• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Looking to build a new rifle that will be used for 500yd to 1 mile shooting distances.. I am not looking to spend 10,000 on this gun and want to use some of the parts I already have.

Action: have a savage 10 and rem 700 short action to start with ... which to use and why. I will be re barreling so what caliber would you pick?
    Optics: I have ordered the Vortex razor gen Ii with the adm qd mount
    Trigger: I have the rifle basix on the savage and jewel hvr in the 700
    Scope base: my adm has 20moa.... should I get a 0 MOA base or a 20 Moa base
    Stock: I have the 700 in an aics chassis an the savage in a mdt lss chassis

Help me decide! I like the idea of using the savage but I know the 700 has more of a market for parts and gunsmiths

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would use the 700, industry standard it seems. 6.5 Creedmore is all the rage these days and does have some things going for it. Or the newer 6mm maybe?

I think I would go with .308 since I simply like that round and am old school.

Think I would get the 20MOA mount for the ranges you're looking at doing regardless of the caliber choice.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I would use the 700, industry standard it seems. 6.5 Creedmore is all the rage these days and does have some things going for it. Or the newer 6mm maybe?

I think I would go with .308 since I simply like that round and am old school.

Think I would get the 20MOA mount for the ranges you're looking at doing regardless of the caliber choice.

20 moa mount base with the 20 moa in the scope rings?

Also currently my savage is a 6.5 and my 700 is a 308. I love the 308 but the 6.5 is truly amazing at the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I don't have a Savage 10, but I really like my Remington 700's. For that kind of range I think I'd be looking at either .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag. Personally, I think I'd avoid the Lapua because of ammo cost. I have a .300, but I don't have any place I can try at that distance.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I don't have a Savage 10, but I really like my Remington 700's. For that kind of range I think I'd be looking at either .300 Win Mag or .338 Win Mag. Personally, I think I'd avoid the Lapua because of ammo cost. I have a .300, but I don't have any place I can try at that distance.

I have a savage 110 in 300wm and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    6.5cm is a great round if you don't reload as there are some pretty good match choices at somewhat reasonable prices. i will tell you from my experience that hits out around 1k with 140's are not as easy to spot as with 308 175's. i know you have some short actions, but if you're really looking at a mile i'd go 300 win mag which is generally the hottest caliber allowed at precision matches. a nice big heavy bullet helps calling hits.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Before building such a rifle, I think it would be a worthwhile investment to purchase and read Litz's Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting, if you have not already. I think it'll help you select your cartridge and get you going in the right direction.

phipp13

May 20, 2011
    Point Lookout MD
    I just bought a 110 FCP-SR from the Savage Custom Shop in 6.5x284 Norma 26" fluted heavy barrel. Check the ballistics it outperforms a .300 Win Mag out at 1000 yds. Idk about a mile though. I use SMK 142'S BC is .626@ 2850 fps and above .581 @ 2050 and below. very accurate round. check it out @ Sierra. good luck Phipp

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom