• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    If there really is such a thing as Burn-Out, I'm sure they're feeling it.

I'm sure they are too. No one can go full steam on a tedious task like that indefinitely. I can believe that MSP pushed hard initially, thinking it was going to be a short-lived spike in applications, then slowed down some when the applications kept coming at a high rate. But processing almost 5000 fewer applications in May than they did in December is more of a difference than I think can be attributed to worker burnout.

spacer75

Amateur Rocket Scientist
    Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for posting the video. At least the backlog is getting some media attention.

Seemed fairly balanced, except I dislike it when they refer to them as "weapons" as opposed to "firearms" or just plain "guns". :sad20:

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Pulling numbers out of nowhere here:

Total NICS checks in February 50,000
    Number of those run by MSP: 10,000
    Number of those run by FFL: 40,000

Total NICS checks in May 40,000
    Number of those run by MSP: 12,000
    Number of those run by FFL: 28,000

I don't see how the number of NICS checks says anything about what MSP is/isn't doing. Do we have numbers of total NICS checks coming from MSP?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Pulling numbers out of nowhere here:

Total NICS checks in February 50,000
    Number of those run by MSP: 10,000
    Number of those run by FFL: 40,000

Total NICS checks in May 40,000
    Number of those run by MSP: 12,000
    Number of those run by FFL: 28,000

I don't see how the number of NICS checks says anything about what MSP is/isn't doing. Do we have numbers of total NICS checks coming from MSP?

Yes, IO Sgt Black should have been ready ... he was clearly not prepared for class

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Of course the number of NICS checks have gone down, the MSP has slowed the number of
    NDs down so the FFL CAN'T do the required NICS checks. One thing that bothers me, I was in one of our IP's business today discussing the "8 day Release" and was told the MSP
    advised them yesterday the current wait if submitted today would be 6 Months! It looks to me like they have a plan and it is working.

If this is true...then I might get the SWR Spectre II I bought two weeks ago before I get my stripped lower I purchased on Friday. :sad20:

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    These delays are such an abrogation of people's 2nd amendment rights... We are witnessing the state of Maryland, which initially proposed to run background checks in a reasonable time--the law alludes to 7 days and would never have become law if it said "up to 90 days"--, now take upon itself to essentially say that it will delay background checks for an undetermined amount of time in order to get them done. In other words, zero due process to those trying to legally buy a regulated firearm in Maryland. Zero. The delays have grown from two weeks to now more than ten, and who knows how much longer given the nonexistence of due process. A judge needs to smack these delays down quick, otherwise these preposterous delays, this effective blocking of the 2nd amendment rights of Marylanders will become acceptable and will be used again and again in the future, especially at times when the population deems necessary to arm itself.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    These delays are such an abrogation of people's 2nd amendment rights... We are witnessing the state of Maryland, which initially proposed to run background checks in a reasonable time--the law alludes to 7 days and would never have become law if it said "up to 90 days"--, now take upon itself to essentially say that it will delay background checks for an undetermined amount of time in order to get them done. In other words, zero due process to those trying to legally buy a regulated firearm in Maryland. Zero. The delays have grown from two weeks to now more than ten, and who knows how much longer given the nonexistence of due process. A judge needs to smack these delays down quick, otherwise these preposterous delays, this effective blocking of the 2nd amendment rights of Marylanders will become acceptable and will be used again and again in the future, especially at times when the population deems necessary to arm itself.

Maryland now allows same-sex marriage. So imagine this scenario.
    The rule of law, as updated per the same-sex marriage provision (going off script here), will only recognize same-sex marriages that have received a valid marriage license issued by the state. Due to budget cuts and sequestration, the state of MD has had to cut back on the licensing division that issues same-sex marriage certificates to one employee who is only allowed to work 5 hour shifts per day due to a disability. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for your marriage license to be processed after submission. Please note that any attempts to contact this person for an update on the status of your marriage license will only delay the amount of time they have to process pending applications. While this certificate does not prohibit you from hosting a marriage ceremony, the marriage will not be valid in the State until the license has been issued.

Opposite gender marriage certificates will continued to be processed under the normal procedure within 24 hours of receiving the application.
    Now if MD did something like that, how quickly do you think we would get Nation wide media attention and the hammer of public opinion come smashing down on State legislature that they dare make people's rights delayed?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    With the current MSP PPW/ND trend, maybe...just maybe...I'll be able to pick up a S/A Ruger Blackhawk (6/3 PPW) by next Christmas. :sad20:

Living in Marylandistan has become SO intrusive on my rights, obviously effin' ridiculous and absurd, those state borders in 3 directions only 20 miles away from where I live today have truly become my goal to cross for permanent residency.

If that move had already happened...I'd have that revolver today...

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    With the current MSP PPW/ND trend, maybe...just maybe...I'll be able to pick up a S/A Ruger Blackhawk (6/3 PPW) by next Christmas. :sad20:

Living in Marylandistan has become SO intrusive on my rights, obviously effin' ridiculous and absurd, those state borders in 3 directions only 20 miles away from where I live today have truly become my goal to cross for permanent residency.

If that move had already happened...I'd have that revolver today...

Is funny and sad to say that in 3 months time, you probably could find a new place in VA and sell your place in MD before your guns get released. You'd most likely take a loss on your investment, but just on the time frame alone, it is entirely feasible.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Maryland now allows same-sex marriage. So imagine this scenario.

Now if MD did something like that, how quickly do you think we would get Nation wide media attention and the hammer of public opinion come smashing down on State legislature that they dare make people's rights delayed?

Gays don't kill people. Gay people with guns kill people. :innocent0

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

You nailed it. President is being set here. Once again a new normal is taking place and we are being forced to accept it. The "it will take as long as it takes" line is BU****IT. And Damn Skippy a judge needs to step in post haste and rectify this.

Keep in mind, too, that vacation time for many folks is right around the corner. Does anyone think that MSP requests to go to OC for 2-3 weeks will be turned down due to this backlog. The short answer is NO!!!

It's not their fault a bunch of crazed gun buyers (LEVITY) want as many guns as they can get their hands on prior to 10-1. Why should they be punished because we have no self control.

So they will go on vacation and that will put a nice little damper on the processing time as well. Not to mention kids off from school. Baseball games. Soccer games. "Sick" (sick and tired) days. Personal days. Etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom