate threads I bought a complete upper that I would like to use in a pistol configuration of 300BLK (first) and I'm looking to also use it in a rifle configuration as 556 (second)... My first thread I made asking about the legality of making a pistol configuration out of a complete lower and my second thread was asking about options for a complete upper. Now as I'm reading replies I might just want to build the complete lower into the 300BLK pistol and buy a separate complete 556 that is Maryland compliant....

Don't worry I won't make another thread asking what my options are for a MD COMPLIANT 556... But if you want to help you could give me options for a complete 300BLK pistol upper... Doesn't have to be HBAR right?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    My biggest hurdle is trying to find something Maryland compliant with an HBAR but if I build a complete upper I still have to find an HBAR so I don't understand the difference really.... Sorry about the separate threads I bought a complete upper that I would like to use in a pistol configuration of 300BLK (first) and I'm looking to also use it in a rifle configuration as 556 (second)... My first thread I made asking about the legality of making a pistol configuration out of a complete lower and my second thread was asking about options for a complete upper. Now as I'm reading replies I might just want to build the complete lower into the 300BLK pistol and buy a separate complete 556 that is Maryland compliant....

Don't worry I won't make another thread asking what my options are for a MD COMPLIANT 556... But if you want to help you could give me options for a complete 300BLK pistol upper... Doesn't have to be HBAR right?

If you were asking for a cheap complete HBAR upper then that wouldn't be an issue. Just go to the popular sites, put in "HBAR" and pick one that meets your price point. Just make sure you keep the ad and you are compliant.

You are asking for an accurate and reliable upper. That's a whole different ball game as most inexpensive complete uppers are built with bulk barrels. Who knows if they are good or bad. Just because I bought one doesn't mean they are using the same parts. Then you add the fact that companies aren't managing quality control well and reliability goes out the window.

That's why most people are saying to source parts and build it. You know what you are getting and you minimize variables.

As for the 300BLK argument...I say yes, it must be HBAR to cover your ass.
    IANAL...I'm just paranoid.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Hbar only for .223/5.56. 300BO or any other caliber it doesn't apply. Having a lower to work on both a 300BO and .223, I'd only concern would be if they had drastically different barrel lengths. You only have a possible buffer issue.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Build your own upper. I have built uppers for people that showed up with box 'o parts from a parts list I gave them. Total cost on the parts was 550-700, depending on if they caught things on sale or not.

There are other things you want to do during the build process if you want an accurate upper, but I take issue with that statement, because you have not defined what you call "accurate". Is accurate defined as military acceptable or what I classify as accurate (sub-MOA to MOA with good ammo)?

How far down the rabbit hole for "accurate" do you want to go? I have a upper that just the barrel exceeds your total budget for the upper. Don't ask how much the total rifle cost, you won't like the answer.

As for the 300BLK pistol upper, just build it yourself! Don't buy one already assembled, because if you build it, you will control every aspect of the upper and the parts that are used.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Deltateamtactical.com, Thundertactical.com, Palmetto State. Be forewarned...a buddy bought a complete kit from Delta Team and the firing pin hole in the bolt is grossly oversized...blew the primer out on second shot. They are cheap and we're seeing that there's a reason for that. Take the advice DA gave me and build your own.

Thanks for the shout out. :D

Your buddy make any headway with DT when he called?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom