• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vc1911

Jan 17, 2010
    OC
    Hello friends,
    I'd like to try a match but i don't want to waste anybodys time, are there different levels to compete beginner/intermediate/expert? Should I just show up and shoot at my own pace?
    I'm anxious to give a try but I want to be respectful to those that are competing seriously. What do you think?

also are there any 3gun shoots coming up in our area?

vc

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I did my first 3-Gun match last year with no competition experience under my belt. Just go and have fun. The courses are timed, so you can't blow 20 minutes going through one, and the ones I've been to have been newb friendly. Just run what you brung, and most of the folks will help. Just don't act like you're Jerry Miculek when you show up and you'll be fine.

Jim

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Your best bet is to show up at a match and watch. This will set your expectations and you will get to see how all the gear is used. In my experience, most shooters are glad to talk about their gear and set up, this can save you a lot of time and money and give you a head start on the learning curve.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just show up and shoot- You will have a blast. I believe Summit Point is having one the last weekend of the month.

All stages have a max time, so they won't let you take too long in attempting a stage.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is what I did too. Just go and shoot the match. Have fun and learn what you can for the next match. :party29: While watching the match helps some it doesn't allow you to see the things you need to work on if you aren't doing them or how your set up is/isn't working. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You got that right! I've found four suspect magazines and have ditched one of my carbines and relegated it to hunting due to unreliability.

I think I'll be switching back and forth between Heavy Metal and Open, just for fun.

Jim

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You gotta start somewhere. Might as well jump right in. Post up your gear and run it by those of us who shoot 3-gun and we can help you get started in the right direction.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I did one of these at AAFG, had a great time. Some great people shooting at AAFG too.

http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/matches.htm

Three Gun Matches
    We have adapted the multigun match format to the constraints of our action pistol range. These are not IDPA matches nor USPSA three gun matches, but they are a lot of fun! Our three gun matches are typically three stages, using a combination of IDPA and steel targets, and are scored using the IDPA Vickers method. Reloads are on the clock. Slings are not required for long guns. An IDPA legal concealment garment is required.

Required equipment:

Rifle must be centerfire pistol caliber or .22 Long Rifle, with at least three detachable magazines. Magazine capacity must be 10 or more rounds.
    Shotgun must be 12 or 20 gauge with a minimum capacity of 5 rounds. Only lead birdshot size 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 or 9 may be used.
    Pistol must be IDPA legal with a minimum of three 3 magazines or speed loaders, an IDPA legal holster, and IDPA legal ammo carriers.
    All firearms must be cased upon arrival at the range and remain cased until after the range safety briefing.

An estimated round count will be provided prior to each match. For a typical multigun match at AAFG, bring 100 rounds for the rifle, 25 rounds for the shotgun, and 50 rounds for the pistol.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I did one of these at AAFG, had a great time. Some great people shooting at AAFG too.

http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/matches.htm

Three Gun Matches
    We have adapted the multigun match format to the constraints of our action pistol range. These are not IDPA matches nor USPSA three gun matches, but they are a lot of fun! Our three gun matches are typically three stages, using a combination of IDPA and steel targets, and are scored using the IDPA Vickers method. Reloads are on the clock. Slings are not required for long guns. An IDPA legal concealment garment is required.

Required equipment:

Rifle must be centerfire pistol caliber or .22 Long Rifle, with at least three detachable magazines. Magazine capacity must be 10 or more rounds.
    Shotgun must be 12 or 20 gauge with a minimum capacity of 5 rounds. Only lead birdshot size 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 or 9 may be used.
    Pistol must be IDPA legal with a minimum of three 3 magazines or speed loaders, an IDPA legal holster, and IDPA legal ammo carriers.
    All firearms must be cased upon arrival at the range and remain cased until after the range safety briefing.

An estimated round count will be provided prior to each match. For a typical multigun match at AAFG, bring 100 rounds for the rifle, 25 rounds for the shotgun, and 50 rounds for the pistol.

Sounds like fun but the rimfire and pistol caliber rifle only would force me to build another rifle just for that match.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Sounds like fun but the rimfire and pistol caliber rifle only would force me to build another rifle just for that match.

That would actually be fun in my case, I have a 7.62x25 upper for my AR that would work well for that.

Mark

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    That would actually be fun in my case, I have a 7.62x25 upper for my AR that would work well for that.

Mark

Yup looks like you are set. Unless they are worried it will hurt their steel. I'm not even sure they shoot steel but thats a hot pistol round.

vc1911

Jan 17, 2010
    OC
    RussD
    I think I pretty much have all of the guns not really sure what other gear is needed...?

Springfield 1911 with factory comp, 2-7rd, 2-8rd, 2-10rd mags

Remington 1100 12g with 8rd ext, 1 full choke barrel, 1 imp cyl barrel

Bushy AR 16" with Millett DMS

also
    I have a glock 27 that I shoot much better that the 1911 (for some reason).

glasses
    muffs
    holster
    What else?
    How much do they cost usually?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some matches require a sling, some don't. Do you have a compensator on your 1911? That puts you into the Open Division. Use the Glock. Get a good holster for it, one that has some kind of passive retention. The shotgun and the rifle are GTG.

And I pay $15-$20 per match, plus ammo. Depends on the match.

Jim

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    RussD
    I think I pretty much have all of the guns not really sure what other gear is needed...?

Springfield 1911 with factory comp, 2-7rd, 2-8rd, 2-10rd mags

Remington 1100 12g with 8rd ext, 1 full choke barrel, 1 imp cyl barrel

Bushy AR 16" with Millett DMS

also
    I have a glock 27 that I shoot much better that the 1911 (for some reason).

glasses
    muffs
    holster
    What else?
    How much do they cost usually?

You will need some way to carry your mags and shotshells. For rifle mags I like the Blade Tech. Pistol mags Fobus is a cheaper alternative to the Blade Tech, either will work. For Shotshells, get the California Competition holder.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm a fat ass so my rig is somewhat built around what works best for me. I use a war belt type rig with suspenders to keep everything accessible yet comfortable and stable. You absolutely need to be able to carry large quantities of shotshells. I'm running the California Comp Works 4 and 6 rounders with 2 pistol mag holders and two rifle mag holders. All of my gear is Molle to run off the Molle war belt. I'm also running a Fobus retention pistol holder that works pretty well, but was really a compromise because it was the only one I could find with Molle attachment on short notice. It's actually worked out well so it hasn't been replaced yet. Glasses and muffs of some type are definitely required and can be whatever style you prefer. just don't do what I did at York and start running a stage with the glasses sitting on top of your head and not in front of your eyes.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've gotten to a point where I run everything off of my belt, and I'm a fat guy, too. I have a bladetech holster, two bladetech pistol mag holders (total = 4 mags), 5 - six rounder cali competition shotshell caddies, and a two-magazine-stacked bladetech mag pouch for rifle. I have all of this hanging on a Desantis belt.

Don't worry about slings. Every 3 gun I've done has had a place to ground your rifle/shotgun (some require it.)

With the 1911 or the glock, it sounds like you've got the basic equipment to get started.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Just an Update for those looking. The Thurmont Conservation Sportsman Club has started 3 gun matches this year. Its been a big hit I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom