Old December 6th, 2017, 05:52 PM #21

Do we know when the Senate votes?
2112rws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:55 PM #22
President, MSI

President, MSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
The Senate bill provides protection for residents of CC states, like HR 38 did. Residents of those states need only provide a photo ID in another state. No NR permit required

IANAL.
It is less than clear (to me at least) that you have to have a CC permit from your home state. The operative language applies to a permit issued pursuant to the law of *a* state. Then limits its reach to cases where the handgun has been shipped in interstate commerce other than in the state of the residence. If the Colt is made in Conn. and is shipped to MD where is is purchased by a MD resident, that the interstate shipment requirement is satisfied. A NR permit is issued by “a” state.
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:04 PM #23

Would this mean that a C&R pistol like a CZ82 be legal to carry in MD with an out of state permit because it is was received from out of state under the Senate bill?
2112rws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:06 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
It is less than clear (to me at least) that you have to have a CC permit from your home state. The operative language applies to a permit issued pursuant to the law of *a* state. Then limits its reach to cases where the handgun has been shipped in interstate commerce other than in the state of the residence. If the Colt is made in Conn. and is shipped to MD where is is purchased by a MD resident, that the interstate shipment requirement is satisfied. A NR permit is issued by “a” state.
So MDers who own nothing but a Beretta 92FS aren't covered. Ugh.
Allen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:10 PM #25
Crna Ovca

Crna Ovca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112rws View Post
Do we know when the Senate votes?
X2

I tried to google but couldnt find a date.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man...2018?is Maryland shall issue yet!!!
thomfantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:14 PM #26

Even though it is "state of residence" as written it is still a big step forward if it passes. Not as big a step as we all would have liked with nationwide shall-issue of course, but still very helpful.

This bill will put the democrats in the GA in the very uncomfortable position of having to say why people from other states can carry in Maryland but Marylanders can't. Try telling a local elitist liberal that someone from Alabama or Texas can do something in Maryland that they aren't allowed to do. It won't matter if it's concealed carry or self-administered lobotomies, they aren't going to like hearing that at all. I think it might also raise some equal protection arguments in court as well.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:27 PM #27
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

What political downside is it for the MGA to not pursue in-state carry permits while those outside the state can carry? I would submit most Marylanders wouldn't even care. Liberal elites putting pressure on the MGA to go shall issue? I'm not seeing it. If anything, those that want to take advantage will simply declare residency outside of Maryland, get a shall issue permit, then carry in Maryland. The leftist elites don't care because they got the resources to get carry permits regardless - the rest of us be damned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
whistlersmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM #28

If this passes I would become one of the PA residents that travels to MD everyday and would now be carrying everyday in MD. I think this would force MD lawmakers' hand into moving toward shall issue.
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:35 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlersmother View Post
What political downside is it for the MGA to not pursue in-state carry permits while those outside the state can carry? I would submit most Marylanders wouldn't even care. Liberal elites putting pressure on the MGA to go shall issue? I'm not seeing it. If anything, those that want to take advantage will simply declare residency outside of Maryland, get a shall issue permit, then carry in Maryland. The leftist elites don't care because they got the resources to get carry permits regardless - the rest of us be damned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I didn't say the hard core leftists will put pressure on the GA to go shall issue. We both know that will never happen. The hard core leftists won't change their position on gun control, I agree with this. They will just be angry about it. But the middle of the road fence sitters, both voters and representatives, they may care. At the very least I think you will see some loosening of the current "good an substantial" standard, either in statute or in practice. And regardless, it is a start. Once it passes and the public sees the streets don't run red with blood it makes it easier to pursue a loosening of the current law in Maryland and may make it possible to get the state of residence requirement taken out of the federal law. I doubt Maryland will ever go shall-issue without a federal law or court decision, but this could help chip away at the current basically insurmountable standards for many.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:43 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester60 View Post
If this passes I would become one of the PA residents that travels to MD everyday and would now be carrying everyday in MD. I think this would force MD lawmakers' hand into moving toward shall issue.
This sort of solution, if utilised by a reasonable number of soon to be ex-Marylanders, will attract attention of lawmakers sensitive to the loss of tax revenue, hopefully. Of course, it didn't seem to bother them when Beretta pulled up stakes and moved to Tennessee.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."
Bob A is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues