Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Notices

Old January 7th, 2017, 08:03 PM #1

Crime in Frederick County

Hey gang, my family and I are considering moving to Thurmont. I have been there many time to go to Cunningham Falls Park, Catoctin Mountain Park etc. I have been asking friends in Frederick about what the county is like and have received mostly positive feedback. I do however hear often about the drug (Specifically opiate) problem that has been an issue in the county for a number of years. I have two small children and both mine and my wife's family have had histories of drug/alcohol abuse. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this issue in the area and what your thoughts are. I am a very active parent and have very pointed talks with my boys about drugs, sex etc.
dualhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:41 PM #2

I live in Middletown and hear the same things you have. I think the major drug problem is localized to the few bad areas in the areas around the town. I don't think you have to worry about it anymore than you would anywhere else.

I grew up in a very affluent area of NJ in the 80s. There were drugs of all kinds available all over. We had a couple "21 JumpStreet" undercover cops as students the drugs were that bad. However, I never gave it a second thought. Parents raised me correctly like it sounds like you are. In my 40s now and a few friends from those days are dead of drug over doses. Also had 14 kids in my graduating class of 200 go to Ivy League colleges. Looking back the ones who ended up gone or down the wrong path had bad parents. I would never have been able to discern the connection of parenting to that in my teens but I see it now. I'm not saying all good parents are going to have drug free kids but I can see the correlation.

I think the drug problem here is no different than anywhere else. My worry with having a young child is the fact MD is going to legalize marijuana at some point. Not looking forward to that.
pilot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:52 AM #3

We live on the south side of Frederick, Tuscarora school distrct.... NO WHERE is drug free... Its all in how you raise your child. School district is good, lot of college bound kids, good athletics; but also supposedly some "gang" activity.... One school in town had a shooting last year during a basketball game. Our youngest is very involved in his hockey and schooling... gets good grades and wants to play college hockey.... Homes are cheaper near Thurmont or on the other side of the mountain in Middletown... Its nice, we like it here.... just dont like MD politics
Sewer Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 06:58 AM #4

I live just outside of Frederick (out towards Libertytown). As previous poster stated NO town is drug free. Yes, there are a couple of neighborhoods that should be avoided at night, but my wife and I feel very safe in downtown Frederick when going out to dinner and shopping. We have no worries about going anywhere in Frederick with our grandkids. As always be vigilant. I certainly feel a whole lot safer than Mont.Co (where I used to live) and feel much safer than most of DC where I work often.
Truth, Justice and the American Way!
esrepairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:07 AM #5

Well, they didn't come up with the name of Fredrock for nothing. But drugs are EVERYWHERE OP! There's really no getting around that. It's more so nowadays than ever about choices, than it is about location. Help your kids with theirs. And if you're a praying man, some of that probably can't hurt either.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:11 AM #6

Here is the link to the Frederick County Crime map;

http://maps.frederickcountymd.gov/Ht...Config/Default

Some places are much worse that others, a lot of the druggies/punks don't travel far to do their car & house break ins.
ted76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:30 AM #7

Frederick County is nice overall, in my opinion, even though I really dislike Md. Downtown Frederick is great for a night dining out, lots of nice shops also. We moved up here from Germantown about 23 years ago, no regrets about the move at all.

OP, if you're looking for property to build, we have 4.81 acres in Thurmont, heavily wooded with stream up for sale, just on the Frederick side of Thurmont.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:30 AM #8

Crime in Frederick County

I've been surprised, given a recent civic assignment, at the level of drug activity here in fdrk county.

Being on 70 and in close proximity to 81, let alone D.C. And Baltimore explains the distribution networks and supply. Fdrk, like many communities is having a challenge with opiod use/overdoses and as the county/city has grown, there are increased frequencies (or maybe FNP is just reporting more of them) to crimes against persons. There have been recent stabbing son market street and firearm discharges in the city.

Thurmont is a smaller and a more 'sleepy' community but isn't immune to the drug trade - research fnp archive for a fall '16 story about drugs being sold from the Burger King.

I'd suggest you subscribe to the Frederick news post to get consistent updates on the happenings within the county. Drug use, impact are frequent stories in the paper. There was yet another indictment handed down this week for Herion distribution.

Here is today's front page.

We've raised our 4 daughters here in fdrk for the past 20 years and are looking forward to relocating when our youngest graduates from HS. She attends Oakdale HS and while there is not an acute drug problem, there is certainly some level of activity. Oakdale is the HS where a youngster brought a loaded pistol to school the week before Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:06 AM #9

I don't know what the current situation is but Thurmont used to have some of the most KKK activity in MD.
There are many nice people that live there but... Not very culturally diverse in Thurmont.

Thoughts on Gun Control by - Stefan Molyneux

There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:31 AM #10

Have lived in Myersville since Jan 1990. No problems, don't even think about it until a few years ago when some punk torched a neighbors house because of a bad drug deal with their son. I actually saw the kid leaving the house with a gas can. Since caught and convicted. Like everywhere else need to keep your eyes open and PARENT! Thurmont is ok, should go about 10 miles further into PA.
Attached Images

Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:04 PM #11

We moved from Montgomery county 12 years ago to the north side of Frederick. We moved because the schools were better and to get away from the "idiots" ("Idiots" does not refer to anyone on this forum!). With one son out of high school now and two still in high school, I know we made the right decision. Now, it has changed a lot in 12 years, but what I have found is that most people have moved up here for the same reasons we did. There is more of a sense of community here than I never saw in Mont. Co. I grew up in Rockville and it was a great place to grow up but, everything changes.

As far as drugs go...yep it's up here. It's up here, down there, over there, it's everywhere. With 3 teenage boys, we are very vigilant. We talk OFTEN about the subject. I am a strong believer that you, the parent, will make the biggest impact. We eat dinner as a family, and there is no topic off limits during dinner. There isn't one of my kids friends that we don't know the parents. That's one of the benefits to living in a small town. We fish the Monocacy river in the summer, hunt on local farms, and even joined a close by gun club a few years ago. It's a great place to raise kids.

My only regret is that I didn't move up here sooner!
durkspunk2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:20 PM #12

I lived in historic laurel just off main street for years, and while there was crime, the police were extremely vigilant too, and now, off in the wilds of ho co, i feel more alone in this regard. Laurel had a much greater police presence. For what its worth...
Kiwiknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:23 PM #13

I beilieve the drugs are just as prevalent in clarksville as they were in lurel, and in many ways even more dangerous because they are at h.s. Parties, and so come with peer pressure.

My son is 8 and we already have this, "talk"
Kiwiknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:40 PM #14
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Frederick County is whatever you make of it and how well you raise your kids. There are some places that are good and some places that are bad in the city/county, but that is the same anywhere.

At least in FredCo, the local county government is more responsive about a lot more things than most would expect. Our Sheriff spoke against FSA 2013 and has vowed to uphold federal immigration laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:14 AM #15

A buncha years ago there used to be areas with minimal drug presence. But since the predominantly rural proliferation of Meth , drugs are everywhere .

The only thing about Thurmont, is once you decide to move that far, its only 10min farther to Pa .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:33 AM #16
Sunken Treasure

Sunken Treasure

I like Frederick, never had a problem myself. I do read there are some neighborhoods that are somewhat bad. But every city has it's weakness. I like it mostly for the reason 10 minutes of driving gets you into rural America and it is beautiful.

C&R FFL03
GunnerGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:07 AM #17
Insane in the mainframe

Insane in the mainframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerGunz View Post
I like Frederick, never had a problem myself. I do read there are some neighborhoods that are somewhat bad. But every city has it's weakness. I like it mostly for the reason 10 minutes of driving gets you into rural America and it is beautiful.
Let's not forget that if you drive 15 minutes in any direction, you'll find a 550 owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:16 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
Have lived in Myersville since Jan 1990. No problems, don't even think about it until a few years ago when some punk torched a neighbors house because of a bad drug deal with their son. I actually saw the kid leaving the house with a gas can. Since caught and convicted. Like everywhere else need to keep your eyes open and PARENT! Thurmont is ok, should go about 10 miles further into PA.
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?

Either With Your Shield or On It!
ATTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:20 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
I don't know what the current situation is but Thurmont used to have some of the most KKK activity in MD.
There are many nice people that live there but... Not very culturally diverse in Thurmont.
Having lived in Thurmont from the age of 5 to the age of 22- I have an idea about the area.

The Klan image has outlived it's time. Yes when I moved there in 1992- I saw klan standing on the town square handing out pamphlets. About that same year the town said enough and kicked them out from having rallies in the town park. Furthermore the amount of people native to Thurmont is dwindled compared to the amout of transplants. Thurmont has changed immeasurably since I was a kid growing up on a farm.

It not being diverse is not a plus but it's not something to hold against the town- it's just a fact.

As far as drugs there are no more there than anywhere else.

Either With Your Shield or On It!
ATTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM #20

My wife and I have 2 teens and a young one. We both serve in the high school ministries program at our church. I hear the kids there talk quite a bit about drug problems at school and in their neighborhoods. It's definitely prevalent in Frederick and Thurmont. I think that getting them around good influences their age and establishing good communication with our kids has been very important. If you would like to check out a great family church in the area we'd love to have you join us some time and see the kids' programs.

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region