• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've been meaning to post this one up for a while, but only finally had a chance to take the requisite photos. This is the pictorial thread of how I went about putting lights and lasers on all my "modern semi-auto non-long-range" rifles. I don't show every single gun, but I tried to take enough pictures to illustrate my thought process and some options I tried. I am not a combat vet or a pro, so take whatever grain of salt you feel like, and feel free to leave constructive comments. Sorry that the photos suck, I don't have a good picture-taking environment.

My primary goal was cost/performance. It is stupidly easy to say "just put the latest Surefire/Elzetta on it". There is some truth to that, but on the other hand, if you've got a bunch of rifles, that's a rather cost prohibitive route to go. I wanted to explore what kind of mileage I could get out of older but combat-tested lights.

First, here's what I started this project with (ie, what I already owned):
    IMG_1572.jpg

That's an old-style Surefire G3 with Xenon bulb, a Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser with some sort of LED, and an original generation Inforce WML. All of these are respectable lights, albeit with their own quirks.

The Inforce WML went on my Saiga 12 at 3PM, on my Chaos tri-rail:
    IMG_1574.jpg

I was more of a fan of this light in the past than I am now; I like strobe (even if it has gone out of style) and having a constant-on option, but the user interface is just too complicated for what I'd want on a gun. I also don't particularly like how momentary on requires you to hold down for more than a second the first time. There are also some concerns about the rail mount cracking, albeit I have not seen this. There is a touch of barrel shadow, but this is a 13" barrel gun, so it's pretty mild. Plus side, I found it very easy to use while maintaining a good grip:
    IMG_1575.jpg

It'll do for now. I'll probably be rethinking it in the future, or maybe swapping it to a gun where I don't expect to be using it in a momentary-on fashion.

My next move was to get some more lights. I looked on eBay, and found some surplus Xenon Surefire M961s for about $30 a piece. The Surefire M961 tends to be on the cheap side because it doesn't use P60 drop-ins and it's on the heavy side; if you want to upgrade it to an LED, you need to buy a jail-break tool ($15) and then use Nailbender/Customlites drop-ins. This light works for my purposes; YMMV.

I also found a bulk pack of Pentagonlight PX2s. Pentagonlights got a ton of use in the early days of OIF, and Surefire felt threatened enough to sue them out of existence. The PX2 isn't quite as good as the X2 - the tailcap and part of the head are polymer - but it's compatible with P60 drop-ins and aluminum Solarforce tailcaps. It also has this nice feature:
    IMG_1603.jpg

The head is isolated from the batteries. This means your batteries aren't slamming into the head on recoil and vice versa. I am generally not a fan of using hand-held lights on rifles, but it seems like Pentagonlight did their homework on this one.

Here's an upgraded PX2 running on my Nitescout A3 SBR. It's using a Solarforce tailcap and P60 drop-in:
    IMG_1576.jpg

I've got an angled Colt-branded Lasermax VFG on there, basically forcing a beer can grip. I am not a fan of VFGs in general, especially not the ones with a grip angle that encourage you to beer-can it. OTOH, I got a cheap-but-reliable nav-light/laser out of it, and I will say that a VFG makes a remote-less light at 4:30 REALLY easy to use:
    IMG_1577.jpg

Speaking of SBRs, let's take a look at my pseudo-Honey Badger gun with 8.25" barrel, which has a Pentagonlight MX2 on it: IMG_1581.jpg

The MX2 is a pretty slick light/laser combo. The light uses a remote, the laser has a thumbswitch. I did not bother trying to zero the laser - it's enough for me to know that it's running at roughly 4:30 and to adjust for POI accordingly. I am given to understand this is a common practice. The barrel is short enough that there's no barrel shadow.

Routing remote cords has been something of an experience. I've been using zip ties and the Manta wire management system. I really cannot recommend the Manta system highly enough - the pocket switch holder holds the remote firmly in place and avoids light NDs, and the clips keep your cables in place quite nicely:
    IMG_1583.jpg

You'll notice in this particular photo that I should really be trimming the Manta switch holder - it's a little large for the Pentagonlight remote switch, which could be a problem if you're pressing down the front of it rather than towards the cable end.

However, on some guns, there's not a lot of good options. Here's an M961 on my Sig 556R:
    IMG_1578.jpg

You're basically reduced to zip-tying it across a top vent hole and hoping for the best on the other end:
    IMG_1580.jpg

It's not the sort of setup that inspires a lot of confidence. However, I should point out that the M961 / XM00 tailcap has both a momentary/constant button and a remote interface - if your remote goes down, you should be able to use the button instead. I'm rather surprised that more people haven't demand this feature out of the current generation Surefire Scout lights, given the current skepticism of remotes.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Now, another thing you will notice is that those Surefire remote switches are outrageously expensive for something that is reputed to break if given a cross look or a harsh word. There are clones that work in real Surefire lights from Element and Night Evolution that cost literally 1/4-1/5 the price. Here's the Night Evolution clone of the SRS-07 switch on my IDF-style carbine:
    IMG_1588.jpg

If I didn't have that XM00 tailcap, I'm not sure I would have chanced it. I guess time will tell if it's durable enough. I will say that, functionally, it seems to do exactly what the SRS07 does - momentary on plus a constant on/off button. That said, if I knew how well the Manta pockets worked, I doubt I would have bothered with this, and would have just spent the extra $15 on an STS07+Manta setup. Still, experiments are always interesting.

My Special Weapons SP-10 was "interesting" to set up:
    IMG_1589.jpg

The rails on this gun stick WAY the hell out. It's acceptable for a flashlight mount (pictured is the FAB Defense multi-position mount, which is mostly usable), but the switch is just not going to be well-placed if you try to rail mount it. Thus, we broke out everyone's favorite sticking solution... velcro:
    IMG_1593.jpg

I hate velcro for this. It never seems to glue itself to the remote, even when I clean it first. I wound up super-gluing this one to the velcro strip, so I guess it's now going to be velcro-mounted from now on. The remote switch+tailcap is the Primary Arms Ultimate Weaponlight Gen II one. Despite the appearance, it does NOT have a constant-on/off button on the switch. Why did they bother with the stupid extra button, then? I have no idea. I do like how the cable is relatively thick and they've taken precautions at the tailcap to reinforce it there.

Anyways, I positioned the switch such that it wouldn't be in the way of my usual hold, but it would be easy to modify the hold such that I could use the switch.

Next gun up is my Glock-in-a-stock (pre-2013):
    IMG_1594.jpg

It's running a Lasermax laser (backup to the Holosun) w/ a remote and an upgraded PX2 with aluminum push-button tailcap. I am not entirely pleased with the current setup:
    IMG_1595.jpg

I can modify my grip to use the light or the laser, but not both simultaneously (at least not without turning the light constantly-on). This may just be the nature of the beast, and it's not like this is a terribly serious gun, but it feels like there should be a better way of doing this. VFG sleeve for a remote light switch is a possibility, but I feel like that's just asking for light NDs. Mount is a multi-position Solarforce, and IMHO, it sucks. Very shaky. Don't buy it. It's definitely better than the $2 Olight offset special on Amazon, but that's about all I can say for it.

Let's talk about Magpul now. I've got both MOE and MLOK handguards. First, MOE handguard on my 870, with a Surefire M961:
    IMG_1596.jpg

It's mounted on a Magpul cantilever rail section. This honestly doesn't fit quite right, so I am going to probably revert to a standard rail section. Routing the cable was also weirdly tricky. However, let me give some kudos to Magpul: their light switch holders are both cheap and terrific:
    IMG_1599.jpg

Yes, I mounted the switch "backwards". But it really worked best this way on this particular gun, so no regrets.

Now, MLOK. This is another PCC. (I realize I'm showing a lot of PCCs, but that's just because a lot of the intermediate/full caliber solutions were boring.):
    IMG_1600.jpg

It's not often that I say this about UTG products, but their MLOK light mount is very well-designed, and quite cheap for what it is. I used Magpul's switch mount and a bunch of zip ties for cable management:
    IMG_1601.jpg

The only quibble I have with the Magpul switch mounts is that they're pretty easy to hit by accident - you need to give some thought as to where you mount them, and make sure hold takes it into account.

Finally, bonus points - I found an Insight M4 Pro for my SW9VE:
    IMG_1602.jpg

I can't even imagine a holster this would fit in, but it's got the weird native interface, so, uh... victory? I like that the Insight has a lock out switch on it, albeit I wouldn't want to have that on in anything other than a safe storage situation.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A few final thoughts... maybe more as I think of them.

The best offset 1" mount I've run across is the Elzetta. It is slightly more expensive than the VTAC, but it is just phenomenal in terms of adjustment and strength.

Multi-position light mounts are basically stupid, or at least I have never found a use case for them other than making it slightly easier to position the light on your gun.

Barrel shadow seems highly over-rated, but it may be because I love SBRs and they don't have much.

Bullpups are hard to mount lights on. The AUG is surprisingly not bad - you can reach an M961's button with your primary (not support!) hand's thumb, but I don't see how you're able to use a remote switch or momentary-on button on a Tavor.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Constructive criticism. For a person that wants lights on a bunch of rifles and isn't facing department/military funding my standard solution to offer is 2 VLTOR QD 1" light mounts and the Streamlight/Surefire 2 cell (123) compatible light(s) of their choice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I get the whole two is one, one is none idea, but I very rarely see it being practiced. Can you share any pictures? How do you hold the gun in order to access both lights?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I get the whole two is one, one is none idea, but I very rarely see it being practiced. Can you share any pictures? How do you hold the gun in order to access both lights?

No you're misunderstanding me. The QD light mount holds 1 light on one gun. (We'll call that one the primary or bedside gun) and then you have a light floating around that attaches in less than 3 seconds to anything that has a pic rail (but not most handguns). That way instead of buying a box of used lights you buy 2 new good lights and can move them around as needed/wanted.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I guess that my experience from this experiment is that different guns require very different setups to run optimally. I'm not sure I could really do what your suggesting with a collection as diverse as mine.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I guess that my experience from this experiment is that different guns require very different setups to run optimally. I'm not sure I could really do what your suggesting with a collection as diverse as mine.

1 mount per host, couple lamps to swap between hosts as the fancy strikes you. I have a Protech lamp / laser on my Gamo .177 for busting rats at night and it's OK but I've had two sets of batteries fail and corrode the insides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom