Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Join MD Shooters

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:12 AM #171
W T F

W T F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoberts View Post
I suppose the combination of the whizzing bullet and muzzle blast gave him a coronary. I've had it happen with squirrels, too, so why not a deer. A .50's muzzle blast shakes the earth and air.

no, this myth has been busted several times in this thread. go back and look at this video

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post

he probably hit the eyes. someone posted upthread a ballistics gel test from Jerry Miculek. .50bmg has very little expansion in the first 8 inches and almost no cavity. If he hit the deer in the eyes, it probably just went through and through.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoberts View Post
Some people are just stupid and they give the DNR reason to be on our arses. Don't downplay the validity of the claim. I shot at a groundhog with my .243 Forester and missed him by a smidge, because I flinched at a noise, but he died. I suppose the combination of the whizzing bullet and muzzle blast gave him a coronary. I've had it happen with squirrels, too, so why not a deer. A .50's muzzle blast shakes the earth and air.

What did you shoot with that you missed a squirrel and it died?
Those tree rats are immortal! I"ve put several 22LR through them (body shots my son took) before and they still kept moving. I had one on my feeder while crossbow hunting. Rascal tried to open the lid and I put a field point from chest to hip. Darn thing was stunned for 2 minutes then got back up and tried to crawl under a log. Squirrels are like vampires, they are only dead when you blow or cut the head off. Never believe a squirrel is truly dead until then
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM #173
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
no, this myth has been busted several times in this thread. go back and look at this video

he probably hit the eyes. someone posted upthread a ballistics gel test from Jerry Miculek. .50bmg has very little expansion in the first 8 inches and almost no cavity. If he hit the deer in the eyes, it probably just went through and through.
If it hit anything more than fur, the hydrostatic shock would have caused the damage - he hit something, but it wasn't a direct hit.
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM #174
Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
What did you shoot with that you missed a squirrel and it died?
Those tree rats are immortal! I"ve put several 22LR through them (body shots my son took) before and they still kept moving. I had one on my feeder while crossbow hunting. Rascal tried to open the lid and I put a field point from chest to hip. Darn thing was stunned for 2 minutes then got back up and tried to crawl under a log. Squirrels are like vampires, they are only dead when you blow or cut the head off. Never believe a squirrel is truly dead until then
This has been my experience with squirrels & .22's. When I was a new hunter I shot one a half a dozen times as it ran up a tree. It finally stopped climbing and I expected it to fall off. I approached and found it clinging to the tree - apparently quite dead so I knocked it off with a stick. I never forgot that squirrels can die with their claws in the bark of a tree and hang like that for a LONG time. It's happened to me more than once with .22's.
I switched to hunting squirrels with shotguns and never had that problem.

With shotguns you tend to find shot in your meat but that's another issue entirely.
BigSteve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:49 AM #175

Yup, you’ve gotta think on it. The bullet is bleeding energy the entire length of travel. More at the beginning then the end because of the higher velocity. If it could kill an animal from a near miss, the air resistance would make it act like a ballon. It would could tearing out of the barrel and then fall to the ground within a dozen feet from bleeding off all of the energy.

Only way a near miss can kill something is either you literally scare something to death (usually by it running head long in to something and breaking its neck/skull) or the bullet impacts very near by and the fragmentation hits and kills what you were aiming at (and that is unlikely to kill something).

Muzzle blast itself if something were really close to the barrel might kill something small. Stick your hand very near the muzzle and you are likely to take a chunk out of some fingers. But that is from the actual blast of escaping gases, not the bullet passage.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:58 AM #176
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

After watching the video several times, I wonder if the bullet didn't pass right through the munching mouth of the deer, maybe hitting the tongue?
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:00 PM #177
W T F

W T F

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
If it hit anything more than fur, the hydrostatic shock would have caused the damage - he hit something, but it wasn't a direct hit.
I thought so too but take a look at the ballistics gel test. It took 8-9 inches for the hydrostatic shock to set in. The bullet may simply have pushed the eyes out the other side. If you look at the OP video carefully (roughly 3:50 mark), you do see a small hole in front of the eye when he holds the deer head up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Take a look at this and how long it took to expand.

danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:08 PM #178

Quote:
If you look at the OP video carefully (roughly 3:50 mark), you do see a small hole in front of the eye when he holds the deer head up.
Plus, the guy clearly stated, at the end of the video, that the eyes were "sucked out of the deer's head".
My interpretation of that statement: that is the exact evidence that the bullet went through both eye sockets.
gunismyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:03 PM #179

Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomfantomas View Post
Ridiculous to hunt deer with a 50 bmg in the first place!
Only in Maryland with small deer would someone use that gun . My last deer was a 218lb buck with a .35 marlin , maybe I should of used a bazooka.
Just saying. Just because you have such a nice weapon, your not Hunting elephants.
03flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:04 PM #180

WTF is up with all these 'sleeper cell' posts?
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports