• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angler

Mar 30, 2010
    It's an East Coast thing. Really. And I don't get it.

Went on a 6 mile hike on a very popular USFS trail just outside Tucson (500,000 pop). It was very crowded. We hiked main trails and side trails. Did not see a single piece of litter. Try that anywhere in MD......

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It just really irritated me that people cannot take better care of the Public hunting lands that they are given an opportunity to use.

Google "tragedy of the commons". It's a classic dilemma of modern economic theory. Short version? If its not their shit, people won't take care of it. Sad, but true. When I mountain bike, I actually pick up other people's trash I find on the trail; I appreciate the fact that we are permitted to ride there, and don't want some turd to f*ck it up for everyone.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It's an East Coast thing. Really. And I don't get it.

Went on a 6 mile hike on a very popular USFS trail just outside Tucson (500,000 pop). It was very crowded. We hiked main trails and side trails. Did not see a single piece of litter. Try that anywhere in MD......

Higher concentration of earth loving, tree hugging hippies, prairie fairies and Woodsey Owl's Pals.

East Coast versions are usually lazier and wait for Earth Day, Arbor Day or a Solstice to clean up. Get more action from Boy Scouts working on their merit badges and Eagle Scout Projects.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    SporkMan LIVES !!!

Things like this is popping up everywhere. They move on and leave the mess

There used to be a homeless guy who hung out in the woods across from my house. That looks like his kitchen. He comandeered an old sofa from somewhere to sleep on.

The kids called him SporkMan because they found a whole bunch of those plastic spoon/fork thingies amoungst the trash he left there.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Higher concentration of earth loving, tree hugging hippies, prairie fairies and Woodsey Owl's Pals.

East Coast versions are usually lazier and wait for Earth Day, Arbor Day or a Solstice to clean up. Get more action from Boy Scouts working on their merit badges and Eagle Scout Projects.

I couldn't disagree with you more. AZ is probably one of the most conservative, non-hippie states out there. I think it has to do with a culture that hasn't forgotten their connection to land and the resources they provide. I was raised to respect the land by parents that were the first generation off the ranch. I think that matters. A lot.

All of the urbanites out here have forgotten their place in the natural scheme of things.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I couldn't disagree with you more. AZ is probably one of the most conservative, non-hippie states out there. I think it has to do with a culture that hasn't forgotten their connection to land and the resources they provide. I was raised to respect the land by parents that were the first generation off the ranch. I think that matters. A lot.

All of the urbanites out here have forgotten their place in the natural scheme of things.

I've been to Phoenix and the influx of La-La Land refugess has been as bad to that area as the illegals from SOB.

Phoenix relative humidity has gone into double digits because of the idiots wanting to have green lawns and swimming pools.

Electrical consumption has skyrocketed because people wanting AC instead of a good, old fashion swamper on the roof.

No offense but AZ is not as conservative as the Goldwater days and if it was then they wouldn't be electing people like McCain or Napolitano into office.

EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    In more general terms, people who who litter that are straight up asshats. And believe me, I'm no tree hugger. Pave the world I say.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Not exactly on topic but when i was in Germany we were walking a path around a small lake and came across one piece of trash. When we picked it up it was an AAFES cup (Army Air Force Exchange Service).

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    I've been to Phoenix and the influx of La-La Land refugess has been as bad to that area as the illegals from SOB.

Phoenix relative humidity has gone into double digits because of the idiots wanting to have green lawns and swimming pools.

Electrical consumption has skyrocketed because people wanting AC instead of a good, old fashion swamper on the roof.

No offense but AZ is not as conservative as the Goldwater days and if it was then they wouldn't be electing people like McCain or Napolitano into office.

None taken, but I still disagree strongly. AZ is still firmly a "red state." Outside of major metros I'll argue that you will find more Goldwater conservatives than in MD (or pick any other East Coast state).

Have you got a source for the humidity claim? I call BS.

Phoenix is a pit. But it still has low per capita water consumption compared to other cities. Tucson is even lower. AZ is the 18th highest per capita water user in the US http://water.usgs.gov/watuse/tables/totab.st.html. Water use is dramatically declining in both places. Lawns and pools are on the decline. AZ is ranked 45 out of all US states in per capita energy consumption http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/ranks/rank30.html VA is #21 and MD is #41. The majority of AZ's power is clean natural gas and hydropower. MD and VA use coal. But, we weren't talking about other resource uses. We were talking about litter. Your statement about high resource use contradicts your first statement about tree huggers. I'm confused.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    None taken, but I still disagree strongly. AZ is still firmly a "red state." Outside of major metros I'll argue that you will find more Goldwater conservatives than in MD (or pick any other East Coast state).

Have you got a source for the humidity claim? I call BS.

BS to you maybe but I've talked to other life long residents, US Weather Service and NOAA. Of course, the RH% is still better in AZ than Maryland or any other seaboard state.

Phoenix is a pit. But it still has low per capita water consumption compared to other cities. Tucson is even lower. AZ is the 18th highest per capita water user in the US http://water.usgs.gov/watuse/tables/totab.st.html. Water use is dramatically declining in both places. Lawns and pools are on the decline. AZ is ranked 45 out of all US states in per capita energy consumption http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2010/ranks/rank30.html VA is #21 and MD is #41. The majority of AZ's power is clean natural gas and hydropower. MD and VA use coal. But, we weren't talking about other resource uses. We were talking about litter. Your statement about high resource use contradicts your first statement about tree huggers. I'm confused.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest with you about AZ being a great state. I'm not stupid enough to try to compare Maryland to any state for conservatism of the population but your red state had the bluest of Govs with Janet Napolitano. John McCain maybe your kind of "conservative" but he ain't mine.

In the 80s and 90s, you have to admit the influx of Californians altered the region. The was an explosion of lawns and pools in Metro Phoenix, if that is in decline due to the economy than congrats and I hope the trend continues. Same for the areas of Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana that suffer with the refugees from Cali.

Now my first statement about the tree huggers, there are more of them out there than around Maryland. Majority of Sierra Club membership is in the SW and West Coast. They enjoy the great weather and the outdoors and I'm glad they clean up after themselves and help keep the enviroment clean.

As for tree huggers, there are more Sierra Club members in the SW and West Coast than around here. Oh, we have them in the extreme liberal areas like MoCo, Towson, Annapolis and NoVa were there are health clusters to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom