• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FRANKCASTLE

Apr 28, 2013
    what is in your opinion the best suppressor made on the market or what has the best rating? My choices seem to be limited on what I can get due to supply so just wondering what your choices are and what your experiences are obviously iam interested in optimum noise reduction

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I imagine folks each have their favorites. I have spent a lot of time on Silencer Forum doing research, but I've gotten the best actual info from the guys at 2A Sales.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It would help to know what caliber you want to supress. Pistol or rifle would be good to know as well.

There are so many supressors available now. It is truly amazing.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    It would help to know what caliber you want to supress. Pistol or rifle would be good to know as well.

There are so many supressors available now. It is truly amazing.

Since he gave us no real details, I am gonna start running my mouth...

The integrally suppressed rifles seem to work the best, due to increased volume of the suppressor. Generally speaking of course...

Go to the "new" Snipershide site and the top article is on a integrally suppressed bolt gun. The DB numbers are fascinating if almost unbelievable.

So you want quiet? Integrally suppressed bolt action is where to start. Use subsonic ammo.

Less quiet, use supersonic ammo.

Less quiet, use a semi-auto.

Less quiet, a detachable suppressor... ish.

My most quiet centerfire setup is a 9.25" all Ti 30 cal suppressor with a 300BLK 9" upper shooting subs. While its quiet for people standing around me shooting, due to the high back pressure of this can the port pop is pretty loud.

So another question - do you want quiet for you or your neighbors?

...see how complicated this can get? :party29:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My CZ 455 with a spectre II on it shooting CCI quiets is amazing. The only thing you hear is the bolt drop, then the bullet impact. There is a little first round pop but it's not bad. If you use inert gas to remove the O2 from the can it eliminates that. They sell it for wine bottles if you want to cork it after opening it.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    My CZ 455 with a spectre II on it shooting CCI quiets is amazing. The only thing you hear is the bolt drop, then the bullet impact. There is a little first round pop but it's not bad. If you use inert gas to remove the O2 from the can it eliminates that. They sell it for wine bottles if you want to cork it after opening it.

Yeah, I have a Savage FVSR + Mask and its really quiet. I have CCI Quiets but have yet to try them. Doing just fine with subs and even CCI Standards are great.

Here is that article I was talking about:
    https://www.snipershide.com/integrally-suppressed-ruger-precision/

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Yeah, I have a Savage FVSR + Mask and its really quiet. I have CCI Quiets but have yet to try them. Doing just fine with subs and even CCI Standards are great.

Here is that article I was talking about:
    https://www.snipershide.com/integrally-suppressed-ruger-precision/

The quiets are scary quiet but they drop off a lot. The Gemtech subs cycle my Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 so I shoot those the most. The quiets won't cycle either of my Rugers.
    I bought a spring kit for the 22/45 and even the lightest spring wouldn't cycle reliably. I cut the spring down to try to get it to cycle but then the bolt didn't have enough force to chamber a new round. Went back to stock spring/rod and shoot CCI and Gemtech subs only.

I should probably clean my spectre soon... it's gotta be filthy after about 500rds.

Has anyone tried the dip with vinegar and H2O2? My BIL did the silicone bake method after cleaning his can and said it makes cleaning a lot easier from then on.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    The quiets are scary quiet but they drop off a lot. The Gemtech subs cycle my Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 so I shoot those the most. The quiets won't cycle either of my Rugers.
    I bought a spring kit for the 22/45 and even the lightest spring wouldn't cycle reliably. I cut the spring down to try to get it to cycle but then the bolt didn't have enough force to chamber a new round. Went back to stock spring/rod and shoot CCI and Gemtech subs only.

I should probably clean my spectre soon... it's gotta be filthy after about 500rds.

Has anyone tried the dip with vinegar and H2O2? My BIL did the silicone bake method after cleaning his can and said it makes cleaning a lot easier from then on.

I don't waste any of the subs in my pistols. Bucket O Bullets and similar (~1300fps) are subsonic in the pistols, so I shoot the cheap stuff. I do notice some noise difference but not enough to care too much.

I have not done the "Pepsi Challenge" recently, but have amassed a bunch of different subs, CCI, Aguila, American Eagle Suppressor, Win Max, and maybe a few others.

I use a cheap Harbor Freight tumbler to wet tumble (3 lb drum model is like $40). And use water, dish soap, and 1 lbs of metal media. Works like a charm for small batches of brass and steel baffles.

I am going to wait for 1000 rounds before I clean the Mask.

FRANKCASTLE

Apr 28, 2013
    considering iam fairly noob and have minimal experience with class three idk always know what aim reading but ill keep asking questions and I can hopefully finally figure things out, I've only ran regular ammo through my suppressors thus far THANKS

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The problem with the dip (vinegar+H202) is that you end up with a solution with soluble lead. VERY hazardous and hard to dispose of properly.

But it works great.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    what is in your opinion the best suppressor made on the market or what has the best rating? My choices seem to be limited on what I can get due to supply so just wondering what your choices are and what your experiences are obviously i am interested in optimum noise reduction

You'll probably end up getting
    1. a dedicated rimfire suppressor for .22
    2. then maybe a .45 cal to cover .45, .40, and 9mm.
    3. then a 30 cal can to cover that and .223/.556.
    Many brands, some rated for full auto while others claim they are. Some have a baffle stack while others are monocore. Then there are the home made form1 cans that are heavier than manufactured ones but are comparable in noise suppression if not better. For a rimfire suppressor get one that is user serviceable aka you can take apart to clean (not sure if all rimfire cans are user servicable). For pistol caliber cans some are user serviceable. For rifle cans I think they self clean.

My BIL did the silicone bake method after cleaning his can and said it makes cleaning a lot easier from then on.

I submerge my 22 suppressor in Dot5 silicone 2 days before using. After shooting most of the dirt wipes off even with a paper towel. Then I clean the baffles a little more with a cotton bud then submerge the suppressor again.

I once forgot to disassemble my 9mm suppressor after using it on 22 ammo. I was unable to take it apart. I submerged the suppressor in the Silicone dip for 24 hours and with a few light taps with a rubber hammer was able to take it apart.

I do not bother with the baking step to be honest. Nor do I use anything else to clean my 22 suppressor.

My form1 .30cal suppressor that I mainly use on my .22 AR pistol I use Crisco aka "Fireclean" to clean it. This was because I had been using it even before I started using the silicone. Now I just use the silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom