• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Friends-I do not want to get on the bad side of the forum mod's ...been here for a long time so the questions is:

Is it allowable for a VA resident to sell a weapon (rifle/pistol) on MDSHOOTERS if the transfer was to happen in VA for a VA resident or MD for a MD resident (all FFL rules apply). I just have several safe queens I want to unload and would rather share them here first as opposed to Armslist.

I looked at the forum rules for classifieds, nothing this direct is addressed there (or I missed it). I did try to off load a few Beretta mag's to VA residents awhile ago but ran afoul of the excellent moderators on here..so treading lightly...

Thoughts?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Friends-I do not want to get on the bad side of the forum mod's ...been here for a long time so the questions is:

Is it allowable for a VA resident to sell a weapon (rifle/pistol) on MDSHOOTERS if the transfer was to happen in VA for a VA resident or MD for a MD resident (all FFL rules apply). I just have several safe queens I want to unload and would rather share them here first as opposed to Armslist.

I looked at the forum rules for classifieds, nothing this direct is addressed there (or I missed it). I did try to off load a few Beretta mag's to VA residents awhile ago but ran afoul of the excellent moderators on here..so treading lightly...

Thoughts?

Not sure if their is a rule on MDS ask Norton directly. but I thought if VA sells to MD it has to go MD ffl regulated or not.what say MDS

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've done it a few times with C&R firearms, but I note that I'm a VA resident and all federal laws regarding me disposing with my FFL03 apply.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've bought and sold firearms on this site several times. If I'm selling, most Marylanders come here and we do the transfer, since my FFLs do the transfers for a lot less than the Maryland FFLs charge. If I'm buying, I prefer getting the transfer done here versus in Maryland.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    They way I understand it, A rifle can transfer at an FFL in any State to a resident of any other State. Pistol must transfer at the Buyers Resident State FFL.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    An interstate long gun transfer is completely allowable and legal at any FFL, except for "Md regulated" long guns. And as previously noted, handgun transfers must occur at an FFL iin the buyer's state of residence.
    And if any of the above is incorrect, please tell me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No longer any Md Regulated long guns. Previously Regulated long guns are now Banned .

As to OP's question , I can't think of any problems with doing so , so long as the items are Md legal . It would be curtious to mention in each ad that the items are located in Va, and require FFL transfer, as this may be a potential factor foe buyers, and they would like to know upfront to figure into their decision making .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you read the Classifieds policy, you can't post anything banned in MD by SB281, even for sale in another state, such as, removable magazines > 10 rounds.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    If you read the Classifieds policy, you can't post anything banned in MD by SB281, even for sale in another state, such as, removable magazines > 10 rounds.

This makes sense, as the forum is geared toward MD residents.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI, If you have any items that are C&R then a MD C&R holder can travel down there to purchase it. Even if you don't have a C&R yourself.
    Once you make your polite conversations and get your post count up to 50+, you can post them up in classifieds and make sure you mention in the add if its C&R.

coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Thanks friends-I shot the PM to Norton, although I imagine he is busy with the rest of my fellow members; so I will wait and see. These items would go fast on Armslist but since I have been on here since 2009, keep my posts to a minimum (above 50 though) but relevant to the forum, know whats legal and not legal in MD (researched the hell out of it) I try to support the local community (even when I ran away from MD), I thought I would not be the first with this quandary.

Thanks to the posters who stayed on target to the original request. Its those damn left and right lateral limits that get us every time.. :-)

Thanks friends... :-)

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Once upon a time, I wondered why MD gun shops would list on their website guns illegal to sell to MD residents. Then I figured that they are trying to cover clients from other states. That business model makes sense for them, but it did cause me some confusion in the beginning, as I had to figure out that I can / can't buy beforehand.
    Back to this forum, the administrators probably want to 1) take a narrower interpretation of the law, and provide a more focused content to the intended audience, MD residents. At least that's how I feel, and that makes sense.
    I bet there are many new users like me who would appreciate seeing things listed for sale that complies with MD laws, no matter how silly the laws may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom