Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Notices

Old January 10th, 2017, 10:04 PM #11

We moved from Montgomery county 12 years ago to the north side of Frederick. We moved because the schools were better and to get away from the "idiots" ("Idiots" does not refer to anyone on this forum!). With one son out of high school now and two still in high school, I know we made the right decision. Now, it has changed a lot in 12 years, but what I have found is that most people have moved up here for the same reasons we did. There is more of a sense of community here than I never saw in Mont. Co. I grew up in Rockville and it was a great place to grow up but, everything changes.

As far as drugs go...yep it's up here. It's up here, down there, over there, it's everywhere. With 3 teenage boys, we are very vigilant. We talk OFTEN about the subject. I am a strong believer that you, the parent, will make the biggest impact. We eat dinner as a family, and there is no topic off limits during dinner. There isn't one of my kids friends that we don't know the parents. That's one of the benefits to living in a small town. We fish the Monocacy river in the summer, hunt on local farms, and even joined a close by gun club a few years ago. It's a great place to raise kids.

My only regret is that I didn't move up here sooner!
durkspunk2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:20 PM #12

I lived in historic laurel just off main street for years, and while there was crime, the police were extremely vigilant too, and now, off in the wilds of ho co, i feel more alone in this regard. Laurel had a much greater police presence. For what its worth...
Kiwiknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:23 PM #13

I beilieve the drugs are just as prevalent in clarksville as they were in lurel, and in many ways even more dangerous because they are at h.s. Parties, and so come with peer pressure.

My son is 8 and we already have this, "talk"
Kiwiknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:40 PM #14
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Frederick County is whatever you make of it and how well you raise your kids. There are some places that are good and some places that are bad in the city/county, but that is the same anywhere.

At least in FredCo, the local county government is more responsive about a lot more things than most would expect. Our Sheriff spoke against FSA 2013 and has vowed to uphold federal immigration laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:14 AM #15

A buncha years ago there used to be areas with minimal drug presence. But since the predominantly rural proliferation of Meth , drugs are everywhere .

The only thing about Thurmont, is once you decide to move that far, its only 10min farther to Pa .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:33 AM #16
Sunken Treasure

Sunken Treasure

I like Frederick, never had a problem myself. I do read there are some neighborhoods that are somewhat bad. But every city has it's weakness. I like it mostly for the reason 10 minutes of driving gets you into rural America and it is beautiful.

C&R FFL03
GunnerGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:07 AM #17
Insane in the mainframe

Insane in the mainframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerGunz View Post
I like Frederick, never had a problem myself. I do read there are some neighborhoods that are somewhat bad. But every city has it's weakness. I like it mostly for the reason 10 minutes of driving gets you into rural America and it is beautiful.
Let's not forget that if you drive 15 minutes in any direction, you'll find a 550 owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
Have lived in Myersville since Jan 1990. No problems, don't even think about it until a few years ago when some punk torched a neighbors house because of a bad drug deal with their son. I actually saw the kid leaving the house with a gas can. Since caught and convicted. Like everywhere else need to keep your eyes open and PARENT! Thurmont is ok, should go about 10 miles further into PA.
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?

Either With Your Shield or On It!
ATTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:20 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I don't know what the current situation is but Thurmont used to have some of the most KKK activity in MD.
There are many nice people that live there but... Not very culturally diverse in Thurmont.
Having lived in Thurmont from the age of 5 to the age of 22- I have an idea about the area.

The Klan image has outlived it's time. Yes when I moved there in 1992- I saw klan standing on the town square handing out pamphlets. About that same year the town said enough and kicked them out from having rallies in the town park. Furthermore the amount of people native to Thurmont is dwindled compared to the amout of transplants. Thurmont has changed immeasurably since I was a kid growing up on a farm.

It not being diverse is not a plus but it's not something to hold against the town- it's just a fact.

As far as drugs there are no more there than anywhere else.

Either With Your Shield or On It!
ATTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:16 PM #20

My wife and I have 2 teens and a young one. We both serve in the high school ministries program at our church. I hear the kids there talk quite a bit about drug problems at school and in their neighborhoods. It's definitely prevalent in Frederick and Thurmont. I think that getting them around good influences their age and establishing good communication with our kids has been very important. If you would like to check out a great family church in the area we'd love to have you join us some time and see the kids' programs.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region