• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    You can bet your last dollar that other liberal jurisdictions will attempt this same tactic. If it can happen in California, it can certainly happen in Maryland. :mad54:

Taken directly from the article:

"A Park district spokeswoman said no trace of lead has been found in the lake."

So why are they closing the range??? The antis, having no legal reason to shut it down, resort to a bogus "environmental" claim in order to further erode the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/02/gun-club-closed-because-pollution-from-spent-bullets.html

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'm surprised Myrtle Grove hasn't closed because of noise pollution with all those complete morons buying houses near shooting ranges then they complain about hearing gun shots. I'd like to hear more gun shots where I live and I wish I could live closer to a shooting range. I'm weird.

"Lead from bullets is leaching into groundwater and creeks that flow into Lake Chabot, which is supposed to provide a backup drinking-water supply for the East Bay Municipal Utility District. A Park district spokeswoman said no trace of lead has been found in the lake."

OK, now I'm completely confused, or maybe the "journalist" is confused?
    If lead in the ground is really harmful, the Civil War would have contaminated a large portion of the country.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Chabot is the nicest range in that area. I was just talking to my brothers about them closing. I grew up not too far from there, that was the first range I've ever been to.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    This is indeed the tip of the iceberg. The Army did some work several years ago that showed a serious leaching issue on (or rather beneath) many of their ranges. A main conclusion was that acid rain was reacting with the lead alloy and causing the lead to leach out. They reportedly found quite a collection of empty copper jackets from which the lead had totally leached out. It was also alleged that leach rate was somewhat dependent on soil composition of the backstop, as it impacted the chemistry. I don't think the report ever saw the light of day, but it has been a number of years and it may have been released. (A friend of mine was the lead researcher on this project while at Aberdeen, and is now retired.)

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So this could effectively shut down handgun shooting ranges. Since we aren't allowed "armor piercing" ammo and that only leaves us with lead, it is in effect taking away handguns completely.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So this could effectively shut down handgun shooting ranges. Since we aren't allowed "armor piercing" ammo and that only leaves us with lead, it is in effect taking away handguns completely.
    I did some quick math last sunday. Without a random extra shot here and there, a person shooting a hundred round sporting clays course deposits a little over 7lbs of lead.... times 100 rounds at our club, times the number of shoots a year..... wowzaaa.

The reclamation process probably get back about 60 percent (guess).

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    AGC netted 108K from the lead reclamation that was done last year.

Think about it. 108 THOUSAND dollars, and that was just a % of what the reclamation company paid out.

THAT is a crap load of lead.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    AGC netted 108K from the lead reclamation that was done last year. Think about it. 108 THOUSAND dollars, and that was just a % of what the reclamation company paid out. THAT is a crap load of lead.
    Was that mostly from the pistol range?
    Seemed like they did not spend a lot of time on the 100yd or 200yd range
    How many decades since last reclamation ?
    I bet the indoor ranges get some bank from the brass and the lead

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    OGC did about $42K last spring. Had been 5 years from their last reclamation. I believe it was right around 125,000lbs. Had to threaten the company with legal action (more than once) to get paid. Bad checks, broken promises, lies. The went up to Atglen, set up and ran for about a week, then gave up and left, never paid them a dime (to my knowledge).

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Didn't they close down a Skeet and Trap Range in Gaithersburg, MD. Because of noise and lead.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Was that mostly from the pistol range?
    Seemed like they did not spend a lot of time on the 100yd or 200yd range
    How many decades since last reclamation ?
    I bet the indoor ranges get some bank from the brass and the lead

Most of it was from the Trap range.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    AGC netted 108K from the lead reclamation that was done last year.

Think about it. 108 THOUSAND dollars, and that was just a % of what the reclamation company paid out.

THAT is a crap load of lead.

I'd be curious to know how many pounds they got?

Shydas was no less than $33/25lbs in October 2015. Probably more like $35/$36. Can't remember.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I think I remember $.40 per lb when Oxford did theirs. Scrap is in the toilet now, across the board.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Hopefully this won't be pushed again here.

I hear gunshots all the time in Carroll county. Makes me feel safe. The opposite of how it made me feel when I lived in the city for a couple years.

Hearing gunshots in rural areas to me is a reminder of freedom. In the city it reminds me why we need our freedoms.

I have no lead stats to post, but forming a reclamation company sounds more lucrative than I expected.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I used to me a member at National Capital Trap & Skeet - closed after a bogus environmental lawsuit bled us dry... Also same at Broadkill Trap Club in Delaware near Lewis.
    Anyone can sue anyone and if they have more lawyer money eventually they kill you

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Chicago had its legendary Lincoln Park Gun Club, a/k/a Lincoln Park Traps, founded in 1912, which was located a few miles north of the Loop on the shore of Lake Michigan, into which the shot, wads and clays fell. I shot there in the '80's. It was terrific, shooting on the lake near the heart of the city.

In the '90's the city sued for environmental damage and it was shut down. The reality, according to the environmental analyses I read, was there was no impact on the environment. Wikipedia says:

In 1995...The city had paid $500,000 two years prior for an analysis of the soil and sand where the club had operated; however the study, performed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, determined that there was no pollution present, and that although there was a significant amount of lead shot and clay pigeons resting on the lake's bottom, it posed no health risk to humans or aquatic life.

That was the STATE'S OWN FINDING! So much for the facts. Every club is at risk, because politics is the enemy, not reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom