• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Redhawk action can be smoothed out, to the equal of a Smith. ALOT of work getting it there. I had a blue 5.5” Redhawk I used lotsa years back for Action Pistol and some pins. A very good competitive fellow shooter used to bring people over just to try the action on it. He said it was as good as any Smith he shot.

Back to the Super in 10mm...much more gun than the round needs. I agree an L-frame or GP-100 would be a much nicer platform for the 10. As jimbobborg said in another thread, with full moon clips he could even shoot 40 S&W to reduce ammo costs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Redhawk action can be smoothed out, to the equal of a Smith. ALOT of work getting it there. I had a blue 5.5” Redhawk I used lotsa years back for Action Pistol and some pins. A very good competitive fellow shooter used to bring people over just to try the action on it. He said it was as good as any Smith he shot.

Back to the Super in 10mm...much more gun than the round needs. I agree an L-frame or GP-100 would be a much nicer platform for the 10. As jimbobborg said in another thread, with full moon clips he could even shoot 40 S&W to reduce ammo costs.
    I shot mine in a couple steel matches, loaded "40 long", basically 40S&W brass with 180gr bullets loaded to 10mm OAL with a light load to get to your desired power factor. Not sure if it's the length of the freebore, slop in the moonclips, or a weird dimention thing, but mine isn't as accurate with 40 compared to 10, unlike 38 in a 357 or 44spl in a 44 mag, where there really isn't much of a change in group sizes. Seems a few people notice the same thing, doesn't normally matter much till you compare loads and targets, and PSA loves to put tiny plates out far, so every little bit helps. 40 loaded long improves the groups to basically equal 10, and they load and extract easier than 10 while brass is a lot cheaper.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    As other's have said, I'm not big on wheel guns but in a gp100 I'd buy it in a second. I'm not sure why but that combo sings to me. Maybe ruger will expand on it seeing as how the 10mm maker seems to be expanding lately.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted above this isn't Ruger's first 10mm revolver. The distributor exclusive 10mm/ .38-40 convertible remains a Cult favorite .

I'm a fan of 10mm ctg .

But this is a mismatch . A Super Red is far oversized for a .44mag. A Super Red needs to be equipped with wheeis . The 10mm Super Red could be interesting as a platform for off the wall .40 wildcats with near cylinder length OAL . But I suspect most of them will be bought on speculation of collector value 5 years after they're discontinued.

The Blackhawk is already an excellent platform for 10mm . The GP100 5shot .44spl could easily be made as a 5 ad hot 10mm .

Statement #1 - All else equal , a S&W with best practices tuning and trigger work will be smoother and lighter than similar state of art Ruger DA .

Statement #2 - A competently tuned Ruger will be equivalent to above average S&W, and good enough to be shot to potential by 99.9% users .

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Ruger has already introduced the 10mm. Buckeye 38/40-10mm.. I own one unfired.

ruger 10mm.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    As other's have said, I'm not big on wheel guns but in a gp100 I'd buy it in a second. I'm not sure why but that combo sings to me. Maybe ruger will expand on it seeing as how the 10mm maker seems to be expanding lately.

There are enough people buying .357 GP100s to keep one smith backlogged for months to convert them to 10mm. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced used GP100 to get this done.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I shot mine in a couple steel matches, loaded "40 long", basically 40S&W brass with 180gr bullets loaded to 10mm OAL with a light load to get to your desired power factor. Not sure if it's the length of the freebore, slop in the moonclips, or a weird dimention thing, but mine isn't as accurate with 40 compared to 10, unlike 38 in a 357 or 44spl in a 44 mag, where there really isn't much of a change in group sizes. Seems a few people notice the same thing, doesn't normally matter much till you compare loads and targets, and PSA loves to put tiny plates out far, so every little bit helps. 40 loaded long improves the groups to basically equal 10, and they load and extract easier than 10 while brass is a lot cheaper.

Good info from the hand of experience. Thanks.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Meh....I'll leave it for the 10mm fans. 44 Mag is far superior in power and 357 mag approaches it and and even matches it in some loads although I do suspect the ballistics charts I looked at may understate the 10 somewhat since most semis are no more than 5" or thereabouts and many revolvers are 6 or 6-1/2"....or even longer. The charts didn't specify test barrel lengths. Besides, the only round I have ever gotten a kick out of using moon clips is the 45 acp shooting from a Smith model of 1955. Even for that round from that firearm, loading and unloading moon clips detracts some from the enjoyment of shooting it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have always described the 10mm as " equivalent to .41Mag Silvertips, from a duty sized semi auto " . IF You are using a Revolver platform , you can cut out the middle step, and just use .41Mag .

(That description wasn't a slam. I like .41 SilverTips & equivalent loads , they exactly fill an important & useful niche. Having a bottomfeeder equivalent is a valuable additional option.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom