• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I acquired a very nice Mosin-Nagant M-44 in a trade with a member here some months back. It is a 1955 Izhevsk and despite my best efforts, the barrel was shiny but the grooves were not.

I took it up to Hap Baker on Saturday. After running 58 rounds through it , I confirmed that it will not shoot straight unless the bayonet is deployed. Otherwise it shoots off to the left.

It was shooting consistently higher that it should be with surplus ammo. At 100 yards, it was almost 12" high and should have been more like 2" with the rear sight set @ 200. Research indicates that many have the same problem with these guns.

Even with the poor showing on my targets, I still had a blast, got some compliments on my little piece of history and even let a young Marine fire it. He said he had only fired an M-14 before and was thrilled when I told him to take a shot. I must admit that I just wanted to see the concussion inside of the box they make you place your muzzle into before firing. When he fired, it seemed to make the whole table jump. It was awesome. The look on his face was priceless, too. I made sure to give him my new recoil pad(which worked wonderfully), warned him that it has a 3lb. pull and no creep!

This also confirmed that the gun was shooting high for another shooter. He hit in the same area that I had been.

Well, I came home and cleaned it up and was pleasantly surprised when I looked down the barrel. It is now bright and shiny! Woohoo! I had read that sometimes shooting an old gun will clean the grooves out. It appears to have done just that so now that barrel truly looks as nice as the rest of the gun.

Moving forward, I have admitted to myself that I am now addicted and must get more Mosin food very soon! First, I plan to invest in a set of Mojo sights. I really hate changing anything on the rifle but I will carefully store the original sights in case I decide to sell it later and include them. I prefer to keep my guns as original as possible, but I also am OCD about wanting to hit where I am aiming so that will win out in this case. It is just too far off to try to compensate. I have seen some suggest slipping something over the front sight post to extend it but such fixes are not tough enough to meet my standards and are almost all short term repairs at best.

I will surely reload for it so a couple of hundred rounds of some Boxer primed brass cased rounds and a set of dies will also be added to my list. Another bullet size to hunt down and stock, too. Gotta look into which powders work best,... I love this stuff!

Now, this is not to say that I won't grab a couple of spam cans if the price is right. So far, the only surplus ammunition that I have had any issues with is some Hungarian brass Mosin food where a few rounds are slightly corroded. I am sure that it had been out of the can for years before I acquired it although most of the paper wrapping was in tact. It still feeds, goes BOOM, and ejects fine, it just isn't pretty.

All things considered, I love this M-44 and it shoots tight groups. Once I get it fixed up and hitting at the correct elevation, I will begin the hunt for some of it's cousins!

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    i thought all these old guns didn't shoot well, i guess its just really rare. very lucky it worked out well. can you shoot modern ammo with it, or do you have to use vintage ammo?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    i thought all these old guns didn't shoot well, i guess its just really rare. very lucky it worked out well. can you shoot modern ammo with it, or do you have to use vintage ammo?
    Keep reading, most of these "old guns" shoot as-well or better-than modern guns. :)

All guns can shoot modern ammo, if it's made to the specifications of the original ammo. Effectively all smokeless powder rifles chambered in 7.62x54R can shoot modern ammo.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Keep reading, most of these "old guns" shoot as-well or better-than modern guns. :)

All guns can shoot modern ammo, if it's made to the specifications of the original ammo. Effectively all smokeless powder rifles chambered in 7.62x54R can shoot modern ammo.

On your first, that’s very much not true. Your typical WWI or WWI era bolt gun even with a scope mounted is probably not going to shoot better than about 2MOA even with modern ammo. Now, you can accurize it and get better grouping, sure. Also yes, some do manage better than that, but they would be the exception, not the rule.

Your typical $300 bolt gun from Savage or whomever is probably going to shoot 1MOA out of the box or at least close to that with the right ammo.

Modern guns are generally much more accurate. That’s what happens with improving technology and engineering on the manufacturing side of things.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Modern ammunition is available and is probably less powerful than the commie cartridges. Mosin-Nagants should handle just about anything. They are plenty strong.

Russian snipers might disagree with the accuracy of these old guns. I am certain that it can perform much better than my eyesight will allow me to focus. As long as I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with it, I will be happy. Although the original sights allow me to hit the target, Mojo sights should help me to place the shot better and hold tighter groups because of the peep type apertures. Old eyes do not work like they used to so peep sights are much easier for me to use.

Perhaps one day, I will find an old sniper model Mosin and see what they can really do.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats! Sounds like a winner of an M44.

One question- you state the arsenal as Izhevsk and year as ‘55.
    Izhevsk wasn’t making M44’s in ‘55. Could the year be ‘45?

Now, Romania made M44s in the mid-50s and the arsenal stamp is often mistaken for Izhevsk with a quick glance.

I’ll be interested is hearing what you have. Either one is fine, Romanians are a little more collectible.

***You can also adjust POI with the sights to keep from having to deploy the bayonet ;)

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    You are correct, sir. 1945. Typo!

It says made in Russia in the import stamp and appears to have Russian letters in the first 2 digits of the serial number stamped on the top of the barrel.

Has some marks which may indicate it was rearsenalled and no markings at all on the stock except for a small repair on one side and a few minor scratches. Not counter bored. Overall, I think I have a nice piece. All the numbers match, too.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan

thanks, didnot know that. I bet 54R kicks like a donkey!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Feels about like shooting 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, it sucks for a first time shooter, but otherwise it’s .308 power levels. A little less than modern .30-06, about .308 or M1 Ball (.30-06) recoil force.

Really it is the straight stock and steel butt pad.

What really sucks is a sporterized 98 mauser or k98. 8mm mauser is about modern .30-06 levels of power, and that steel butt plate. Ouch. T-shirt on and I am tearing up after 30 rounds if I don’t throw a glove on the butt of the rifle to give me a little padding.

I mention sporterized as most are a pound or so lighter with some of that wood and barrel missing.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I picked up a Caldwell Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield and it works very well. They claim it will absorb 85% of the recoil from a 8mm Mauser round and after 58 rounds through my M-44 my shoulder was fine. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes to shoot any larger cartridge. It slips on an off easily and can be used while shooting any rifle. Great if you don't want to modify an old gun by installing a recoil pad, too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That reminds me I’ve got a slip on recoil pad or two laying around I should fish out. My 98 really isn’t too bad for mag, but run 30+ through it at the range and hating life a bit by the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom