• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Ruger 10/22, after you get tired of it stock there are a ton of options available for you to make it into anything you want. I prefer classic styling myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
      IMG_1325.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 436

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    ^^^Augie, that rifle is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!

OP:
    For a semi-auto, you cannot go wrong with the 10/22. You just can't.

For a bolt action, the Remington 541-S or the 541-T will spoil you.
    It looks like a scaled down Remington 700.
    Accuracy is top notch.
    There's only one little catch. Both have been discontinued. IF you find one, you WILL pay a premium!

For a lever action, the Marlin 39A sets the standard.
    The Winchester 9422 is a really fun rifle to shoot, too!!

Good luck on your quest to find a fun rifle!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What is done to that 10/22 and what is the base model? I looked on rivers site and there are a number of 10/22 models. I don't know what to look into in the 10/22, are they all the same and just different colors? Or am I missing something?

Knoxx Axiom stock trimmed and inletted for the AIM CommTac quadrail. Offset irons with clamp on quadrail front sight/bayonet mount. Cheap flash hider and 8-24 scope. My next 10-22 will become a Thompson.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Totally Agree in this list and also Marlin 795. Henry Lever Action is awesome.

For really Budget, Marlin 60 or Marlin 795 can't go wrong. Both can get for less than $150 and can out shoot anything in it class out of the box without Mod.

My first rifle is Marlin 795 and I still have it and now got new stock.

DSC03284.JPG

My wife and my wallet are not happy that you posted that picture. http://www.badgerm22.com/ for anyone else interested.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Marlin 795 for about $150.

Add tech sights for $70ish, for real plinking fun.

+1000

I bought one on reviews I had read and what a sleeper of a great 22 it is. Most reliable 22 semi auto I have owned. Hits to point of aim, firm but not heavy trigger. I have other 22 rifles, but this inexpensive Marlin 795 is my favorite and my daughter's favorite as well. Not disrespecting any of the other fine 22's out there, but don't overlook the inexpensive Marilin

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As others have noted, the 10/22 is an excellent semi-auto and you can trick it out with tacticool later. However, if you just want a plinker....as someone else noted, semi-autos don't handle every kind of ammo well....a bolt or a lever is great. For levers, I have a Marlin 39D (Variant of the Marlin 39A) that fun and nice and I've shot the Henry's BUT!! I love my Browning BL 22. Not only is it a light weight lever, but the really short throw is really cool to work. As others have noted, some of the Marlins are AMAZING values for the money. Of 6 22s I have, my old, inexpensive Marlin 781 bolt action is the most accurate. In fact, it handles standard velocity ammo as well as a friends Anshutz. He actually got a little aggravated and PO'ed when I fired shot for shot against him with my 'cheapo' rifle. And coolest of all...CCI CB caps! I used the long ones mostly, but it will shoot the short ones as well. About all you hear when the gun goes off is a click much like just having a firing pin fall. These rounds can also be pretty accurate also. I've killed squirrels and rabbits at ranges beyond 25 yds and if something happens (like they move or something) and I miss, they aren't even alarmed. That's something a semi auto really can't handle...or at least it can't cycle them. To be fair, though, I knew someone with a Marlin semi-auto who fired long CBs and just worked the action to feed it manually. Let us know what you decide on.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the 15-22 is crap. I don't trust anything that S&W has put out in the last couple of years, and the 15-22 is no exception.

I'm not a hater, I've literally not been able to feed one full mag through my buddy's without a FTF or FTE

And then there was the issue with the M&P I bought with the slide cracking- TWICE

S&W used to be great, but now since they have become literally synonymous with "gun" they have let their quality control fall to crap.

I recommend the ruger.

Not only is ruger's stainless steel extremely corrosion resistant, but also harder than other manufacturer's stainless steels.

For reference, really good quality 416 R stainless steel for competition or varminter AR barrels is about 40-42 HRC hardness. Ruger's proprietary anticorro stainless is 46-50 HRC, and I've literally fired countless 550 round bricks through mine, to the tune of at least 75-80 thousand rounds over the years, and the rifling is still sharp and crisp, and the rifle is still a tack driver. Granted .22 LR is not known to burn up barrels, but still- the muzzle looks like a negative image of a perfectly machined cog or gear.

Rugers are built like tanks, I've never been able to wear one out- and even if you could Ruger stands behind their products like no other company, with warranty staying with the gun, not the original owner. They are everything an American company should be, and I will support them any way I can.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    What is done to that 10/22 and what is the base model? I looked on rivers site and there are a number of 10/22 models. I don't know what to look into in the 10/22, are they all the same and just different colors? Or am I missing something?

http://ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/models.html

Check out ruger's page above, and see what you like.

The blued models are cheaper, and the steel is a tiny bit harder, but they will rust if not oiled, theoretically anyways- I've never seen a rusty 10/22 unless it was literally neglected and left outside for weeks.

The weatherproof models are stainless and come with a polymer stock. As was mentioned, Ruger has it's own proprietary stainless steel that is incredibly sturdy and corrosion resistant.

I tend to prefer stainless guns anyways, but with rugers I ALWAYS go stainless, the only exception being the SR-556 AR-15 class rifles since they have hard chromed everything and an AMAZINGLY reliable gas piston system.

That said, they now have a varminter with a stainless barrel.

But yeah, I tend to gravitate towards guns with chrome lined bores, or stainless construction, I'd like to have things last long enough to be heirlooms.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Totally Agree in this list and also Marlin 795. Henry Lever Action is awesome.

For really Budget, Marlin 60 or Marlin 795 can't go wrong. Both can get for less than $150 and can out shoot anything in it class out of the box without Mod.

My first rifle is Marlin 795 and I still have it and now got new stock.

DSC03284.JPG

Now what in the wild wide world of sports is that?????

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    If you want to go out to 100 yards regularly with a .22 and don't want to spend a lot of money, but want a semi-auto - I think you should get a Marlin 60 over the Ruger 10/22. You can make a Ruger into an amazing rifle, but if you leave it bone stock, the Marlin is typically a bit more accurate than the Ruger out of the box. The extra accuracy isn't a huge deal - unless you want to reach out to longer ranges like you said.

Don't be put off by the tube magazine - it is fine. I actually like it because it is really simple to load and it means nothing sticks out below the level of the gun.

I put a fairly inexpensive, Sweet 22 scope on mine and it can do amazing things at 100 yards. I don't remember the exact prices now, but I am pretty sure I have under $300 total for the gun, the scope and the mount in it.

BTW, buy this mount for your scope. It rocks and is cheap. Mine has held zero for hundreds of rounds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TUSJVQ/ref=oh_details_o09_s03_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    +1000

I bought one on reviews I had read and what a sleeper of a great 22 it is. Most reliable 22 semi auto I have owned. Hits to point of aim, firm but not heavy trigger. I have other 22 rifles, but this inexpensive Marlin 795 is my favorite and my daughter's favorite as well. Not disrespecting any of the other fine 22's out there, but don't overlook the inexpensive Marilin

I could not agree more. I threw a center point scope on mine and its the first 22lr my kids shot as well. I can shoot that damn thing all day and its accurate as hell. GREAT buy for the money for sure.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    10/22 is nice but I would look at the ruger american 22. They are getting some good reviews. Might even be cheaper than a 10/22 and take the same clips. The american, or the new savage Bmag will be my next purchase.

this way you can shoot all kinds of ammo lr,l,shorts, quiet rounds.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My friend has a stock Ruger 10/22 and I have a stock 795 but with tech sights. When I scope mine, I can out shoot him but the guns are pretty close. The rep and finish on the 10/22 is better in my opinion. My Marlin xt22 bolt though will definitly outshoot both of those and has an adjustable trigger like the new Ruger American 22 does.

I ask this, where are you shooting?
    I ask that cause I like shooting steel at my outdoor range which requires me to shoot at 100yds. I do shoot at steel with the 795 and tech sights, but my kids can't do it well and tear up my frame.

Different things you can do, figure out if a 22 will be a rung on your latter or if you will shoot it alot and mod it. Your only way to lose is if you don't buy anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom