• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    DONT BE CHEAP...

I think it depends on what you need. I have an 8 gun StackOn that is basically just a key locked steel cabinet. It keeps little fingers off of my guns, but you could probably pop it open in under a minute with a good pry bar.

Unfortunately, most of the safes I've seen under a $1,000 aren't really much better at stopping a pry bar attacker with time on his hands.

k2-_2f51aa49-6391-4a19-932b-037b5693d602.v3.jpg

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I think it depends on what you need. I have an 8 gun StackOn that is basically just a key locked steel cabinet. It keeps little fingers off of my guns, but you could probably pop it open in under a minute with a good pry bar.

Unfortunately, most of the safes I've seen under a $1,000 aren't really much better at stopping a pry bar attacker with time on his hands.

k2-_2f51aa49-6391-4a19-932b-037b5693d602.v3.jpg

Ok thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    J
    That would be it. I pulled these photos off of a locksmith forum that I belong to - and embellished things a bit in order to make a point. While the safe did not actually contain guns, I was trying to point out how poorly many of the gun safes on the market perform when subjected to forced entry attacks.

That pharmacy is in a world of hurt. DEA has iirc a TL15 requirement to store schedule II substances and this certainly didn't look like a rated container.

If we follow the mayor og Baltimores thinking, there will be 100eds of homicides in Ft Worth due to the drugs that made it on the market ('1.2 mil' is the typical police method of inflating values by quoting street price. Wholesale pharmacy this was a couple of thousand bucks).

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    That pharmacy is in a world of hurt. DEA has iirc a TL15 requirement to store schedule II substances and this certainly didn't look like a rated container.

If we follow the mayor og Baltimores thinking, there will be 100eds of homicides in Ft Worth due to the drugs that made it on the market ('1.2 mil' is the typical police method of inflating values by quoting street price. Wholesale pharmacy this was a couple of thousand bucks).
    DEA does have specific requirements for the storage of narcotics. Generally, GSA approved narcotics containers are required, but TL-15s and up will generally get approved. However, most DEA agents do not get any real training with respect to security containers, so it's possible that this container was inadvertently passed during inspection.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I've never had any illusions that my safe was burglary proof, and I've got a decent safe - a Heritage Tradition series safe. With that said, how I've got it positioned in my house makes it difficult to get to the sides, and it can't be moved because it's bolted down.

The bottom line, if someone really wants to get into my safe to get what's in there, it can be done, but it won't be done in 10 minutes.

I bought my safe for a few main reasons:

• I wanted a bit of peace of mind in case of a fire, and even that's not guaranteed
    • I wanted basic security so most of my guns are secure in the house with people and kids in and out
    • I wanted basic burglar deterrent, so that your average Freddie Felon who breaks in looking for a quick grab can't get in.
    I think I accomplished that. If someone comes in with some time and tools, it's only going to last so long with a motivated thief.

Bolting it down is number one priority...before considering placing any valuables in. Mine are bolted down into the concrete and next to it will be a heavy armoire...filled with scrapbook stuff lol. Maybe I should bolt the armoire down somehow and then glue a granite slab on top of the safes...lol...then when the thieves break in they'll find themselves with a hand full of scrapbooks!

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    So the lesson learned here is this guy went cheap on the safe. The firearms and accessories that he lost were valued at about 40 TIMES what he paid for the safe.

So now even though we know no firearms were lost ;), there is still a good question here: What would a reasonable ratio of safe cost to valuables protected be? 1:1? 1:10? 1:20?

My mediocre mental math looks like most quality safes are 1:5 to 1:10 or smaller, meaning a $4000 safe will hold about $20k to $40k worth of firearms.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I have seen upwards of $30,000 worth of firearms in $400 trash safes. To me it's the same thing as driving drunk or not using birth control. You have to ask yourself if it is worth the risk.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Bolting it down is number one priority...before considering placing any valuables in. Mine are bolted down into the concrete and next to it will be a heavy armoire...filled with scrapbook stuff lol. Maybe I should bolt the armoire down somehow and then glue a granite slab on top of the safes...lol...then when the thieves break in they'll find themselves with a hand full of scrapbooks!
    Better that than the guns!

I've seen the videos where guys go to town on a budget safe by knocking it over and break it open with a couple of prybars - the whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Even if my safe wasn't bolted down, it's 900 lbs empty, and with locking bolts on all 4 sides of the plate steel door, the only way in would be to cut through the thinner metal sides or top with an angle grinder. It is what it is - it's a good safe, but it's not foolproof by any means.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    So now even though we know no firearms were lost ;), there is still a good question here: What would a reasonable ratio of safe cost to valuables protected be? 1:1? 1:10? 1:20?

My mediocre mental math looks like most quality safes are 1:5 to 1:10 or smaller, meaning a $4000 safe will hold about $20k to $40k worth of firearms.

$4000 would be a very nice safe! That should get you a decent AMSEC or a Champion Crown series safe!

Quality safes are worth financing if you have that much worth of guns.
    Why risk $40k to bunch of thus that'll sell them off for few thousand to be used for nefarious purposes.

http://www.championsafe.com/products_crown.html

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    A high dollar jewelers safe is great if you can afford it, but I certainly can't. After 26 years law enforcement experience and probably a couple thousand burglary investigations, my advice is to put thought and money into your first line of defense - exterior home security measures. Most homes are severely lacking. The safe is your last line of defense. Don't ever let them get that far. I'm not saying go cheap on a safe, but I can't tell you how many homes I've been to with a decent safe and a below ground basement door with glass window - not what you want.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    J
    That would be it. I pulled these photos off of a locksmith forum that I belong to - and embellished things a bit in order to make a point. While the safe did not actually contain guns, I was trying to point out how poorly many of the gun safes on the market perform when subjected to forced entry attacks. These are the same garbage containers carried at discount stores that I see constantly being discussed on this forum regarding "who has the lowest price?", as if the only difference between imported trash and a quality container is the price. A lot of these "safes" offer little more protection than a cardboard box and a padlock. Many of you own low-end junk like this and hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call to increase your security. I see similar circumstances all the time- guns, jewelry, cash, family heirlooms, etc....all severely under protected for the sake of saving money. The bottom line is: DON'T BE CHEAP.

I certainly agree, at some point. The sum total of my collection is likely worth less than $1,000 currently and I am a lot more concerned about kids accessing my firearms than I am theft. At some point, yes, I need better than a $100 keyed metal gun locker. But that is a few years away. I can reuse the locker for something else someday, like keeping tools locked up or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom