• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    People. You need to tell me how dry firing helps someone get used to recoil/and or taming it? Pretty sure that's what the OP is about. There is ZERO recoil in dry firing. Dry firing helps someone keep "front sight and smooth trigger". If someone cannot get used to the recoil and learn how to ignore the blast and "work with it" i.e... resetting the sight picture after each shot, that trigger work could be the best in the world, it ain't helping someone to not cringe when the gun goes off.

Knowing how your grip works with the recoil allows you to get back on the "bullseye" and your good, smooth trigger control keeps the sight there.

I've caught myself flinching during dry fire. It is helpful just in terms of realizing you are in-fact doing it. I've done the drill where somebody hands you pistol and you are not sure of the top round is live or snap cap and caught myself jerking the living sh*t out of it. Until pointed out, you don't always know what you are really doing.

ETA: I guess I would say it is helpful in identifying/confirming the problem, but not so much in solving it.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you own a revolver, take three rounds and randomly place them in the cylinder. Close your eyes, spin the cylinder, and close the cylinder. No peeking as to where the cartridges are.

Cock the hammer. Take aim. And pull the trigger. You'll notice your flinch real fast when the hammer drops and there's no Ka-Boom.

Keep practicing this way until you are no longer flinching. May not be for everyone, but it helped me with some really stout .45 Long Colt hand loads.

Good luck. Cuzz a bad flinch is a real be-atch.

That doesn't really work for me. 45 colt is such a great round, can be loaded pretty weak or nearly as powerful as a .44 mag. I can shoot them all day out of my SRH Alaskan. I love shooting big bore revolvers even though I don't it well and can't afford the cost of ammo to get real good at it.

After about the second full cylinder of .454, I've had about enough.

I guess it really depends on the particular load. The 225 grain magtech hollowpoints are alright but the psychological effect of how loud a 360 grain hardcase lead round is starts to wear on me. I'll catch myself flinching real bad.

The recoil is OK, it's really the feeling you get in your entire arm from all that power.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Double up on ears and lots and lots of dry fire. If you shoot with a buddy, have him load your mags and occasionally stick in a snapcap to keep you honest.
    Snap caps and buddy loading does not help someone get used to recoil. It just shows them that they still anticipate.
    The same wrong suggestions over and over will not help this guy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    okay, just get used to recoil and flinch, heel, ride the recoil, frame the shot, milk the grip while you shoot. Half of those are habits acquired because of reaction to recoil. The idea of dry firing is to build a good trigger pull (whole foundation really) so when recoil does strike, it is a minimized effect on the shot. Getting familiar with the level of recoil should take one magazine, tops. The shooter then needs to manage recoil, which should be done before applying pressure to the trigger.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I've caught myself flinching during dry fire. It is helpful just in terms of realizing you are in-fact doing it. I've done the drill where somebody hands you pistol and you are not sure of the top round is live or snap cap and caught myself jerking the living sh*t out of it. Until pointed out, you don't always know what you are really doing.

ETA: I guess I would say it is helpful in identifying/confirming the problem, but not so much in solving it.

Work-out your flinch with a 22 rimfire.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    How much do you want to get better?? I'll pile on with dry fire, do it a lot. I would say 15 mins a day 3 days a week minimum. Want to get real bump it up to 15-20 am and another 15-20 pm, 5-7 days a week. Hit the range once a week for some live fire. At this point you'd be putting in thousands of quality reps with out firing a shot, or spending a dime.

Something to consider, maybe your over aiming. I'm not a bullseye shooter by any means, just to get that out of the way. But you can't hold the gun perfectly still, it's gong to be wobbling around. Some times people will get that perfect sight picture while they are wobbling and try snatch the trigger before they loose it. Try not to focus to much on the perfect sight picture, and focus more on that perfect trigger press. Does that make sense.

Once you have that down stop shooting bullseye and come have fun at a USPSA match :)

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Oh, and be honest with yourself during dryfire. Know where your "shots" went. Learn to call them. Cheating, only cheats yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom