• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I went to one of the local southern maryland establishments to buy some pyrodex this weekend for the smoke pole and had to give them my drivers license so they could put my information in a logbook. When I asked if it was a state requirement to record sales of gunpowder I was told it was. I didn't have to do that last year when I bought pyrodex at the same establishment and have never done it any other place in Maryland when i've bought gunpowder for reloading. Anybody know if there really is a requirement?

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It is the law. If you didn't have to do it last year someone made a mistake.

They are only allowed to sell you 5 pounds of smokeless powder and 5 pounds of black powder, the same limit that you can legally possess without a license.

http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/expl.htm

This has nothing to do with the made-up ammunition log.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    WOW, so according to that, if I was to move into a condo or apartment complex I could not keep powder in my residence, that sucks.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have purchased BP substitutes in Maryland, and never had my information logged.

I don't think this is a "law" per se, just one of those "polite requests" from the state gov't that sellers do this, or else they will make life difficult for them - the way the MSP has tried to "encourage" ammo sellers to log their sales.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have purchased BP substitutes in Maryland, and never had my information logged.

I don't think this is a "law" per se, just one of those "polite requests" from the state gov't that sellers do this, or else they will make life difficult for them - the way the MSP has tried to "encourage" ammo sellers to log their sales.

Maybe some BP substitutes are a gray area because they are not, technically, smokeless powder or black powder but Pyrodex contains either BP or smokeless powder.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Last Pyrodex I got was in PA and they just verified I was over 18 and away I went. I did get Pyrodex in MD almost 10 years ago and had to fill out my info per "fire marshals regs"...no one ever came and check on me for that so I dunno. :shrug:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Bass Pro has Black Powder Substitute (Some type ?) for Muzzle Loading rifles and pistols out in the open. Pick it up and walk to the register, no questions asked.

Last edited:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Last Pyrodex I got was in PA and they just verified I was over 18 and away I went. I did get Pyrodex in MD almost 10 years ago and had to fill out my info per "fire marshals regs"...no one ever came and check on me for that so I dunno. :shrug:

As far as I know, no one's got a right to check on you unless you have a license for > the 5 pound limit.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    One thing I was surprised at, reading the link, was that they seem to classify gunpowder as an "explosive for a firearm"? I was always led to believe that gunpowder was deemed a propellant so you would not have to jump through the hurdles to buy and posses it? I remember being told that in Maine when I was stationed up there and just getting into reloading seriously, it seemed plausible at the time and I never gave it much thought until now, reading that 5 pound rule. I better get cranking a the bench so I can get within regs!!!:)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    It is the law. If you didn't have to do it last year someone made a mistake.

They are only allowed to sell you 5 pounds of smokeless powder and 5 pounds of black powder, the same limit that you can legally possess without a license.

http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/expl.htm

This has nothing to do with the made-up ammunition log.

K31 is correct. Although the license is what Maryland requires and most other states and the feds don't require such a thing.

§ 11-115. Prohibited acts; penalty--Explosives for use in firearms; required reports (top)

Prohibitions on possession or storage of explosives for use in firearms

(a)(1) A person may not possess at any time or store in any one place more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder or more than 5 pounds of black powder for use in firearms unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.
    (2) A person may not engage in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition unless the person is licensed to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.
    (3) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools or other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

Prohibition on sale of explosives for use in firearms

(b) A dealer may not sell, barter, give, or dispose of more than 5 pounds of black powder or more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder for use in firearms to any one person at any one time unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

Failure to file reports or records prohibited

(c) A person may not fail to file reports or records required under § 11-112 of this subtitle.

I don't see anywhere in the COMAR where it requires a powder log be kept of people purchasing powder.

It is interesting though, that COMAR states : (2) A person may not engage in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition unless the person is licensed to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle. I hope that they don't define 'business too broadly, as I am pretty busy when I am reloading, and it sure aint their business!

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One thing I was surprised at, reading the link, was that they seem to classify gunpowder as an "explosive for a firearm"? I was always led to believe that gunpowder was deemed a propellant so you would not have to jump through the hurdles to buy and posses it?

Welcome to Maryland. Yes, they have deemed through fiat that a flammable substance (smokeless powder) is an explosive.

BP actually is classified as an explosive.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    K
    I don't see anywhere in the COMAR where it requires a powder log be kept of people purchasing powder.

§ 11-115. Same - Explosives for use in firearms; required reports.

(c) Failure to file reports or records prohibited.- A person may not fail to file reports or records required under § 11-112 of this subtitle.

Section 11-112:

§ 11-112. Records and reports of manufacturers and dealers.

(a) Records.-

(1) Each manufacturer and each dealer shall keep, for all explosives shipped, purchased, or sold, a record that includes:

(i) the name and address of each consignee, buyer, or seller of the explosives;

(ii) the date of each shipment, purchase, or sale; and

(iii) the amount and description of the explosives.

(2) Each record kept under this subsection shall at all times be open for inspection by agents of the licensing authority and by federal, State, and local law enforcement officers.

(3) (i) Subject to subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph, each manufacturer and each dealer shall provide a copy of each record kept under this subsection to the State Fire Marshal in the form that the State Fire Marshal requires.

(ii) A record kept under this subsection shall be provided on request, but need not be filed more than once in each calendar month.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    WOW, so according to that, if I was to move into a condo or apartment complex I could not keep powder in my residence, that sucks.

YOu are allowed to keep fixed ammo in your apartment. Some people here load up .50 BMG cases with the powder for storage in their apt and when they reload they just pull the bullet and pour out what they need for the reloading session. ;)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    YOu are allowed to keep fixed ammo in your apartment. Some people here load up .50 BMG cases with the powder for storage in their apt and when they reload they just pull the bullet and pour out what they need for the reloading session. ;)

Yeah, I didn't interpret that to mean I couldnt store ammo in my apartment, I just remember all the gunpowder I had when i was in Maine and living in a house that was converted into several apartments. I never would have figured that would be against the law there, or any state for that matter. I knew there were things about this state that I wasn't going to care for, but lord, it seems like every day I learn someting else that I don't like.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have had to give my license every time I bought powder for the past 20 years.

MDresident

Sep 22, 2010
    Suppose you shoot alot (as some of us do). The log book may not really indicate how much powder you the purchaser have, if you are using it up fast. Not really sure what this is accomplishing, anyhow.....
    Just seems like it's bureaucratic "feel good" requirements. Guess they thought this up prior to mail order and the Internet.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I bought primers in PG county one time and they loggedmy info, said it was a fire marshal thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom