• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terps

Apr 26, 2020
    I am considering running the gauntlet for the MD CCW. I hear that “recently” the good and substantial reason area is a bit easier than it used to be. I’d be interested in finding out if any on this board have done their training recently and would recommend a site in and around Frederick or Rockville, and if you’d have advice on the wording for good and substantial reason.

Thanks in advance.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I am considering running the gauntlet for the MD CCW. I hear that “recently” the good and substantial reason area is a bit easier than it used to be. I’d be interested in finding out if any on this board have done their training recently and would recommend a site in and around Frederick or Rockville, and if you’d have advice on the wording for good and substantial reason.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely get a solid take on your prospects for obtaining the permit (and if so, an understanding of restrictions or not) before going to down the training rabbit hole's time and expense.

In broad strokes, what's your intended basis for G&S? There's a lot of experience on this board, and we can at help with the reality check if you can at least rough it out.

Terps

Apr 26, 2020
    Definitely get a solid take on your prospects for obtaining the permit (and if so, an understanding of restrictions or not) before going to down the training rabbit hole's time and expense.

In broad strokes, what's your intended basis for G&S? There's a lot of experience on this board, and we can at help with the reality check if you can at least rough it out.

Occam, Besides my basic desire for self defense, I do work that requires considerable off-hour support and travel. I tend to carry some expensive equipment. I’ve already inquired and my work won’t sponsor a CCW so I’d be on my own to validate any claims to this effect. I’m not sure if that would be enough to suffice to the State for G&S.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Occam, Besides my basic desire for self defense, I do work that requires considerable off-hour support and travel. I tend to carry some expensive equipment. I’ve already inquired and my work won’t sponsor a CCW so I’d be on my own to validate any claims to this effect. I’m not sure if that would be enough to suffice to the State for G&S.

This is where the rubber meets the road. If you're connecting your job responsibilities (carrying equipment, being on call, etc) to your G&S, and you're not an owner or partner in the business, then you're certainly going to need your employer's blessings and direct acknowledgement - in writing, and subject to a call from an MSP investigator - of the nature of the gig. And if a permit is issued it would almost certainly be restricted to "while conducting business as an employee of ..."

Maryland considers your basic desire for self defense to be irrelevant, because Maryland.

You sound like a busy, resourceful person who's been around the block. Consider starting your own little side business. Doesn't have to be much, it just as to be real. Consulting, lawn mowing ... whatever. Make sure its revenue, however modest, is reflected in your banking and your personal taxes. Doesn't have to be an LLC or Inc. A sole proprietorship is fine.

The advantage of this? You're a business owner. Means you can get an unrestricted permit.

If your employer's not feeling frisky about getting involved or at least willing to define your job and answer questions about it, that gig won't figure into your application. By definition. Wish it weren't true!

Terps

Apr 26, 2020
    This is where the rubber meets the road. If you're connecting your job responsibilities (carrying equipment, being on call, etc) to your G&S, and you're not an owner or partner in the business, then you're certainly going to need your employer's blessings and direct acknowledgement - in writing, and subject to a call from an MSP investigator - of the nature of the gig. And if a permit is issued it would almost certainly be restricted to "while conducting business as an employee of ..."

Maryland considers your basic desire for self defense to be irrelevant, because Maryland.

You sound like a busy, resourceful person who's been around the block. Consider starting your own little side business. Doesn't have to be much, it just as to be real. Consulting, lawn mowing ... whatever. Make sure its revenue, however modest, is reflected in your banking and your personal taxes. Doesn't have to be an LLC or Inc. A sole proprietorship is fine.

The advantage of this? You're a business owner. Means you can get an unrestricted permit.

If your employer's not feeling frisky about getting involved or at least willing to define your job and answer questions about it, that gig won't figure into your application. By definition. Wish it weren't true!

OCCAM, thank you for the input. I really appreciate the assist!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If related to your current employment , your employer must right a letter REQUESTING for you to be armed for your job duties . Simply a neutral statement to the effect that " they don't object " is insufficient .

Added - In that hypothetical situation , the language would currently be " while conducting business as ( your title ) for ( your employer ) " .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since nobody's mentioned yet , MSI is a fine organization , and among other things assists their members regarding the W&C Permit application process

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    G&S has never changed IMHO , if you don't fit into or check off a couple boxes you will not get a permit . It is not easy , to the general public and liberals that think it is easy i say Kiss It . You should be able to carry because your life has value , not because you have expensive gear or a nice car .

This state sucks a huge donkey member , please convince me otherwise . To the OP just because you carry valuable gear you will not qualify must be something else and if so you have not shared that something else .

Don't mind me just a bit on edge this morning what a shitty day i am having so far .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom