• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    VSP is currently beyond 90 days on NR permit processing.

Volume really slows down the entire process.

Not defending MPDC but it's not unique to DC.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Please do, congrats and welcome to the club in advance.

Wait a minute. Welcome to the club??????
    You write about it as if having permits is some sort of badge of honor. Permits are still an infringement. We do it because it’s a stepping stone, going in the direction of where we should be. It’s no where near the final product. Where in the Second Amendment does it say that you should get permission from the government to exercise a God given right?

Aren’t you a Patriot Picket guy?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Whoa there big fella. Stove is just being friendly

No one is more dedicated to the 2A and constitutional carry than Stove. As you note, while what we want is indeed desirable, it takes many intermediate steps to get there.

SCOTUS has ruled that rights are not limitless and can be regulated.

Save your animosity for those that deserve it.

diamondd817

Oct 26, 2012
    You write about it as if having permits is some sort of badge of honor. Permits are still an infringement. We do it because it’s a stepping stone, going in the direction of where we should be. It’s no where near the final product. Where in the Second Amendment does it say that you should get permission from the government to exercise a God given right?

God did not write the Second Amendment or the Constitution of the United States. The right to Keep and Bear Arms is not God Given! Please refrain from that statement, it makes us gun nuts look like idiots.

Self defense on the other hand, is a God Given Right.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015

The club of lawful concealed carry in DC, however obtained.

Stove is already LTC in DC, and would love nothing better than to see constitutional carry everywhere, so law abiding citizens can be on the same footing as the bad guys. But I'm just guessing. He'll no doubt be along shortly to say for sure.....

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For me UT took 41 days, FL 38 and NH 17. DC took 91 days on my first denial and 93 days on my second denial. I had to call them and remind them on the second one as they were just letting it sit. The difference is those other states will tell you what the max number of days is but will also say that it usually doesn’t take that long, and it doesn’t. DC takes the full 90 days intentionally no matter what.

If you’re happy with that it’s fine but the 90 day period is for processing, not stalling.

How long have UT, FL and NH been issuing permits? And how long has DC been doing the same? I understand your impatience, been there done that and all but the ink is barely dry on the court ruling.

And yes, as others have said welcome to the club is a greeting, kind of like someone who has had a certain surgical procedure would say to another person who just had the same thing done.

My personal belief is that the 2A should be my carry permit but that isn't the world you or I live in right now.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is there proof that DC is stalling? The regs says 90 days and another 90 if the chief deems it. VA says 60 and as Stove points out, other states have been doing this for a long time. Times will improve as staffing adjustments and processes are improved. No state has to give you a reason why it takes the allocated time, as long as they get it done i the time allotted by the regs.

Relax.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    God did not write the Second Amendment or the Constitution of the United States. The right to Keep and Bear Arms is not God Given! Please refrain from that statement, it makes us gun nuts look like idiots.

Self defense on the other hand, is a God Given Right.

Question: Why do you think the founders, who were, hint: Godly men inspired by God, thought it necessary to include a Second Amendment into the Bill Of Rights?

Answer: Whether against a criminal or a tyrannical government you can’t be effective in self defense without the means to do so.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What makes you say that? Training classes are maxed out right now and the process is going forward. Soon there will be a whole slew of threads with people showing off their DC permits.

Where? I've called three places and no problem getting a seat. Last weekend, they had room for more night before @ $250.

Please do, congrats and welcome to the club in advance.

I just don't get all the panty bunching about the 90 day turn around. Utah is very pro 2A and their permit took me almost 60 days to receive. Expecting DC to turn around on a dime and suddenly become PA in the expeditious processing of permits, although desirable, is unrealistic, IMO.

.. and showing off permits. States' AGs would have a gold mine scouring MDS if the need arises.

From what I recall the backlog was less than 500 permits, recall in the 400's range. I don't think DC will be a jurisdiction with a remarkable percentage of its own residents applying for license. Certainly a bubble right now. The slow processing has nothing to do with volume imo. Get 40 a day done and the backlog is gone in two weeks. I bet the sole officer in Gettysburg could do ten plus a day, and that is starting from filling out the application.

Informing me I need to redo 16 hr training, that is not a backlog problem. It is to burden me, and then creates another step for them as well when unnecessary.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The regs say 90 days. They can scratch their butts for 80 of those and still comply. Sad but true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

Volume is not MPDC's problem. Before the Wrenn decision it they only had <600 permit applications to process(between 2013-2016). No way it takes them 90 days to process a background check on 600 apps. They are definitely holding permits intentionally the full 90 days.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We also don’t know how many they have recd after the decision. Not defending them but there is not much to be done as long as it’s <90 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    We also don’t know how many they have recd after the decision.

The officer who took my applications said there is no rush of new applicants. I walked right up to the window without any wait. I saw two other people apply while I was there over the course on 45 minuets.

I also took the DC law course from DC Conceled Carry last week in a class of 7 people, but only two of us sounded like we were ready to apply without more training. The course is offered 3 times per week but the day I went, a Friday, was the only day that anyone had signed up for.

My impression is that DC going Shall Issue has created a stir among us gun nuts on Shooters, but not so much elsewhere. I doubt there is going to be a huge influx of new carry permit applications, at least not right away.

The officer that I talked with indicated that past applicants were her first priority to deal with. It's a small sampling, but me and the two other that I saw there were initial applicants, not people previously turned down for lack of G&S. She said "90 days" for me.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Maybe a more significant number is not how many past applicants there are, but how many of them find the time and make the effort to apply again. Taking a morning off work and traveling into town to deal with the DC government is not an insignificant hurdle.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Maybe a more significant number is not how many past applicants there are, but how many of them find the time and make the effort to apply again. Taking a morning off work and traveling into town to deal with the DC government is not an insignificant hurdle.

Previously denied don't have to do that. DC has sent a letter, to previously denied applicants, that you simply sign and return.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We don't know staffing levels at the FRS. Assuming 400 previous apps processing it could still take awhile. IIRC NICS checks are only good for 30 days so I'd imagine they have to be redone.

Plus its da gubermint and it's DC gubermint, so factor that in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom