Need advice on getting guns registed to me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevedub

Oct 22, 2016
    Hello All -

Gonna try and keep this short and sweet.

1.My father passed away in 2007.
    2.My mother had me take all the guns.
    3.Mother moved out of state to MN.
    4.Want to sell a majority of the guns I do not use.
    5.Turns out the guns were not called out and therefor never transfered to my mom.

My question is were do I even start? Is there a way to get the guns registered in my name or at least in my moms name then have her transfer them to me? Should we go back to the lawyer that worked with her on the estate and say by the way we have guns there were never specifically called out and work with them on getting them at minimum registered moms name?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Which state are you in? Assuming Maryland, are we talking hunting rifles and shotguns? Guns impacted by the 2013 FSA (like non-heavy-barrel AR15s, that sorta thing)? Handguns?

You're asking about a situation that's highly, entirely dependent on all the nitty gritty details. So, need a lot more info.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Legally I think the guns still belong to your mom, and she can transfer them to you. Sounds like you may benefit from talking with the lawyer, perhaps they provide so free advice since they already got paid, can't hurt to ask.

stevedub

Oct 22, 2016
    Which state are you in? Assuming Maryland, are we talking hunting rifles and shotguns? Guns impacted by the 2013 FSA (like non-heavy-barrel AR15s, that sorta thing)? Handguns?

You're asking about a situation that's highly, entirely dependent on all the nitty gritty details. So, need a lot more info.

The rifles are all hunting / comp target, nothing questionable.

The issue is I also have about 5 pistols.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    IANAL but:

As they were not listed in the will the guns because your mom's property when your dad died. Interfamily transfers of firearms are legal.....your mom giving them to you was a legal transfer.

Owning and selling unregistered firearms is legal, so long as all current firearm transfer laws are met.

If you want to sell them then sell them. Regulated firearms must go through MSP/FFL. Rifles and shotguns are cash and carry (until October 2020)

stevedub

Oct 22, 2016
    Legally I think the guns still belong to your mom, and she can transfer them to you. Sounds like you may benefit from talking with the lawyer, perhaps they provide so free advice since they already got paid, can't hurt to ask.

Ok, I agree and have been trying to convince her but will have to push harder. My biggest issue it the pistols, I do not currently have a HQL and unfortunately am in possession of them so I want to get this handled ASAP. Appreciate the feedback.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Ok, I agree and have been trying to convince her but will have to push harder. My biggest issue it the pistols, I do not currently have a HQL and unfortunately am in possession of them so I want to get this handled ASAP. Appreciate the feedback.

The HQL didn't exist in 2007 when you took possession of the handguns, and you don't need one now to possess them, nor do you need a HQL to sell said handguns.

The handguns have to be transferred through a FFL or MSP when you sell them. A MD buyer would need a HQL, unless they are exempt.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    IANAL but:

As they were not listed in the will the guns because your mom's property when your dad died. Interfamily transfers of firearms are legal.....your mom giving them to you was a legal transfer.

Owning and selling unregistered firearms is legal, so long as all current firearm transfer laws are met.

If you want to sell them then sell them. Regulated firearms must go through MSP/FFL. Rifles and shotguns are cash and carry (until October 2020)

I thought that was vetoed - will need an override vote. If successful, will take effect immediately, or so I believe. Most likely Jan 2021.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    IANAL but:

If his father passed on without a Last Will & Testament, his mother gets a portion of the estate and all of his father's children get a portion of the estate. So many people have this so incorrect. The spouse does not inherit everything unless there are no kids.

Spouse gets the first $15,000 and half of the remaining estate. Children/descendants divide up the rest. It gets a little complicated IF a child has passed, but the child has children (i.e., grand children of the decedent).

Was an estate even created?

So many questions, but this is what happens when people come to a chatboard seeking legal advice for free.

OP - you get what you pay for, even from me, an attorney.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-maryland.html

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The handguns become problematic, because even though the HQL did not exist back in 2007, Form 77R. The question is whether a regulated firearm could have been gifted/inherited by a family member back in 2007 without having to go through MSP or an FFL. I do not know the answer to that off the top of my head. If it could be inherited, but not gifted, then I would take the position that the OP took the firearms from the estate as his share of his inheritance.

Is there a Last Will & Testament? If so, it usually deals with all the property, if not specially named within the Will, then via a residuary clause.

Again, so many questions, so little information.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'd suggest taking a boat ride and have an accident. As far is the government is concerned they were yours all along. Shhh

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Rifles and shotguns are cash and carry indefinitely until new laws are passed. The nonsensical bill was vetoed.

Vetoes can be overruled by a vote in the next general assembly. It will be one of the first things they take up in January 2021.

When Trump gets reelected and appoints a couple more Supreme Court Justices that uphold the constitution there could be a ruling on what the 2nd Amendment really means in which case that law and a lot of others may go the way of the Dodo bird.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nitpicking words - A veto , in some circumstances , can be overridden by the Same General Assembly at the start of next Session . In this particular instance , they can .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom