• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does anyone know of a public range that one can shoot crossbows at, within an hour or so of Glen Burnie? I can bring my own target block, that's not a problem. Problem is finding a place to do it with 40yds.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    If you know an AGC member, they also have a nice archery range. Can also qualify there as well (member or not).

Edit: Anne Arundel Archers does not allow crossbows. My bad!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I used to go to a local school yard that had a steep hill to use as a backstop---kids arent on the fields like they used to be when I was a kid. It is perfectly legal. When I went to school there years ago (1960s) thats where the archery butts were set up for gym class.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Does anyone know of a public range that one can shoot crossbows at, within an hour or so of Glen Burnie? I can bring my own target block, that's not a problem. Problem is finding a place to do it with 40yds.

I don't know of any public or private archery ranges that allow crossbows on their property...

The problem is that the crossbow bolts will destroy regular archery targets VERY quickly...

Some of the private Archery Clubs do have a special range with Straw Bales for Broadhead Arrows. These targets are for Members only, no guests allowed...

Given the current political climate, I would avoid parks & school yards...

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks, I have crossbow rated target, just can't find a place that would get me 40 yds or so to check zero. I had access to a farm in the past, but that has been sold. Backyard is to small and neighbors.
    Carrying the Block 100 yds into the woods, isn't to practical either. Doable, just not easy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I can get to 40 yds at AGC. Not "public" though. I think you can get to 40 yds at some others.

I don't know of any public or private archery ranges that allow crossbows on their property...

The problem is that the crossbow bolts will destroy regular archery targets VERY quickly...

Some of the private Archery Clubs do have a special range with Straw Bales for Broadhead Arrows. These targets are for Members only, no guests allowed...

Given the current political climate, I would avoid parks & school yards...

Most archery ranges have entered the 20th century and "allow" crossbows now. You may have to bring your own target though.

ETA: if you cannot get to 40 yds but know your bow's speed, use a ballistic calculator like Strelok. It'll calculate drop pretty accurately.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD

If you have not found anything yet and you are willing to come down to Clinton you can test your 40 yard zero in my backyard archery range. Bring your target because all of mine have become soft and the bolts will go in past the fletching. PM if interested.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Joseph, Thanks for the offer. I'm going to hit the one Jason mentioned at Gunpowder. I have it laser sighted just need to tweak it a bit, and thanks again.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I can get to 40 yds at AGC. Not "public" though. I think you can get to 40 yds at some others.

Most archery ranges have entered the 20th century and "allow" crossbows now. You may have to bring your own target though.

ETA: if you cannot get to 40 yds but know your bow's speed, use a ballistic calculator like Strelok. It'll calculate drop pretty accurately.

Can you name 1 or 2 clubs that DO allow crossbows..?

I've been involved in Archery for many decades & I can't name 1..?

Please let us know...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Can you name 1 or 2 clubs that DO allow crossbows..?

I've been involved in Archery for many decades & I can't name 1..?

Please let us know...

AGC and most of the Izaak Walton chapters allow crossbows. I say "most" because I have not been to them all - but I am pretty sure that they all do. Here are the range rules for Izaak Walton Rockville. Crossbows allowed. I have qualified with crossbow at Glenbrook, Ft Meade, and Meyer station as well.

Clubs generally allow crossbows but may or may not supply a target for them. You may have to supply your own target. AGC for example until recently did not (and still does not) allow crossbows with their 3 large targets. But if you supply your own, you are (and have always been) good to go. I have used that archery range (and others) on and off with a crossbow for longer than I care to say. Recently, AGC added a crossbow block to the range as well. I still like to bring my own and I also see people practicing with 3D targets up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom