• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    looking to make my first .30 cal suppressor purchase
    my main use is going to be hunting with supersonic rounds so i dont need it to be perfectly quiet but just enough so i dont have to wear ear protection during the hunt
    (add home defense into this purpose as well)

been looking at both of these and cant make a decision
    right now on silencer shop the K is at $569 and the M30 is at $763

i know the rugged is modular but is that worth the extra 200?

Anybody have experience with both or either of these? they both seem pretty similar in their short version. thanks

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    My quick research shows Sandman-K only attenuates sound to 140dB. OSHA "hearing-safe" limit is 140dB; I would not expect the K do be sans-ear pro friendly or safe, especially over time and repeated exposure.

Typically, sound attenuation should be the last thing you look for in a suppressor. My Specwar 7.62 sounds great, but it's long "AF" as the yutes say and it's very heavy. A short Kurz-style can handles infinitely better on a gun in both its length and weight while still taking the edge off the shot. Since you're interested in supersonics primarily, I wouldn't be too worried about the attenuation, but do understand the safety implications.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    My quick research shows Sandman-K only attenuates sound to 140dB. OSHA "hearing-safe" limit is 140dB; I would not expect the K do be sans-ear pro friendly or safe, especially over time and repeated exposure.

yeah i figured that much buts its better than my current situation (hunting with no ear protection) also i figure it would save hearing somewhat in a home defense situation while also being lightweight and compact.

Ive seen some K reviews but im just seeing if anyone has experience with the micro30 yet because i know it came out pretty recently

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't have personal experience with either, but I've been researching both for potential future purchase. Personally I'd go with the Rugged Micro 30. I don't know that either is really going to be hearing safe with supersonic ammo, but the Micro just seems more useful to me. The sandman k seems at home on a dedicated suppressed .300blk that mostly shoots subsonic ammo, or anything supersonic when used in conjunction with electronic earpro. But I am a wimp when it comes to protecting my ears. The sandman probably has a better mounting system, so there's that.

Something else to consider is that there are some light direct thread cans in that price range that may do what you want them to do without a huge weight or size penalty, but that may suppress a little more effectively. But if you want to be able to move the can to an HD gun with a muzzle device, I guess that's out.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I just thought about this crazy idea

I wonder if they can make a two way adapter to make the Micro longer. Then it could be 5", 6.5", and 9" all in one suppressor.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    1. I have a Sandman S. The DA attachment system is the best in the industry hands down, IMO. Construction of the can itself is pretty bulletproof as well.

2. No rifle can shooting supersonic ammunition is really "hearing safe" per se.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot

I wonder if they can make a two way adapter to make the Micro longer. Then it could be 5", 6.5", and 9" all in one suppressor.

i thought of that too.

im guessing they cant do that now because the threads are different in some way?

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.

i thought of that too.

im guessing they cant do that now because the threads are different in some way?

Rugged won't recommend doing that unless it is a complete design.

For example, I cannot safely swap the ADAPT module from my Rugged Surge onto my Rugged Razor. It will screw on but the baffles may not be completely concentric and I would rather not risk a baffle strike just to try out the idea.

So basically, I have a Razor which has 3 baffles, Surge in short config is 5 baffles, Surge in long configuration is 7 baffles. I would love to find out what the Micro30 has, maybe 2 in the body (need space for the muzzle brake mount) and 2 more in the module.

For the OP, I would recommend a Micro30 over the Razor unless the $$ matter. The Surge is very nice from a sound suppression point of view but is longer and heavier.

Oh, I also love the Rugged QD system. It is absolutely easy to use, locks up tight and POI shift is 100% repeatable.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    i thought of that too.

It looks like an adapter would be a legality issue due to ATF asking for your maximum length and would require a Form 1 to add to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom