Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Let us never forget:
    pivOPX9.png

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Oh now I see what you're saying. I used the word firearms, my bad.

sheepish look on face.

:bowdown:

ETA-editing my post
    No worries. You, I and everyone here are 100% on the same side.

It is a shame DC and Md have complex idiotic laws that force us to make precise technical distinctions since those laws only harm the law abiding and have no affect on criminals.

With a long gun, the starting point* is that DC has to show it is forbidden under code (by forbidden make/model or forbidden attribute) to disallow you registering it; whereas with handguns the registrant has to show that it is allowed (currently "allowed" make and models on Ca., Ma, or Md. rosters).

*The code says the Chief has discretion. But this is apparently never used.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• dc1.jpg
      dc1.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 217
    • dc2.jpg
      dc2.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 218
    Last edited:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The DC code § 7–2505.04 says the California Handgun roster is the DC accepted roster, but goes on to say the Chief has the discretion to add others.

The chief apparently added Maryland and Massachusetts.

It would seem the addition of MD and MA was at the Chief's discretion as the law only mentions CA.
    Thanks. That was a council and DC AG ordering the Chief to make emergency change in the rules due directly to a suit filed by Gura in March 2009.
    Here is the chiefs revision http://dcregisterarchives.dc.gov/si...attachments/17384/11 Emergency Rulemaking.pdf
    On handguns:
    • Jan - Sept 2008 only revolvers.
    • Sept 2008 to June 2009, full Cali list including Cali semi-auto handguns
    • June 2009-present, Cali, Ma or Md.
    At the time Md roster was about 75% longer than Cali. Now it is much much longer, and with microstamping enforcement in cali for their roster, the difference is grow even more.

It is interesting to see the practical effect with new carry oriented guns with these states having low CCL numbers and therefore low importance to the makers. With M&P shield 2, the Mass. compliant shield m2.0 got approved and placed on Mass. roster very quickly. It was already on the Ma. roster at retail launch of the firearm. Apparently this is due to the fact that while Mass CCL numbers are low, the 10lb trigger at the core of the Mass requirement, is an On and/or Off Duty requirement with enough of law enforcement outside of Mass that Mass compliance was a priority for S&W. They wont make a microstamp so Cali is irrelevant to them. That leaves Md/DC where the CCL number are so low that S&W probably has this very low priority. fortunately, from what I read, Md. apparently allows owner submissions so we will probably see it on Md roster eventually.

It is troubling to see the sheer amount of rules on this and other aspects of relaxing DC gun control that have stacked up from DC deciding not to challenge, as opposed to us winning in court. Essentially if Trump is unable to replace Ginsburg, Kennedy or Breyer (or a single conservative) there could be a 5hitstorm of harsh gun control in DC from reversion to original legislation. There is Heller and the handful of wins (but mostly losses) in Heller III. But a lot of relaxations were done as a result of threatened lawsuits as opposed to rulings and they could revert if the court tips. Even the conversion of a couple of senate seats to blue in 11 months could mean no more Trump appointments to SCOTUS.

DC could walk back about 2/3 of the relaxations since Heller. On carry itself they could erect a lot of new barriers as well.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD does allow anyone to submit a pistol to the MD Handgun Roster Board. It can take up to 120 days because the proposed changes, like DCMR proposals have to have a comment period after being published in the MD register. (30 days.) The Roster Board only has to meet every 45 days if a firearm is submitted so it you submit just after a meeting, you've got a fairly long wait until it's actually added after approval.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm late to catching up with the thread.

Back in post #63 , DC-W cropped out the most important part of HvyMax's historic photo .

But on more serious note , Cali's Roster has another fatal flaw. Unlike Md's , Cali requires an annual fee from mfg/ distributor for a gun to remain on the Roster . Once a particular model or variation is no longer mfg / imported / or no longer a sales priority , previously approved are dropped, and become orphans .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I have the original photo somewhere. That’s the one I had handy at the time of the post. Still historic.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Have you received your permit yet? I applied on Nov 30 so two more weeks for me until the 90 days. Do we have a thread where we track how long it is taking people to receive their permits?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Do we have a thread where we track how long it is taking people to receive their permits?

Approval letter received 110 days after submission of affidavit. Took an hour at DC to get it, without any crowd. While sitting waiting I heard the lone person trying to work on issuing the permit answering phone calls. I could get through the one side I was hearing, it was people calling inquiring where their permit is, how long etc. Seriously, I wouldn't bother calling till 120 days, which was my limit as to when to call. I didn't hear any answers given that were remarkable. Answers such as "We are working on such an such dates applications" , go ahead and believe that if you wish. I recently heard from another person they went down to pick up their permit and didn't walk out until three hours later. Another possible problem that has been noted, and near happened when I went, if a key person is not available you may not get the permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom