Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:56 PM #21
Mightydog's Avatar
Mightydog Mightydog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Occupied Marylinistan
Posts: 1,394
Mightydog Mightydog is offline
Senior Member
Mightydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Occupied Marylinistan
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTom View Post
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?
No, tried a few years back, got sponsored but had to go out of town when they had their meeting. Haven't tried again. I'm just a couple houses down from the one that went up.
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:51 PM #22
dualhead dualhead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
dualhead dualhead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I appreciate all the replies.
lots of food for thought.
dualhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:57 PM #23
fidelity's Avatar
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 11,321
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
fidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 11,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTom View Post
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?
You're back! 👍

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
__________________
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.” - John Wayne
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:11 PM #24
cowboywildbill's Avatar
cowboywildbill cowboywildbill is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Originialy from The peoples Republic of Md. in Northern Fredneck County Now in the Southeast USA
Posts: 257
cowboywildbill cowboywildbill is offline
Member
cowboywildbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Originialy from The peoples Republic of Md. in Northern Fredneck County Now in the Southeast USA
Posts: 257
Rocky Ridge is good and Thurmont is OK
We lived in Thurmont for many years it really grew and changed but is still a great town and has a good police Force. Then we moved to a farm in Rocky Ridge and stayed there for about 8 years it was great. No houses near us. Great neighbors and we could hunt and target shoot there on our property and our neighbors property. We helped some of them farm.
No one freaked if they saw someone target shooting on their own property. Everyone around us was 2 A friendly.
cowboywildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM #25
Mr.Blue's Avatar
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
Mr.Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.
Mr.Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM #26
ADR's Avatar
ADR ADR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 2,426
ADR ADR is offline
Senior Member
ADR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
__________________
Liberals demonstrate the kind of stupid required to have one's ass on fire and still not know where the smoke is coming from.
ADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 02:54 PM #27
Mr.Blue's Avatar
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
Mr.Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.
Mr.Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM #28
FireAtWill's Avatar
FireAtWill FireAtWill is offline
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Frederick
Posts: 31
FireAtWill FireAtWill is offline
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
FireAtWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Frederick
Posts: 31
Have lived all over the US and have spent the last 16 years in Frederick. Our 2 kids went through the FredCo school system, off to college and came back here to work. Both were well aware of drugs in their schools and our community as well as other issues. As with everywhere else we lived, IMO, it's about parenting and just teaching your kids to make good choices. Frederick is beginning to pay the price for its desire to annex everything in sight and develop commercially and residentially. I watched the same thing happen to my hometown in PA. The small town feel isn't what it used to be, but it's still a great place to live...for now...in spite of Maryland politics and taxes. I definitely won't retire here, but have enjoyed my stay. Hiking and hunting in the mountains is 10 minutes away, as are trout streams and creeks. Getting away from the stress of DC and Baltimore life is only a short 4WD away on a local network of fire roads. As with any move, do your research...some areas are preferable to others, depending on your personal priorities. Take a hard look at development and future road network plans. Good luck.
__________________
NRA Member
MD Designated Collector
Patriot Guard Rider
FireAtWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:16 AM #29
tsmith1499's Avatar
tsmith1499 tsmith1499 is offline
Poor C&R Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern Mount Airy, Md.
Posts: 3,828
tsmith1499 tsmith1499 is offline
Poor C&R Collector
tsmith1499's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern Mount Airy, Md.
Posts: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.
This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club
MD Designated Collector
MSI Member
MSRPA Member
C&R 03 FFL


"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."
tsmith1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:17 AM #30
Mr.Blue's Avatar
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
Mr.Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1499 View Post
This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.
Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, I can complain about it if I want to. I paid plenty for my house. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?
Mr.Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:32 AM #31
tsmith1499's Avatar
tsmith1499 tsmith1499 is offline
Poor C&R Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern Mount Airy, Md.
Posts: 3,828
tsmith1499 tsmith1499 is offline
Poor C&R Collector
tsmith1499's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern Mount Airy, Md.
Posts: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, Mr. Preacher, I can complain about it if I want to. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?
I apologize for the way that sounded. It wasn't particularly aimed at you but you really have to follow things through to the end result. More houses means more infrastructure needs which would include stores and businesses. I have lived in MoCo all of my life, 58 years, and have seen the steady decline of the Frederick area. In another 20 years it will look just like MoCo. They said it would never happen to Frederick 25 years ago.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club
MD Designated Collector
MSI Member
MSRPA Member
C&R 03 FFL


"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."
tsmith1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:23 PM #32
Mr.Blue's Avatar
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
Mr.Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1499 View Post
I apologize for the way that sounded. It wasn't particularly aimed at you but you really have to follow things through to the end result. More houses means more infrastructure needs which would include stores and businesses. I have lived in MoCo all of my life, 58 years, and have seen the steady decline of the Frederick area. In another 20 years it will look just like MoCo. They said it would never happen to Frederick 25 years ago.
No worries, my friend. I fear you are right that it will look like MoCo. Ugh!!
Mr.Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:33 PM #33
DCSCO DCSCO is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 1,341
DCSCO DCSCO is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 1,341
Residential property taxes do not cover the burden of the residences. Commercial property taxes carry more burden than residential. A town with no commercial property will be poorer of have fewer services.
DCSCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:51 PM #34
Mightydog's Avatar
Mightydog Mightydog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Occupied Marylinistan
Posts: 1,394
Mightydog Mightydog is offline
Senior Member
Mightydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Occupied Marylinistan
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, I can complain about it if I want to. I paid plenty for my house. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?


I totally understand you. When I moved to Myersville in Jan 90 we had a ball field where the fire station is, we had a highs and the area past the post office on rt17 was all wetlands. Just started to build Ashley and meadow ridge subdivisions. Then the people came from out of county and the first thing they wanted was ball fields, a pool for their many children and more. So then they rezoned the protected wetland area and built their ball fields. Then they needed a path from Main Street to get there. Luckily no community pool (yet). I would like a library in town. Middletown is the same with building of a strip mall across from the golf course area. And I live directly across from a farm on the gun club road. No problem for me!
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:54 PM #35
Mr.Blue's Avatar
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Mr.Blue Mr.Blue is online now
Member
Mr.Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Far From DC Both Literally and Figuratively
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSCO View Post
Residential property taxes do not cover the burden of the residences. Commercial property taxes carry more burden than residential. A town with no commercial property will be poorer of have fewer services.
I'd rather pay more taxes than have our small town built up.
Mr.Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 01:33 AM #36
Blacksmith101 Blacksmith101 is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,750
Blacksmith101 Blacksmith101 is offline
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,750
If you are willing to go to Thurmont cross the line and live in the Good Old US of A.
Blacksmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:00 AM #37
GodOfVice GodOfVice is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: In a galaxy that isn't too far away.
Posts: 564
GodOfVice GodOfVice is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: In a galaxy that isn't too far away.
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
Frederick is nothing more than DC/Balto Lite, getting worse every day.
Even Waldorf had it's day.... small time gambling joints and St Charles was but a twinkle in some developers eye and it was country. I think this country is pretty much full up and we really don't need any immigration from anywhere any longer..
GodOfVice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:03 AM #38
Whitey Whitey is offline
Collector and involved.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central MD
Posts: 296
Whitey Whitey is offline
Collector and involved.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central MD
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
If you are willing to go to Thurmont cross the line and live in the Good Old US of A.
That's what I did. Paying more taxes than down here, but you can get WAY more house for the money. same commute time. My neighbor has roosters and chickens and I much rather have that than what I had to deal with down here.

Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2016, Maryland Shooters, LLC