• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    This is a follow-up to a post a couple of weeks ago.

I will be buying an Airsoft rifle for my soon-to-be 7 year old grandson. Primarily because he can shoot it in town...in my backyard any time he wants. And since he has trouble cocking my air rifles, I like the idea of an electric version that he won't have to worry about cocking.

He is a deadeye with his Nerf rifle and the accuracy of target shooting has definitely captured his attention.

So what would be specific make/model recommendations for an Airsoft rifle somewhere hopefully $200 or less range that would be accurate out to 25-50 yards?

And any recommendations for target systems suitable for a backyard range?

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I am by no means an expert....as I don't play airsoft....but I have a few airsoft guns. An electric MP5 that I recently upgraded the motor....and a Gas blow back .45. I bought mine to primarily stay up To speed with handing and weapon transitions... it depends on what you plan on teaching....there are tons of AEG (electric) replicas....but that comes with batteries and a charger and proper care of batteries...any of the springer style sniper rifles will allow marksmanship training. Those are bolt action...and pretty dang accurate...I've been researching them recently to get one for fun....harass the squirrels....

https://www.evike.com/shop/21/672/950/

https://www.amazon.com/BBTac-Airsof...9GMPW4C#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

These are what I was looking at....and there are upgrades that can be done down the road if needed or wanted that give it more oomph ....

https://www.airsoftgi.com/product/W...Sniper-Rifle-Upgrade-Piston-Set-Silver-14617/

Hopefully someone that is way more versed can chime in....

This is the video of my umarex MP5...

https://youtu.be/-zJgglr1a_8

My target box has a folder sheet inside to stop the plastic BBs from traveling thru the box...they are biodegradable too ..so outside, I just let them fly ...they come in different weights too....the .12 weight that Wally world carries are poo....you need heavier... .20 or higher to maintain a straight trajectory....airsoft forums are your friend....and generally full of decent people. Keep us updated on what you choose to go with.

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk

Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    Where are you located, I could sell you 2 electric guns, (an m4a1 and ak47u) plus spare mags for 200ish if your interested, you'll just need batteries

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I picked up a G&G cm16 with battery and charger for about 160 bucks on evike. I've played games with it a few times and it's been great. The plastic rear sight was junk so I put a Sig Romeo 5 on it and it's much better. It's pretty accurate for a smooth bore and plastic bbs

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I used to work as an airsoft gun tech in my teenage days. G&G airsoft guns are pretty good starter guns.

Accuracy is solely dependent on the hop up system (Mechanism that puts a backspin on the bb to make it more bouyant, i.e. Magnus effect), inner barrel quality, and quality of the BB's. 25-50 yard accuracy is standard for mid tier quality stock gun with a 363mm barrel length (standard airsoft AR length). I don't want to overbear with too much information, but these airsoft guns are definitely upgradeable, especially AR platforms. The cheapest and easiest upgrade are quality BB's. I wouldn't go any lower than .25g in weight and experiment with different brands

As for targets, hung up old frying pans and pots make great steel targets that 'ping' when hit. Have them at angled downward so they will ricochet down and wear eyepro.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I'm on the Eastern Shore...about 10 miles east of the end of the Bay Bridge ending at Kent Island.

I don't know much of anything at all...yet...about these guns. Who made them? How much are batteries and how easy are they to find?

And how accurate are these particular model rifles? I assume that they look like at AR and like an AK-47? Where could I find more info about these rifles?

Sorry to ask such basic questions. This is my first venture into the world of AirSoft.

Where are you located, I could sell you 2 electric guns, (an m4a1 and ak47u) plus spare mags for 200ish if your interested, you'll just need batteries

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'm on the Eastern Shore...about 10 miles east of the end of the Bay Bridge ending at Kent Island.

I don't know much of anything at all...yet...about these guns. Who made them? How much are batteries and how easy are they to find?

And how accurate are these particular model rifles? I assume that they look like at AR and like an AK-47? Where could I find more info about these rifles?

Sorry to ask such basic questions. This is my first venture into the world of AirSoft.

most of the electric guns, (AEGs) use a butterfly style 9.6v battery. Some might use better lithium ones but either way they are easily found on amazon. The 9.7 NiMH ones are about 20 bucks. They have been lasting a good while for me. There are some airsoft stores around, you might be able to find some near you where you could look in person and maybe try some.

this is the one that I bought. The price has gone up some. When i bought it in the spring the battery and charger combo was on for 165 which was cheaper than just the gun itself. A battery is 20 bucks on amazon and a battery and charger is about 34 so sometimes the combo is not the better deal, right now its over $40 dollars more to include the battery/charger so thats not a deal. Cheaper to buy just the gun and order a battery from amazon.

https://www.evike.com/products/33557/

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    25 yards is plenty good IMO for offhand work for a 7 year old. YUP, they can bounce back alright. been there done that. My kids had an airsoft plinking range in the back yard they could shoot off the deck or grass in the old house before they grew out of it. We backed up to the woods. I think his green gas (propane) was full auto.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    25 yards is plenty good IMO for offhand work for a 7 year old. YUP, they can bounce back alright. been there done that. My kids had an airsoft plinking range in the back yard they could shoot off the deck or grass in the old house before they grew out of it. We backed up to the woods. I think his green gas (propane) was full auto.

Oh yeah, most of the electrics are select fire too. The one i linked above is semi or auto. Lots of fun.

Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021

I'll need to get home so I could find out more about them. I'll comment again when what I find

Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021

https://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-pulse-r76-aeg-airsoft-rifle.html
    this is definitely the ak style of the rifles

https://www.airsoftgi.com/product/L...-M4A1-Carbine-AEG-Airsoft-Rifle-Option-32931/
    And this is the closest I can find to the m4.
    And the batteries are easy enough to find

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom