• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    No. The diameter and length of the .22 WMR are larger than .22 LR, so the rounds will neither feed nor chamber correctly. That being said, NEVER attempt to load or fire rounds through a firearm that they are not chambered for.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    no,NO NO don't try to chamber these rounds, 22 mag and 22 lr do NOT interchange. you will regret any attempt to force 22 mag into a 22lr chamber
    22 short and long may work in your bolt gun, I know of a bolt gun that jams on the shorts, but the gun says 22lr only.
    shorts and long will technically fire in the 60, but will not cycle, the may stick in the chamber, making it difficult to get the casing out . rounds would have to loaded singly into the chamber. using shorts or longs in the 60.this should be an act of desperation.
    cb rounds wont cycle the 60 either, neither will subsonics

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    That all makes sense.

Since the magnums are roughly 50% higher velocity and 100% higher energy it seemed logical they're different animals but figured I'd ask. When in doubt.....

chipd

May 20, 2017
    you might want to read the manual again. it is short. you can download it for free if you lost it or never got it.

there's not a single 22LR gun out there that doesn't say repeatedly, usually in red ink, that you should never load 22 magnum rounds in the manual.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    you might want to read the manual again. it is short. you can download it for free if you lost it or never got it.

there's not a single 22LR gun out there that doesn't say repeatedly, usually in red ink, that you should never load 22 magnum rounds in the manual.

^^THIS. Also, just looking at each round would answer your question. The internet can also be your friend

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Ruger Single Six, was a rimfire single action .22 that came with two cylinders. One for .22S/L/LR and one for .22 Magnum.

The bullets are the same diameter.

Attachments

• 22_Long_22_LR_22_Winchester_Magnum.jpg
      22_Long_22_LR_22_Winchester_Magnum.jpg
      6.3 KB · Views: 414

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    You should buy a 22 mag. They are awesome. I love mine.

I've never owned one, except for the cylinder with a single six.

Every few years I price them and want to get one until I see the ammo cost. Then I figure I have 233 bolts, AR'S and Minis, so I don't bother.

Now I want one again.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Or I can ask here and get all sorts of different info and opinions in addition to simply getting an answer to the basic question.

Here's some extra info too: You probably couldn't chamber a 22 mag in a non-mag chamber (please don't try to prove me wrong ;) ) because, in addition to the length of the case, the diameter is actually larger too. It uses a different type of bullet. Magnum bullets have a very similar profile to most centerfire projectiles and the case grips them at their widest diameter. LR (and L, and S) use an older style "heel type" bullet that is reduced diameter where the case grips it. If you notice, the diameter of a .22LR projectile is essentially exactly the same as the outside diameter of the case where as a .22mag case has an outside diameter larger than the bullet.

I learned that little detail not too long ago...it seemed interesting enough to me to pass along :shrug:

This also means that a .22LR (L, or S) will fit (with room to spare) in a mag chamber...but you shouldn't do that either ;)

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Ruger Single Six, was a rimfire single action .22 that came with two cylinders. One for .22S/L/LR and one for .22 Magnum.

The bullets are the same diameter.

I gotta chime in - bullet is the projectile alone - the cartridges are not the same size or diameter

per the link - do a search, they are two different cartrigdes

.222 on the LR and .224 on the WMR. According the Chuckhawks, the average .22 LR bore diameter is .218.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...22-mag-difference-in-bullet-diameters.229764/

The .22 WMR uses a larger case than the more popular .22 Long Rifle, both in diameter and length. The .22 WMR case is a lengthened version of the older .22 WRF. The combination of more powder and higher sustained pressures gives velocities over 2,000 feet per second (610 m/s) from a rifle using a 30-grain (1.9 g) bullet, and 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) from a handgun. A .22 WMR round will not fit into the chamber of a .22 LR firearm, but it is possible, though unsafe, to chamber .22 LR rounds in a .22 WMR firearm, although doing so can result in injury from gas leaking around the LR case which is undersized for a magnum chamber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Magnum_Rimfire

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually bullet dia is different also-
    .22lr - .223 (same as early .22 Hornet)
    .22WMR-.224 ( same as .22 centerfire, except early .22 Hornet)

In reality, both can be fired from same actual bbl ( think dual clyinder revolvers ). But accuraccy can vary between the different ctgs, depending uppn which better fits the bbl.

But I'm impressed, this.was.a unique question. The usual inquiry is " can I.shoot .22LR from my .22WMR gun ? "

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    According to Cabelas, the bullets are close enough in size so barrel is the same. Just need a different sized chamber........... "Chambered in .22 LR, it comes with a .22-Magnum cylinder so you can convert from one caliber to the other in seconds. The six-groove rifled barrel shoots both equally well."

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-Rimfire-Revolvers/709949.uts

I'm learning a lot here, but that's what "they" say

Ruger Single Six is probably the most well known revolver with LR and mag cylinders, but not the only. I know Taurus makes one (I think on their Tracker frame) and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a S&W that does.

I have a Single Six. It's kinda neat to feel it recoil and boom with the mag cylinder...but mostly just a novelty kind of thing (for me, at least). Given the cost of ammo (and the fact that I'm not hunting with it), I really only use LR anymore. If somehow it was the only gun I had for self defense, sure, I'd put the mag cylinder in it...but I hope that's never the case.

.22mag ammo cost about as much as 9mm, maybe a little more. Now that LR is available...it's a lot cheaper to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom