• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    New Product "AR Gas Vent" Price Update...

I am finally ready to let this out of the bag. This is something I have been working on the past 7 months. I have secured all the legal paths needed to protect the product and myself.

I plan on listing this on other forums as well as alternative outlets. You guys are the first to see it. SO, without further delay....

I purchased a YHM 5.56 SS Phantom suppressor from White Marsh Arms. I intended to mainly use it on my 10.5 SBR, but purchased an extra mount for my 16" gun. My first time out with the suppressor was on the 10.5. The first thing I noticed was the blast of hot foul gas directed up my nose and eyes. (I tend to shoot nose to charging handle..) I finished off the mag and thought I may have to adjust my cheekweld to help eliminate the "gas face" but I wasnt comfortable with any changes I tried. I then put the suppressor on my 16" AR and the blast was even worse due to the carbine length gas system on the 16" barrel, more dwell time=more gas. A suppressor amplifies this due to increased back pressure.

After spending my hard earn money on a suppressor that I waited 3 months for, paid a fair price for and was excited to use I wasn't sure I enjoyed shooting with it on. I was a little dismayed and thought there is no way that I am going to drop $85 for a GasBuster charging handle. There has to be a better and cheaper way...

It is called the "AR Gas Vent"(patent pending). It replaces the forward assist in an AR15 and utilizes the channel the FA sits in to vent gas at that location and help reduce the amount of gas escaping near the charging handle resulting in "gas face".

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-4.jpg

The first thing I expect to hear is "but you are removing a function of the rifle!". Though this true, I have NEVER used the FA and have posed the very same question to many shooters. The results were mixed but the findings were about 70-80% have never used the FA either. (I excluded military training in my query). That is a pretty high number which helped me make the decision to move forward my idea. If you are a shooter who believes that a FA is an essential part of the AR design then this isnt for you. If you are a shooter that would like to remedy a common problem with regards to shooting suppressed than I have the solution to that problem. A solution that also is at a lower price point.

In testing, I compared the vent to a GasBuster. All parties that were involved with testing stated that the vent worked at least as good if not better than the $85 GasBuster. I personally didnt think the GasBuster worked all that well which made me really glad I came up with this idea. One of the beta testers has MANY suppressed firearms and is very experienced with shooting different types of rifle platforms suppressed in variying calibers. I consider him to be an unofficial "expert" with suppressed firearms which is why I recruited him for his unbiased opinion. Actually, the idea may have died right then and there if I didnt receive good feedback. The AR Gas Vent does help eliminate the "gas face" and will make shooting a suppressed AR more enjoyable.

The AR Gas Vent finish is a Hardcoat IAW Mil-A-8625, Type III, Class-2 finish. I have a finisher that does AR parts for contract do the finishing on these and they turned out great! The vent itself is machined out of 7075 aluminum.

The vent is installed just as you would install a forward assist but easier since you dont have a spring to contend with. It slides right in with the pin indent stopping at the correct depth even with the pin hole in the receiver. Just line up the indent with the hole and punch the pin in and you are done.

Now for the price. I couldnt believe how much time, money, thought, and perseverance goes into something like this. It became quite taxing at times.
    With that said, I am setting the ransom @ $40 per unit. Please believe me when I say I will not become rich off of these. Getting some of my money back would be nice! I do have a partner in this and we mulled over what to charge and this is the fairest number to both us and the enthusiast.

If anyone is interested in buying one just PM me and I will get one out to you.

Thats about it. I welcome any and all feedback positive and negative.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this, now get out there and shoot!

Last edited:

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    How does the person fair shooting on your right?

Does the smoke blow a few feet over?

It doesnt blow out with as much force as it does at the ejection port. It simply is a vent to lessen the pressure on the upper to help eliminate the blast up the nose and into the eyes.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I'm left handed.....flash face????

I shoot right handed but I did try it left handed and didnt notice any blast from the vent to the face. The vent is angled forward a bit so gas flows outward and forward.

I am also working on an adjustable version. I had one made and its in a rifle now. Still working out the specifics.

HarEngSer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 4, 2008
    Bel Air
    Check to see if you can patent the process to modify an existing port to work in this way. I'm not overly familiar with the FA so i'm not sure if it's possible. Other wise some groups might try to just sell the service of modifying existing ports.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Check to see if you can patent the process to modify an existing port to work in this way. I'm not overly familiar with the FA so i'm not sure if it's possible. Other wise some groups might try to just sell the service of modifying existing ports.

I guess you mean a modify an existing forward assist? I tried it, it was my first prototype. I didnt work to well. You need a direct opening for the gas to vent.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Looks cool but my only thing is for the one's that shoot left handed. But you said you're working on improving it so it's good stuff man. Hope it works out well for you. These little things are the stuff that keeps America going.

Wait... You're an evil patent holder now, you will have the means to be fully independent and become and evil business owner. You need to repent your evil ways.

We need to squash this independent thinking if America will survive. Kool-Aid please.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i have a question that was the first thing to come to mind you may put in a Q&A for this item...if your FA isn't going to work, why pay $55 to put this in the hole instead of just removing the old FA for free and calling it a day? also, if that's the case, would you be able to machine a temporary dust cover plug to put in the FA hole held in with rubber o-rings or somethign that you could just yank out when you want to shoot with a suppressor?

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    i have a question that was the first thing to come to mind you may put in a Q&A for this item...if your FA isn't going to work, why pay $55 to put this in the hole instead of just removing the old FA for free and calling it a day? also, if that's the case, would you be able to machine a temporary dust cover plug to put in the FA hole held in with rubber o-rings or somethign that you could just yank out when you want to shoot with a suppressor?

You can remove the FA and leave the hole. The only thing is that it would vent back at you, not to the side and forward. I tried it.

I have thought of a little "plug" for the port. Havent got that far yet. I was thinking of something that tethered to the vent so to speak. I like the way you think.

ETA: A Q+A is in the works.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I had a brief moment to take a vid from my blackberry. I have been super busy with work and everything else so this will have to suffice for the time being. Better pics and vid forthcoming. Hard to see any blast but you can see smoke emitting from the port.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9nnhhveSLs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom