• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erfmagerf

May 2, 2017
    Long time lurker first time poster here. Love the forum and some of the entertainment it provides. Also the advice is sometimes pretty good. Anyway, I own a photography business and shoot street photography around the state. Sometimes not in the best areas but money for these photos can be good. I know getting a permit for carrying large sums of money is likely to be approved but what about carrying around expensive cameras. I typically carry a camera that with the body and lenses would put the value over $5000. It's not cash but likely to be targeted for having a expensive looking camera for work. Does anyone have any experience in whether I should even bother applying? Thanks guys.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Long time lurker first time poster here. Love the forum and some of the entertainment it provides. Also the advice is sometimes pretty good. Anyway, I own a photography business and shoot street photography around the state. Sometimes not in the best areas but money for these photos can be good. I know getting a permit for carrying large sums of money is likely to be approved but what about carrying around expensive cameras. I typically carry a camera that with the body and lenses would put the value over $5000. It's not cash but likely to be targeted for having a expensive looking camera for work. Does anyone have any experience in whether I should even bother applying? Thanks guys.

Apply, list your business, list your equipment, list that you are not always working but you may have your equipment with you "just in case", and request an unrestricted permit.

Chances are, you will end up with a restricted permit to "while conducting business" that can be appealed to the HPRB and have the potential for an unrestricted permit issued via the HPRB.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Despite what I was told by two different troopers at the HPRB (ya know, the ones who actually do this), that equipment was a valid reason, however.....

I listed over 20k in total... not good enough.

Bank statements with business stuff highlighted, nope.

Invoices... nada ( invoices were in cash and in safe at home)

So far one shortage letter and over 90 business days so far. I guess the good news is when I get a denial, at least I can go from none, straight to unrestricted. Maybe in a way they are trying to help.

If course if my accounting was better, might have gotten one already. So I guess I am half to blame. It's all fixed, new bank account, new LLC, new QuickBooks software.... so I guess maybe the appeal will go more smoothly.

Mark

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Despite what I was told by two different troopers at the HPRB (ya know, the ones who actually do this), that equipment was a valid reason, however.....

I listed over 20k in total... not good enough.

Bank statements with business stuff highlighted, nope.

Invoices... nada ( invoices were in cash and in safe at home)

So far one shortage letter and over 90 business days so far. I guess the good news is when I get a denial, at least I can go from none, straight to unrestricted. Maybe in a way they are trying to help.

If course if my accounting was better, might have gotten one already. So I guess I am half to blame. It's all fixed, new bank account, new LLC, new QuickBooks software.... so I guess maybe the appeal will go more smoothly.

Mark
    It definitely helps when you have it all set up in advance. It's unfortunate that anything is required at all. #2A

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    It definitely helps when you have it all set up in advance. It's unfortunate that anything is required at all. #2A

Well, in hindsight.. yea.

I have always done done things as a sole proprietor, and since there is no real requirement to separate finances, I never did. I have had DBA's, but for this purpose I could only pick one (so said MSP), so at least forming a corporation, I can have whatever DBA I want and there is just one "business." At least moving forward I will have my ducks in a row instead of wandering around the yard.

Mark

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    I am involved in inspections. I got my original Permit about 12 years ago because the letter from my boss stated that I often work under bridges etc (out of the public eye) and have expensive equipment with me. I included the receipts for that equipment with the permit paperwork. I was issued a carry permit with the typical restrictions "While working as inspector".

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    that's great! now that you've earned the right to carry... now earn the right once you've pulled the trigger... do not pass go....do not collect $200. marylandistan sucks.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    MSP is a bunch of crap. If you are a business owner, can articulate any danger due to your profession/business, then you should be getting your permit. Financial transactions are not G&S.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was about to say somthing supportive of MSP logic , but I mentally slapped myself until the feeling passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom