• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Can anyone recommend a quality, honest drywall repair guy in the White Marsh, Kingsville area? I have 4 holes in my living room ceiling that I would like patched and prepped for paint. I would not mind having it painted as well if the price is right but I can do that if needed. Since it is a ceiling in a room that is used all of the time I really want it to come out clean and be unnoticeable. I am a little OCD with those types of things and that is part of the reason I wont do it myself. Looking for very local since it is not a huge job and will require 4 separate trips for skim coating that will only take 15-20 minutes at that stage.

Looking for a quote on the job and just want to know that it is going to look good in the end.

Eric 443-271-5230

I will resize these giant pics, sorry about that. You can see where the water ran along the tape seams of the drywall and I would to have this re-taped and finished as well. The last pic is an adjacent room. Drywall is ok just need it re-taped and finished.

042e6af29cd320238f66efca3eafdd5f.jpg

04cf9720a9823b47d47e451a04cdcb0a.jpg

94c6d29776aa74ee1f0f05c1fc61e7be.jpg

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    if you want to lower the price, do the drywall yourself and then have a painter come in and finish it. use a square and a level (or any other long straight edge) to cut the drywall right down the middle of the joists using a utility knife. you will have to make the holes bigger obviously. you want it so half of the joist supports the existing drywall, and the other half supports the new piece. Secure existing drywall in place with screws, measure and cut new drywall to size, screw in place. making sure the hole is square makes cutting and fitting the drywall much easier. Drywall is done.

for finishing, you want to go to home depot and buy the 5ga bucket of mud for like $15. you can also by the powder and mix it yourself, but I get more use out of the bucket sitting in my basement for a stool, so I don't mind lol. ignore all the small containers of spackle you may find in the painting section. get some mesh finishing tape, cover all the seems, apply the mud as evenly as possible (don't over do it), but you want the ceiling to be level, so fan it out to cover any dip. let dry a day with a fan on it. take a fine sanding sponge and lightly go over everything to knock the imperfections out. wipe the dust away, and apply another thin coat of mud. you can add a little extra water to thin it out as this should be the final coat. wait a day, very lightly sand if necessary, and that's it.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    if it takes three coats to get a level smooth surface, don't worry about it. like anything else, it's a skill that takes practice. first time I tried patching, it looked worse than the second picture. I was planning on selling, so I paid a perfectionist of a painter to come in and fix it. I then added two closets to the house, did all my own work, and it looked great. bucket of mud or mix makes all the difference in the world.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    It would look better in the end, and not be much more work, to just replace those entire sheets.

The big downside to that, is the inside corner finishing that would be required, and the resulting need to paint those parts of the walls adjoining the new ceiling drywall. If you still have some of the existing paint that is still usable, then not a big deal. If you have to color match new paint, it can be a real pain in the butt, as they rarely get them to perfectly match.

Good luck with the project!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Much more than Two Fiddy.

Those areas need to be built up with wood framing so the drywall dude has a place to secure drywall screws.

Or he'll have to cut the areas a bit larger until he finds suitable anchor points.

Lots and lots of mud and multiple trips and sanding too.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Much more than Two Fiddy.

Those areas need to be built up with wood framing so the drywall dude has a place to secure drywall screws.

Or he'll have to cut the areas a bit larger until he finds suitable anchor points.

Lots and lots of mud and multiple trips and sanding too.

Yeah. Not sure where the $250 is coming from. If you get it done for $500, I'll be surprised. Budget a grand. It would have been smarter to have the repair guy cut the holes too. You've kind of created a nightmare.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Like he said, they have always seemed to cut open more to secure on all sides before doing the joints or it will just crack.
    From personal experience, ceiling is not the place to learn dry wall repair at home.
    To keep costs down, you have to find and pay only the guy doing the work (which I think your attempting by posting here).
    home repair/remodeling is hot right now and good luck finding someone. Hopefully you can find a guy guy and tempt him with a box of bulk 22 as a bonus :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yeah. Not sure where the $250 is coming from. If you get it done for $500, I'll be surprised. Budget a grand. It would have been smarter to have the repair guy cut the holes too. You've kind of created a nightmare.

YUP!

Unless drywall dude is also carpenter dude, OP is looking at three trades to get the job done.

And ceiling work is neck wrenching, crap in your eyes, dirt work. Gets expensive.

A lot of trades will quote high hoping to not get the job. Then they make nice bank if the owner says yes.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    Like I said, a good drywall guy. You cut patches square, install blocking as necessary, tape with paper tape using ez sand 20 apply 3 coats after the tape coat and a quality drywall finisher will provide a quality finish that can be sanded by the painter. All drywall work can be done in 1 day ready to paint the next day and you're right $300 is more reasonable for labor alone.
    Material will be a sheet or 2 of 4x8 " drywall and no more than 2 bags of ez 20. Screws tape & wood for blocking is usually laying around the garage.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    "I really want it to come out clean and be unnoticeable".

Sorry, not gonna happen. You will see the seams and butt joints under the right light no matter what. In fact I can see some nasty joints in your pictures now.

I've been in the business for 25 years.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    "I really want it to come out clean and be unnoticeable".

Sorry, not gonna happen. You will see the seams and butt joints under the right light no matter what. In fact I can see some nasty joints in your pictures now.

I've been in the business for 25 years.

YUP!

There are sags/bows in the original ceiling.

The new patches will be dead level. Lots of high and low points at the new junctures.

Will take a lot of feathering with mud to blend those peaks and valleys.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    YUP!

There are sags/bows in the original ceiling.

The new patches will be dead level. Lots of high and low points at the new junctures.

Will take a lot of feathering with mud to blend those peaks and valleys.

That's the only complicating issue. Existing ceiling is sagging so if the OP wants the entire thing screwed tight you really cant tell until you put some screws in it to see if it can be pulled tight to the framing above or if the screws pull through the dwall

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Fix it right. Remove all ceiling, hang new drywall and finish. And you'll still see some butt joints if the light is right, nothing's perfect.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    We have an incognito drywall profession on the forum. I do believe he has retired his side business, but he should be able to give you a realistic cost estimate. I'll send a PM and see if he'd like to add to this discussion. I've done a fair share of drywall in the past and I wouldn't touch that job for anything less than $500. You also have 2 very bad seams running right down the length of the ceiling. There could be more damage than just the holes that were made. If this damage was due to a water leak, I'm guessing you're looking at replacing a good bit more than just patching the holes. If that's the case, open your wallet even wider.

Good Luck!

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Thanks for all of the the replies. The holes were created because we had a leak 3 days after moving in last year caused by a clogged main and a cracked cast iron vent pipe (replaced with PVC) closest to the sliding door. We had a home warranty so a hack plumber came out and took three attempts to find the leak thus the multiple holes.

The house was built in the 70's and yes there are some seems visible in this room and others as well. I think they are more apparent here because the water traveled down the seems.

I did have a guy out last week that provided a quote for patching, taping and painting and it seemed reasonable but I want a few other options. I agree that a ceiling is not the place to learn but I am willing to cut the holes square and to the joist to help with the process.

I will reach out to those who had replied.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    go trolling on any home Depot parking lot. you can find "new Americans" who are very good at drywall work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom