Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Notices

Old January 11th, 2017, 03:56 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTom View Post
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?
No, tried a few years back, got sponsored but had to go out of town when they had their meeting. Haven't tried again. I'm just a couple houses down from the one that went up.
Mightydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:51 PM #22

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I appreciate all the replies.
lots of food for thought.
dualhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:57 PM #23
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTom View Post
That's right up the road from my gun club. are you a member?
You're back! 👍

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:11 PM #24

Location: Originialy from The peoples Republic of Md. in Northern Fredneck County Now in the Southeast USA

Location: Originialy from The peoples Republic of Md. in Northern Fredneck County Now in the Southeast USA
Rocky Ridge is good and Thurmont is OK
We lived in Thurmont for many years it really grew and changed but is still a great town and has a good police Force. Then we moved to a farm in Rocky Ridge and stayed there for about 8 years it was great. No houses near us. Great neighbors and we could hunt and target shoot there on our property and our neighbors property. We helped some of them farm.
No one freaked if they saw someone target shooting on their own property. Everyone around us was 2 A friendly.
cowboywildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:20 AM #25

I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.
Mr.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 12:11 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
I also live in Middletown and love it. We moved from Olney in MoCo to find a nice place to raise our daughter. I just wish they'd stop trying to build up the area, as Middletown's small town charm is what attracted me in the first place. For the people who look down on "non-diverse" areas, you probably wouldn't like Middletown. It's safe as can be in today's America.
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:54 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Well to be fair, people like you moving from Montgomery County and elsewhere are why they built it up to begin with. I remember when it was literally all farm land when you came over Braddock Mountain. Pretty much fields until you hit the older colonial homes.
True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:03 PM #28
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Have lived all over the US and have spent the last 16 years in Frederick. Our 2 kids went through the FredCo school system, off to college and came back here to work. Both were well aware of drugs in their schools and our community as well as other issues. As with everywhere else we lived, IMO, it's about parenting and just teaching your kids to make good choices. Frederick is beginning to pay the price for its desire to annex everything in sight and develop commercially and residentially. I watched the same thing happen to my hometown in PA. The small town feel isn't what it used to be, but it's still a great place to live...for now...in spite of Maryland politics and taxes. I definitely won't retire here, but have enjoyed my stay. Hiking and hunting in the mountains is 10 minutes away, as are trout streams and creeks. Getting away from the stress of DC and Baltimore life is only a short 4WD away on a local network of fire roads. As with any move, do your research...some areas are preferable to others, depending on your personal priorities. Take a hard look at development and future road network plans. Good luck.
FireAtWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:16 AM #29
Poor C&R Collector

Poor C&R Collector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Quote:
True, but I'm talking more about adding stores and potentially apartments. I don't mind houses. I haven't been in MD too long, but I had to get out of MoCo right away.
This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.
MSI Member
MSRPA Member
C&R 03 FFL

"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."
tsmith1499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:17 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1499 View Post
This is what has always baffled me about a lot of people that moved from MoCo to Frederick. They all get mad when they start getting more populated. I don't want to sound like an a$$ but your not the only one that wants to live in the "country". How do you think Frederick got so built up to begin with? Who remembers when the ONLY place to shop was either downtown Frederick or the Golden Mile? There was literally NOTHING between 85 and 355 until you got up to Evergreen Point. And there was NOTHING past 270 going south except farms.

The other issue is all the people that wanted to live out in a rural area and they moved right next to a farm. Then when the smells of the farm got a little to intense for them, they want to shut the farmer down. That's a whole different thing though and only applies to a few people. Don't get mad because progress is coming your way. Get more land in Ag preservation. Go to planning board meetings. Then you won't have to worry about apartments.
Clearly you didn't read my post. I don't want STORES AND BUSINESSES going up! I'm fine with houses, as long as they are not "affordable housing". Some of the people I know that have lived in Middletown for a long time tell me that it was so hard for SUBWAY to get approved, yet now they are adding more and more commercial properties. These properties are not needed.

I'm sorry, I can complain about it if I want to. I paid plenty for my house. I only lived in MoCo for a little bit, as I was relocated here from Wisconsin and didn't know anything about the area. I also don't complain about the smells of the farms and would never expect existing businesses to change their ways because I am now here. I don't want this area to turn into MoCo. Nothing wrong with that. I have a 2 hour commute each way some days. How much further can I move to get away from undesirables?

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region