• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I know this particular type of ammo is currently rare and hard to find. But why would it be so expensive and this site only has two boxes? Almost every site I have looked has been out of stock. It usually sells for just over $400 a case of 900 rounds. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Federal 899.jpg
      Federal 899.jpg
      109.6 KB · Views: 1,196

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A lot of these mass marketers have computer controlled inventory and algorithms that automatically set prices according to supply and demand. No real people involved. Cheaper than Dirt had this and some of their pricing was down right hilarious after Sandy Hook.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    ....... computer controlled inventory and algorithms that automatically set prices according to supply and demand.....

That would explain it, Arcamm.

And I see the American Eagle (which is the cheaper, lower line of Federal) listed on Brownells, but it's even out of stock.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, that is exactly the ammo what I was asking about. And they, like almost all places, are out of stock.

Sorry, I think it was in stock when I looked. If another brand is OK there is this (but I think not on the stripper clips).

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prv...-55-gr-fmj-bulk-1000-rounds-pp52-p-59063.aspx
    59063.jpg

$299.50
    Free Shipping!
    AVAILABLE : 99+ in stock

or this one I found via ammoseek.com

http://www.unammo.com/AmmoSearch.aspx?Cal=5.56x45mm NATO
    5.56 Lake City M193 55 Grain in strippers 420 Ammo Cans
    556M193Federal420rdCan.JPG

5.56 M193 This is New Production 55 Grain Lake City Milspec ammunition LC 17 with NATO cross Head-Stamp. They are packed in stripper clips with 3 stripper clips to a 30 rd box with 14 boxes packed inside a M19A1 30 cal can. Lake City Packed for Federal. 420 Total Rounds 42 stripper clips and 2 loading guides per can.

$145.00

***165.00 shipped to lower 48 states*** In-Stock: 10+

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    You actually answered your own question

--rare, hard to find
    --others sell it cheaper but are Out of Stock

It's called Supply and Demand. When something is readily available it's cheaper. When it's rare it's not. Econ 101.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You actually answered your own question

--rare, hard to find
    --others sell it cheaper but are Out of Stock

It's called Supply and Demand. When something is readily available it's cheaper. When it's rare it's not. Econ 101.

But this isn't that specialty item where you can only buy it and only this product. There are so many alternatives. To try to sell this for that kind of money is just thievery.

YMMV

Ports

Aug 11, 2014
    Don’t get BOTACH’d!

RUN!

They are rip off artists. They advertise stuff they don’t have, take your $$$ and if you’re lucky you will see the item in a couple years. I know guys who are into HKs like I am and they got taken hard by these guys.

You can find this Ammo cheap almost anywhere. Try Cheaper Than Dirt, SGA Ammo, Midway, etc... . Just delete the link on your computer for Botach.

For my last training class I bought 2500 rounds of this @ about $0.26/round. And no, there was no bulk discount except for that placed on an Ammo can full or it may have been 480 rounds (IIRC).

Hell, you can find specialty RUAG ammo in 63gr, 69gr Target and STYX, etc... for cheaper than Botach price on Federal 55gr. My HK MR556’s love RUAG. My SBR shoots 1” groups at 100yrds with their 63gr regular and 1 1/4” groups with their 63gr SBR version (its made specifically for the HK G36C). I can’t wait to see what my 20” MR556 does with it. But I need to take it out further than the 200yrds that AGC has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Don’t get BOTACH’d!

RUN!

They are rip off artists. They advertise stuff they don’t have, take your $$$ and if you’re lucky you will see the item in a couple years. I know guys who are into HKs like I am and they got taken hard by these guys.

You can find this Ammo cheap almost anywhere. Try Cheaper Than Dirt, SGA Ammo, Midway, etc... . Just delete the link on your computer for Botach.

For my last training class I bought 2500 rounds of this @ about $0.26/round. And no, there was no bulk discount except for that placed on an Ammo can full or it may have been 480 rounds (IIRC).

Hell, you can find specialty RUAG ammo in 63gr, 69gr Target and STYX, etc... for cheaper than Botach price on Federal 55gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOTACH was my first thought too. Never been ripped off by them but their pries are usually on the high end of the spectrum. I have a $200 gift card been holding onto for 7 months now waiting for something, anything, to go on sale just so I can use it up. Not even any BF deals :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom