• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    First, let me say that I've shot this one a lot the last couple months, and really enjoy it!
    I had not shot it for a while, until almost the end of the year. Before getting re-acquainted with it, I read how they were banned from the Appleseed Shoot.
    So that day at the Range, it was constantly jamming, double feeding, and than a loud pop. I wondered if that one was out of battery? At this point I put it away, and shot my 10-22. This one never jams....but today too many times?
    It turned out to be the ammo I opened that day. Because when I returned to the Range with these rifles, and my .22 pistol, all which have liked Fed Auto M. in the past, none could shoot well at all.
    I brought a second box of Fed AutoMatch along with a different lot # which worked just fine in all 3....
    In the last couple months, shooting mostly CCI. my 15-22 has had no malfunctions. I have a red-dot on top, and use for off-hand shooting. I'm a little spoiled by its light weight. It has become one of my favorite guns :)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    My 15-22 had to go back for repairs. It was a jam o matic. Sent it back to S&W, and it was returned to my door, running.

It now runs well and eats about everything. I love it just as much as you do, and now that I have ammo for it, will break it out in the spring and go to town. It is my son's favorite as well.....

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Funny, I had some issues with Fed Auto Match purchased locally, in a M&P22C. Care to share the lot #? I will go and check mine and add it to this post. Kinda bummed me out since I bought a few 325 boxes from Dicks and then used a coupon at Cabelas. I have not tried a different box.

EDIT: 1GK115 is the lot number.

Last edited:

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Funny, I had some issues with Fed Auto Match purchased locally, in a M&P22C. Care to share the lot #? I will go and check mine and add it to this post. Kinda bummed me out since I bought a few 325 boxes from Dicks and then used a coupon at Cabelas. I have not tried a different box.

It was 1FG and a very low 3 digit #. I gave the second box to someone who has a .22 revolver. Sent him a text...for that number.....

Last edited:

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.

1FG098 was the lot#

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I loaded up 3 mags, 30 total rounds of Automatch. Lot 1GK115.

What a cluster. First mag, 100% malfunctions with M&P22C Suppressed. Most times it would not strip the next round. 2 times it FTE.

I was going to man up and get through the other 2 mags but round 11 stuck in the barrel and wouldn't come out. Makes me wonder if the problem is a dimensional one and the cases are dragging in my barrel.

So 11 for 11 malfunctions.:mad54:

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I run anything in mine and as long as I keep it clean no problems. Chris

My 15-22 has been good as well. Runs great with the Bucket O Bullets. Lots of fun shooting those steel matches with it.

Sorry I took this thread into an ammo focus, but when I read about the Fed AM it reminded me that I had issues.

I shipped my 15-22 barrel out to get threaded, so I will try and run this stuff in the rifle when it gets back. Chances are it will choke and I will relegate this box to bolt action ammo only.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have a box of Winchester 555 hollow point copper clad.

Had one "no fire" but otherwise ran well. I tried to put the bad round back in, and got another no fire on a different part of the rim. Definitely the round, not the gun.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I have a box of Winchester 555 hollow point copper clad.

Had one "no fire" but otherwise ran well. I tried to put the bad round back in, and got another no fire on a different part of the rim. Definitely the round, not the gun.

I went through a couple of boxes of that same ammo. Too many duds...in my other .22's as well.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I went through a couple of boxes of that same ammo. Too many duds...in my other .22's as well.

Well, "back in the days of .22 scarcity" wow I cannot believe I am saying that!

You bought what you could get your hands on..... And that was something that was available.....

:cool:

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012

True story, I gave away a box of Win 555 (with about 400 rounds) during the shortage because it was absolute crap in my 15-22. At the time it was my only 22LR gun and it was too aggravating to shoot with that ammo.

I will never buy Win 555 or WWB 9mm. Dead to me!

Just did a quick function check of 15 rounds of Aguila SuperExtra Subsonic 38gr in the below setup. 100% so far, which is good news!

Last edited:

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    True story, I gave away a box of Win 555 (with about 400 rounds) during the shortage because it was absolute crap in my 15-22. At the time it was my only 22LR gun and it was too aggravating to shoot with that ammo.

I will never buy Win 555 or WWB 9mm. Dead to me!

Just did a quick function check of 15 rounds of Aguila SuperExtra Subsonic 38gr in the below setup. 100% so far, which is good news!

I really like the look of that scope! What is it? I want to replace my red-dot.

I said the same thing "never again Win. 555" It was bought for me by a friend during the shortage from Walmart.
    I would rather pay a little more for CCI (and will try some new on list in owner's manual) than put up with 555.
    I can't go wrong with CCI Mini-Mags...it is the one brand all my .22's love. Always reliable. Glad it's been available here and there!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Before the 22LR shortage I would have never expected Winchester ammo issues. Now even the SuperX has issues. Misfires, inconsistent power, misfeeds. I hope they get the issue taken care of.

WWB in 9mm and 45 ACP have proven fine, never an issue. Even their steel case stuff works as long as the rounds don't hang up or drag on the magazine feedlips I have gotten very good accuracy results in 45 ACP.

Last edited:

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    That is a Lucid red dot. Can't remember the model, but works well enough. You can select 4 reticles, 1x, and runs on a AAA.

They can be had used for $120 or so.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    That is a Lucid red dot. Can't remember the model, but works well enough. You can select 4 reticles, 1x, and runs on a AAA.

They can be had used for $120 or so.

Nice looking scope I was eye balling it but I just hate anything that uses AAA batteries no matter what, I must had issues as a child but anything that uses AAA is dead to me will not even think about it.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Decided to tart up the 15-22 with a rail similar to my real ARs.

Found this, comes with a barrel wrench, for $71 shipped:

http://outdoor.bassdistributing.com...t-handguardvmp22ffkmr?search=Ncstar keymod 15

m-p15-22-keymod-free-float-handguard-different-lengths-[4]-427-p.jpg

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Rather than doing a "similar" one just get the Tacticool22 tool (like the one in the picture but you also need the pair of aluminum vise inserts because you can't use that tool and clamp the receiver or you will break the receiver). Then you use the Tacticool22 barrel nut adapter which converts the 15-22 to an AR thread, and then you can use any real AR handguard on your 15-22. I have used the same handguards on my 15-22 as I have on my 3-gun ARs and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom